Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
And why do you care? He's not your son. He's a big boy and he can get pedicures as often as he likes.

I think you're the only poster on this board, regardless of which goaltender they were a bigger fan of, that brings up the most random **** about the other guy. I'm genuinely asking, why do you care if he gets pedicures?

And also how is getting pedicures a bad thing?

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I think you're the only poster on this board, regardless of which goaltender they were a bigger fan of, that brings up the most random **** about the other guy. I'm genuinely asking, why do you care if he gets pedicures?

And also how is getting pedicures a bad thing?

Lmao.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Good again tonight. Really unfortunate on the two goals against. I'm sure someone will pin the double deflection solely on him though. .933 on the night.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Oh yaa bernier has been great for 3 games. 3 MEANINGLESS GAMES

WHETE THE **** WAS HE WHEN THE GAMES NATTETED

I don't want this guy around.m

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
It doesn't really matter how he does now. The games are meaningless. He'll have some more good performances down the stretch here and likely a couple of stinkers.

The fanboys will applaud him after the good games and disappear after the bad ones.

It's all very predictable.

Regression to the mean was also predictable, as well as inevitable. We collectively noted that. His numbers were bound to improve overall after how poor he was for most of the season.

He will likely return to .905-.915 form next season. That's not cause for celebration (it's still below average), just reasonable expectation. Then again, he was expected to be the outright starter this year and that fell through. The thing is, you just never really know what you're going to get with Bernier aside from a lot of exposed net that he may or may not spectacularly cover depending on how he's playing on the night.

In his career year he was still wildly inconsistent and had a number of really ugly gaffes and stinker outings. Those won't disappear, and that is a logical conclusion because they have plagued him his entire career no matter how well he has been playing.

So, fanboys, I sense your giddiness because of a handful of meaningless games, but you would be wise to look at the big picture. Don't embarrass yourselves.

I just hope some GM takes a chance on him (with Nonis unemployed that seems unlikely) and we can move on and focus on acquiring a reliable goaltender with more appropriate attributes for the modern position.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto

He crumbled when Babcock placed expectations (to start 65 games) on him that he had never had before.

He failed when it counted and a nice little run down the stretch doesn't change that.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
agreed. can't wait for some of these posters to eat their words.

What do you reasonably expect? Do you actually hold that the past two years were just a blip for Bernier and he will go on to be an elite goalie?

Please, go on and say that outright so that you can eat your words later.

But no one need eat his words for stating facts (see above).

imapylon

Mar 6, 2016
I'm not sure what his future is as a Leaf, but I still believe he can be an NHL starting goalie. I've liked him for sometime as I was trying for years to grab him in various fantasy leagues, finally got him a short time before he became a Maple Leaf

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

While some fans may be fooled by the sporadic performances by Reimer and Bernier this season, the management group isn't. Expect the leafs to go hard after a goaltender this summer. Lou already dropped the "we may not use all those picks" hint earlier this month. ;)

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
While some fans may be fooled by the sporadic performances by Reimer and Bernier this season, the management group isn't. Expect the leafs to go hard after a goaltender this summer. Lou already dropped the "we may not use all those picks" hint earlier this month. ;)

I can't see us using assets to acquire a goalie for next season.

Let Bernier play. If he plays well, great, added value to be dealt down the road. If he doesn't oh well, another good pick. Next offseason is where we should look for a different solution if need be.

Mad Brills*

I can't see us using assets to acquire a goalie for next season.

Let Bernier play. If he plays well, great, added value to be dealt down the road. If he doesn't oh well, another good pick. Next offseason is where we should look for a different solution if need be.

Wrong.

They need to draft a goalie.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Wrong.

They need to draft a goalie.

Hey Mad Brills,

Completely agree. However, the goalie drafted this offseason or next will not be ready in two years. Goalie development is much slower.

We'll need to bring in another goalie in two years if Bernier falters next season.

I haven't given up on Bibeau yet either.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
My guess is they'll roll with Bernier next year and bring in a cheap back-up. I don't see Sparks or Bibeau as an answer going forward but man would it be nice to be wrong!

Either way, I don't think Bernier is here beyond next year

Mad Brills*

Hey Mad Brills,

Completely agree. However, the goalie drafted this offseason or next will not be ready in two years. Goalie development is much slower.

We'll need to bring in another goalie in two years if Bernier falters next season.

I haven't given up on Bibeau yet either.

That's fair. I think they have to draft a goalie solely on the fact that their depth beyond bibeau is non existent. Trading bernier is fine, as long as they sign a cheap UFA. (khudobin/raanta)

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
He crumbled when Babcock placed expectations (to start 65 games) on him that he had never had before.

He failed when it counted and a nice little run down the stretch doesn't change that.

:laugh: The irony, just wow.

Do you not see how ironic this post is coming from the biggest Reimer supporter on Hf?

Reimer crumbled when he faced competition for the #1 job, expectations that he didn't have before then.

He failed when it counted (Game 7, 2013-14 epic collapse) and a nice little run from September to December doesn't change that.

Now let's watch you spin in circles trying to prove how it's not the same thing.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

Do you not see how ironic this post is coming from the biggest Reimer supporter on Hf?

Reimer crumbled when he faced competition for the #1 job, expectations that he didn't have before then.

He failed when it counted (Game 7, 2013-14 epic collapse) and a nice little run from September to December doesn't change that.

Now let's watch you spin in circles trying to prove how it's not the same thing.

I was going to say something but I decided to let it be. I'm tired of arguing with that particular posters.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

I think the real question is whete he was when Babcock did the sholahoopa.

No, honestly, the real question is how anyone can get so livid they can't even write because the goaltender of his favorite team plays well.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Bernier had a rough 3 months and it happens to the best of them. Let's see how he finishes this season and starts the next season before writing his obituary.

We will draft a goalie this year 100% but we were going to do so no matter what. That goalie will be 3 years away at best. We likely will look for a goalie on the trade market this summer as well.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto

I'm concerned about players on this team, not players on another team. This is the Bernier thread. Let's stay on topic.

I'm not going to tell you Reimer is better. I don't need to.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
It doesn't really matter how he does now. The games are meaningless. He'll have some more good performances down the stretch here and likely a couple of stinkers.

The fanboys will applaud him after the good games and disappear after the bad ones.

It's all very predictable.

Regression to the mean was also predictable, as well as inevitable. We collectively noted that. His numbers were bound to improve overall after how poor he was for most of the season.

He will likely return to .905-.915 form next season. That's not cause for celebration (it's still below average), just reasonable expectation. Then again, he was expected to be the outright starter this year and that fell through. The thing is, you just never really know what you're going to get with Bernier aside from a lot of exposed net that he may or may not spectacularly cover depending on how he's playing on the night.

In his career year he was still wildly inconsistent and had a number of really ugly gaffes and stinker outings. Those won't disappear, and that is a logical conclusion because they have plagued him his entire career no matter how well he has been playing.

So, fanboys, I sense your giddiness because of a handful of meaningless games, but you would be wise to look at the big picture. Don't embarrass yourselves.

I just hope some GM takes a chance on him (with Nonis unemployed that seems unlikely) and we can move on and focus on acquiring a reliable goaltender with more appropriate attributes for the modern position.

This is just wrong. Bernier was one of the most consistent goalies that year, and I remember because I did month by month statistics of him a couple of years back, comparing him to goalies around his sv%. You're probably thinking he's inconsistent just because he allowed a couple of softies, but that's not the case at all.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I just have to say one thing. If you repeatedly show yourself incapable of providing fair, balanced measure of a player, calling out others for being fanboys doesn't look good on you.

One ditch isn't better than the other, stay on the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00