Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Quiet in regards to being malicious. Which you're suggesting is the case with these numbers

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Bernier is flat out not good enough. I will be extremely disappointed if we hang onto him and play him next year. I don't care that he has a year remaining, surely Lou has seen enough here and will force the situation.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
If Bernier is not good enough then what does it say about your boy Mr. "Just OK" Reimer who they couldn't even trade for a bag of puck and had to take salary in return ��

Reimer has proved himself in the NHL as a starter. His numbers speak for themselves. He was a rental trade with an expiring contract and as we have seen goaltenders don't fetch much in trade. I hope we sign him in the summer actually. I think behind a quality team and defence he can do great things.

I do think his injury history is definitely a concern for teams thinking of signing him longterm and hurt his trade value. Groin and concussion on his resume multiple times is not good.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Take it you guys don't like Riemer.

Will be nice to see how he plays with a quality defensive team in front of him.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
If Bernier is not good enough then what does it say about your boy Mr. "Just OK" Reimer who they couldn't even trade for a bag of puck and had to take salary in return ��

What are you even saying?

Anyway, this is the Bernier thread, not the Reimer one.

Bernier might well be traded tomorrow; hence the lack of comment on him by Lou when he talked about the Leafs' crease.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
What are you even saying?

Anyway, this is the Bernier thread, not the Reimer one.

Bernier might well be traded tomorrow; hence the lack of comment on him by Lou when he talked about the Leafs' crease.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

He has no value right now. None.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

He has no value right now. None.

That was my initial thought. With more reflection on Lou's post-Reimer trade comments in which he doesn't mention Bernier as part of the goalie situation going forward at all, it seems to be a move to hold his cards close to his vest. In other words, a Bernier deal could still happen, but the other team is intent on waiting til the deadline and other options shake out.

Of course, that other team could choose to go with someone else, or do nothing.

Carolina or Calgary are teams that might want to pull the trigger to give Bernier a run down the stretch and shed the expiring deals of Ward or Hiller respectively.

And who knows what a team like Colorado think with Varlamov struggling. Bernier with retained salary provides them with a 1B option, perhaps.

Something could still go down, as unlikely as it seems.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
the only deal I see are two possibilites:

To carolina or calgary for ward/hiller and a pick.

Yup, good call. Those are the destinations that have been pretty hotly speculated.

Some people thought Calgary would be interested in Reimer, but not as a rental. Bernier as a one year option makes perhaps more sense for teams outside the playoff picture.

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Unfortunately the Reimer discussion thread is locked, and people want to wax poetic in the appreciation thread so I will post this here, though for the life of me I don't know why I am bothering. :laugh:

The reality is, that San Jose acquired Reimer as a back up goalie, so even if you think Lou blew it and could have gotten more, the fact remains, the only team interested in Reimer did not want him as a starter.

Now wasn't the big controversy here about who deserved to be a starter?
The choice was between LA's old back up or Reimer. The ultimate answer as to who deserves to be the starter is neither.
Neither consistently took the reins. Both had moments of brilliance and moments of utter failure.

No Reimer is not coming back any time soon. I just don't think that if he was that valuable to the team he would have been dealt. I don't believe he was asking for $6 mill for 6 years either, but he felt he was a starter and probably felt he deserved more term and $ than Bernier based on this season. Lou has moved on.
Some think the noble Reimer would never lower himself to come back because of how he was treated so terribly...BS. He thinks he is a starter. If he thought he could come back to Toronto and be the starter he would do it in a heart beat. Not because he is so gosh shucks loyal, but because if Toronto is the only team that see him as a starter, then that is where he wants to be. But he won't get the invitation. Some things are said to the media in sports, just to be PC. Saying Reimer might be back was one of those.

Now to Bernier....I'm quite tired of the "he is too small" BS. Any goalie in the area of 6' (and I agree he is a bit under that) can compete successfully if they play the right way for their size. Very few goals have been scored on Bernier because of his size, but a lot have been scored because was too passive. A smaller goalie needs to be more aggressive.

I'm not sure he cannot get there, and honestly, the Leafs have no need for an elite goalie so I'm fine if he is still here to work on it next year, and I think he will do better if he is, but if he is gone I'm ok with it too.
I'd really like to see a goalie who is a good puck handler, with great rebound control. Those two factors alone would make a world of difference, and are qualities the Leafs haven't had in a goalie since Belfour. It is pretty simple...reduce scoring opportunities and your goalie doesn't have to be nearly as spectacular.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Been playing better of late with a .931 in his last 5. Hopefully the start of a strong finish to his season. .916 since Jan 1st as well. We'll need him to play well as our #1 next season.

Maybe if he plays well finishing out the season and into next maybe we give him an extention.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Reimer is garbage; Bernier is garbage

Are you a San Jose fan? if so how is Reimer doing with you guys?, he was pretty good here, but a lot of fans jumped off the bandwagon after the 2013 collapse. Obviously that collapse was not just one person, but there are a lot of irrational fans here in Leaf nation, I hope the fans in San Jose are better.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
It's rubbish

When we traded for him and he played that first season he was great and I finally thought
"It's nice not having to worry about goaltending for a change"

And now we're back to worrying

Goaltending really is a crap shoot isn't it!!!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Unfortunately the Reimer discussion thread is locked, and people want to wax poetic in the appreciation thread so I will post this here, though for the life of me I don't know why I am bothering. :laugh:

The reality is, that San Jose acquired Reimer as a back up goalie, so even if you think Lou blew it and could have gotten more, the fact remains, the only team interested in Reimer did not want him as a starter.

The choice was between LA's old back up or Reimer. The ultimate answer as to who deserves to be the starter is neither.
Neither consistently took the reins. Both had moments of brilliance and moments of utter failure.

No Reimer is not coming back any time soon. I just don't think that if he was that valuable to the team he would have been dealt. I don't believe he was asking for $6 mill for 6 years either, but he felt he was a starter and probably felt he deserved more term and $ than Bernier based on this season. Lou has moved on.
Some think the noble Reimer would never lower himself to come back because of how he was treated so terribly...BS. He thinks he is a starter. If he thought he could come back to Toronto and be the starter he would do it in a heart beat. Not because he is so gosh shucks loyal, but because if Toronto is the only team that see him as a starter, then that is where he wants to be. But he won't get the invitation. Some things are said to the media in sports, just to be PC. Saying Reimer might be back was one of those.

Now to Bernier....I'm quite tired of the "he is too small" BS. Any goalie in the area of 6' (and I agree he is a bit under that) can compete successfully if they play the right way for their size. Very few goals have been scored on Bernier because of his size, but a lot have been scored because was too passive. A smaller goalie needs to be more aggressive.

I'm not sure he cannot get there, and honestly, the Leafs have no need for an elite goalie so I'm fine if he is still here to work on it next year, and I think he will do better if he is, but if he is gone I'm ok with it too.
I'd really like to see a goalie who is a good puck handler, with great rebound control. Those two factors alone would make a world of difference, and are qualities the Leafs haven't had in a goalie since Belfour. It is pretty simple...reduce scoring opportunities and your goalie doesn't have to be nearly as spectacular.

Nice post, agree with everything.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I can't wait for everyone to be riding his jock next year.

So many bookmarks just waiting

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

A treat as always to read your posts on goaltending.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
The only positive is that this should pad his trade value for the summer.

Bernier is fine at playing for spurts, but that's about it. Move him in the summer and keep looking for a #1 we can roll with for the long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad