Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
babcock has no time for him because he's lazy off the ice and in practice, has a hard time keeping his head in the game, and isn't much of a teammate either. the first minute goals epidemic is all about mental preparation, and bernier has none. he's just bad for the team in every way.

KILLERLEAFFAN101

Jan 19, 2008
Toronto
babcock has no time for him because he's lazy off the ice and in practice, has a hard time keeping his head in the game, and isn't much of a teammate either. the first minute goals epidemic is all about mental preparation, and bernier has none. he's just bad for the team in every way.

It's sad but true. He just comes off as a pompous a**, especially when things are going tough.

I think there has to come a time when we've seen this for almost a full 2 years that people need to stop making excuses for the guy.

LeafsBro

34 I 91 I 16
Oct 18, 2011
Barrie, Ontario
I truly believe that Bernier has the talent to be a true no. 1 goaltender on a top team but his lack of focus and low compete level are keeping him from reaching that level. Maybe he'll be able to turn it around elsewhere but at this point I seriously doubt that.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

I have all the respect for you, Zeke, but this is mainly just crap. You have absolutely no idea how he is as a person and in practice, and what kind of teammate he is. Pretending to know just lessens you as a poster.

If there's one thing that he's got consistent praise about from staff it's his work ethic off the ice, and the manner in which he's handled himself. If we are to make any kind of assumptions, it would be the other way from what you're suggesting. Preferably, we shouldn't make any such assumptions at all.

The point where I think you are spot on is his concentration and mental preparation, which can be statistically supported as well.

It's sad but true. He just comes off as a pompous a**, especially when things are going tough.

I think there has to come a time when we've seen this for almost a full 2 years that people need to stop making excuses for the guy.

People need to stop making excuses for sure, Bernier has been absolute, undeniable garbage, but people should also go out of their way to make **** up to give voice to their own feelings.

He's currently a bad goalie and that's all that matters, there's no reason to try for a character assassination as well.

KILLERLEAFFAN101

Jan 19, 2008
Toronto
I have all the respect for you, Zeke, but this is mainly just crap. You have absolutely no idea how he is as a person and in practice, and what kind of teammate he is. Pretending to know just lessens you as a poster.

If there's one thing that he's got consistent praise about from staff it's his work ethic off the ice, and the manner in which he's handled himself. If we are to make any kind of assumptions, it would be the other way from what you're suggesting. Preferably, we shouldn't make any such assumptions at all.

The point where I think you are spot on is his concentration and mental preparation, which can be statistically supported as well.

People need to stop making excuses for sure, Bernier has been absolute, undeniable garbage, but people should also go out of their way to make **** up to give voice to their own feelings.

He's currently a bad goalie and that's all that matters, there's no reason to try for a character assassination as well.

I'm not one for rumours, but when there's been rumours for a while he's been a bad teammate and about himself it's hard to not look into it. Well put though

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I'm not one for rumours, but when there's been rumours for a while he's been a bad teammate and about himself it's hard to not look into it. Well put though

Mind backing that up? And not with some anecdotal evidence at best? Honestly just sounds like you hate the guy, as you have been character assassinating Bernier now for a while.

KILLERLEAFFAN101

Jan 19, 2008
Toronto
Mind backing that up? And not with some anecdotal evidence at best? Honestly just sounds like you hate the guy, as you have been character assassinating Bernier now for a while.

I don't post on these boards much, and this has been the first time I've judged his character but sure.

As for the character, old teammates have brought it up enough. Darryl Sutter has (similar coach to Babcock in the old school habits), and even Mike Richards who I grew up with (not the best I know haha).

They all think his heads never in the game and always looking out for himself. Mike's words were "never seen someone so talented into himself". Take it as you will

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I don't post on these boards much, and this has been the first time I've judged his character but sure.

As for the character, old teammates have brought it up enough. Darryl Sutter has (similar coach to Babcock in the old school habits), and even Mike Richards who I grew up with (not the best I know haha).

They all think his heads never in the game and always looking out for himself. Mike's words were "never seen someone so talented into himself". Take it as you will

As I thought, nothing. I even remember Hextall raving about him when he was traded. Not saying you're lying, but your argument is just hearsay, with no concrete evidence behind it. There's never been any reports in the media about his supposed lack of character either. No smoke, nothing.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
They should play him again before the deadline and hope for a shutout.

Not sure why they aren't giving him another chance. Pump and dump.

OvenMittz*

Zeke again.. You have no knowledge of what's going on.. and you "think" you do.

Sorry pal.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
except this team isn't good to even give Tretiak a shot at a shutout.

There may be too many 'kids' on here who might not even know who Tretiak is! ;)

Oh, and he would have a better chance at getting a shutout, with this team, over either Bernier or Reimer. :naughty:

Last edited:

lindroshomer

Jan 21, 2016
Ontario
They should play him again before the deadline and hope for a shutout.

Not sure why they aren't giving him another chance. Pump and dump.

It's not getting any better, they're probably just hoping at this point they don't have to retain salary if they move him.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach

There are so many reasons to dislike Bernier's game, there's no need to question his character.

ON ICE he does look lethargic and that annoys me. But off-ice I'm guessing he's just like any other player.

If you open the pandora's box of who is liked and who isn't, then prepare to be surprised.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Judging from the most discerning of tastes, YouTube comments lol, The tide has turned. Bernier isn't beloved by Leaf fans and Reimer has become something of a redemption story. Like Seabiscuit

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Judging from the most discerning of tastes, YouTube comments lol, The tide has turned. Bernier isn't beloved by Leaf fans and Reimer has become something of a redemption story. Like Seabiscuit

I think the Bernier supporters have jumped ship, but I think the majority of fans don't want Reimer either.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

Zeke again.. You have no knowledge of what's going on.. and you "think" you do.
Sorry pal.

He is speculating ... but it seems just about right to me.
As well, he doesnt have to speculate. Why would a coach be rosy to a player struggling so badly ? Bernier takes a bad team and makes them tank harder.

Bernier is playing like a deer in headlights ..... he's not going to be a Leaf after next year.

I would resign Bernier to $2M per for 3 years, use him as a backup until a better option comes around.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto

To be fair though, we're all human and can evaluate humans pretty well and pretty quickly unless evidence tells us otherwise. We all make superficial character judgments on people we barely know or know of. Bernier objectively seems like a turd.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
As I thought, nothing. I even remember Hextall raving about him when he was traded. Not saying you're lying, but your argument is just hearsay, with no concrete evidence behind it. There's never been any reports in the media about his supposed lack of character either. No smoke, nothing.

Interviews and Instagram.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
To be fair though, we're all human and can evaluate humans pretty well and pretty quickly unless evidence tells us otherwise. We all make superficial character judgments on people we barely know or know of. Bernier objectively seems like a turd.

Yeah, this forum couldn't see what Phil Kessel was in front of their own very eyes. I feel blessed to be in the company of such great character judgers. :sarcasm:

Interviews and Instagram

Just stop. :facepalm:

Slot

Mar 6, 2012

As far as unprepared goes, I know it's been beaten to death, the Nelson Mandela thing shows that the guy doesn't put in any extra effort. 30 seconds of a web browser and internet connection would have saved Bernier a world of hurt.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
Reimer is worth keeping. He has done extremely well this year given the team in front of him. Bernier has played himself off the team. Although yes I can see it going either way. Lou can make this sale, Steve Ott coming back?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad