Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You are right on all points there. Plus if he is inconsistent next year we dump him at the trade deadline if we can or let him go if we can't.

Even then that is a win bad goaltender means good draft position
I'm looking forward to the expansion draft some of the goaltenders on the market will be drool worthy

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Even then that is a win bad goaltender means good draft position
I'm looking forward to the expansion draft some of the goaltenders on the market will be drool worthy

Ya I think ana will protect gibson as he will be cheaper for longer. Either of them would be my first choice then bishop/vasileskiy. After those I cant think of a duo that wows me. But I'm not putting too much thought into it right now.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I don't know why people are reading so much into the last handful of games. It tells you all you need to know about a goalie's ability to carry a starter's burden on his shoulders when the coach indicates total confidence in him and says he will start 65 games (even after a mediocre pre-season) and he reacts by folding harder than your 98 year old Nan when she drops her walker.

Most goalies don't even get handed that kind of leash without proving something.

This season has told us all we need to know about Bernier. He will get a shot to be the 1B guy here next year most likely, but I think it's a given that the position will be upgraded. He will not be handed the undisputed starter's role again if Lou and Babs are serious about taking steps next season. Barring an absolutely elite season with no characteristically brain-dead stretches, he's gone after next season.

The plus side is his recent play might attract a desperate team even this summer, which would be great!

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I don't know why people are reading so much into the last handful of games. It tells you all you need to know about a goalie's ability to carry a starter's burden on his shoulders when the coach indicates total confidence in him and says he will start 65 games (even after a mediocre pre-season) and he reacts by folding harder than your 98 year old Nan when she drops her walker.

Most goalies don't even get handed that kind of leash without proving something.

This season has told us all we need to know about Bernier. He will get a shot to be the 1B guy here next year most likely, but I think it's a given that the position will be upgraded. He will not be handed the undisputed starter's role again if Lou and Babs are serious about taking steps next season. Barring an absolutely elite season with no characteristically brain-dead stretches, he's gone after next season.

The plus side is his recent play might attract a desperate team even this summer, which would be great!

I'm not gonna argue with you, because it's utterly pointless, but it's been more than a handful of games.

As for the bolded, Bernier had proved he was better than ol Jim boy Reimer, hence the starters role coming into this season.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I'm not gonna argue with you, because it's utterly pointless, but it's been more than a handful of games.

As for the bolded, Bernier had proved he was better than ol Jim boy Reimer, hence the starters role coming into this season.

But what does being better than a goalie you happen to think is garbage really count for? Bernier being able to handle a starting job is what makes him a real starter. Sure, we could sign Jonas Hiller and make Bernier the de facto starter because he will presumably have no competition, but that doesn't make him an actual starter lol.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If we give up assets to get another starter I'm going to be seriously unhappy
In the expansion draft we could possibly get one of the tampa goalies or even Murray from Pitt doing anything next season is next world nuts

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If we give up assets to get another starter I'm going to be seriously unhappy
In the expansion draft we could possibly get one of the tampa goalies or even Murray from Pitt doing anything next season is next world nuts

Next world nut? Salted or unsalted?

But ya, it would be stupid. However, the expansion is not confirmed yet correct?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Next world nut? Salted or unsalted?

But ya, it would be stupid. However, the expansion is not confirmed yet correct?

Yeah but it looks likely
We're in a rebuild we need every asset we can get and going after a goalie who even if he plays well next year is at best going to ruin our draft position is bad
None of the goalies out there at the moment are the solution
I wouldn't touch Andersen with a 10 foot barge pole

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
remember when doug maclean claimed bernier could possibly be the starter towards the end of the year:laugh:

Mad Brills*

Draft a goalie this year + sign a cheap FA to compete with sparks.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Yeah but it looks likely
We're in a rebuild we need every asset we can get and going after a goalie who even if he plays well next year is at best going to ruin our draft position is bad
None of the goalies out there at the moment are the solution
I wouldn't touch Andersen with a 10 foot barge pole

Why don't you like andersen?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Why don't you like andersen?

He's A platoon goalie behind a top defensive core
That gives me a strong feeling that he will bust
When he faces true adversity for the first time then we will know what he truly is and I would not give up assets for that

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Ya I think ana will protect gibson as he will be cheaper for longer. Either of them would be my first choice then bishop/vasileskiy. After those I cant think of a duo that wows me. But I'm not putting too much thought into it right now.

Reimer is better than all those 4 but will be too expensive.
Anderson is not a real starter either and for that will be too expensive too, not worth to trade assets for.
Gibson is a nobody, what has he proven, the only thing he has he's young, but not worth to trade assets for.
Bishop is too expensive, could have kept Reimer, enough said.
Vasilevskiy, much better than Gibson and even younger but not available.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I really hate to bring this thread back to life because of the other half, but does anyone else think bernier is just fully recouped from his groin pull? I had a pulled groin and it took a year before it felt healthy and I'm not a goalie.

Groins are no joke and Bernier will be weak for another injury next season. It all depends how they use him. Babcock might run him down again.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Definitely he is the best option and he's worth nothing to trade
Giving up assets at the moment for another goaltender is not a good option
He's better than the other ufas as well

Bernier is in a contract year next season that might motivate him maybe in the offseason, but still I think he's more interested in TV shows. I wouldn't put much stock in him, he's just too lazy, and would get rid of him as fast as I can.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Reimer is beetter than all those 4 but will be too expensive.
Anderson is not a real starter either and for that will be too expensive too, not worth to trade assets for.
Gibson is a nobody, what has he proven, the only thing he has he's young, but not worth to trade assets for.

wow are you reimers dad or something

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Bernier is in a contract year next season that might motivate him maybe in the offseason, but still I think he's more interested in TV shows. I wouldn't put much stock in him, he's just too lazy, and would get rid of him as fast as I can.

Unsubstantiated garbage, the lot of it.

Don't like the guy? That's fine. Don't make up crap and lies to assassinate him however.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He's A platoon goalie behind a top defensive core
That gives me a strong feeling that he will bust
When he faces true adversity for the first time then we will know what he truly is and I would not give up assets for that

I agree that he is a platoon goalie but he is 26 so he can still develop.
To start the season the ducks were not so good and andersen was the only reason they were competing at all. He was a 939 save percentage and under 2 gga.
Of course that doesn't mean he won't bust but I would give him a shot.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Bernier is in a contract year next season that might motivate him maybe in the offseason, but still I think he's more interested in TV shows. I wouldn't put much stock in him, he's just too lazy, and would get rid of him as yfast as I can.

who cares about tv shows
He's under contract unless u can come up with a better option that requires no assets to get he should stay

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Reimer is better than all those 4 but will be too expensive.

2 of those are a platoon and easily = or > reimer. Vas is looking pretty good but still young and unproven.
Bishop is beyond reimer. Hands down.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Groins are no joke and Bernier will be weak for another injury next season. It all depends how they use him. Babcock might run him down again.

I think it's just the one groin injury and if it is fully healed now it should be as strong as ever. Let's hope it is all good.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I agree that he is a platoon goalie but he is 26 so he can still develop.
To start the season the ducks were not so good and andersen was the only reason they were competing at all. He was a 939 save percentage and under 2 gga.
Of course that doesn't mean he won't bust but I would give him a shot.

He is going to cost about our Pitt first or a second and a cap dump (stoner probably )are you willing to move that for him because I'm not and I'm sure that will be the ask
Those stats can be misleading with a good D core how were the quality of shots where on the ice were they
Will he wear down over a season if he has to make 55/60 starts those are big ifs to be giving up that for him

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Gibson is a nobody? Jeez.

You like adjusted save% from war-on-ice, right. Gibson is #59 among 83 goalies. War-on-ice has another nice stat, high danger save%, Gibson is #68. Nothing special. Not worth to give up assets for.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He is going to cost about our Pitt first or a second and a cap dump (stoner probably )are you willing to move that for him because I'm not and I'm sure that will be the ask
Those stats can be misleading with a good D core how were the quality of shots where on the ice were they
Will he wear down over a season if he has to make 55/60 starts those are big ifs to be giving up that for him
Well I would be looking to get him on the cheap if the expansion happens. He is not my first choice but he is in my top 4.
Iirc he had 50+ starts last year and was good but as you stated stats can mislead. Luckily Lou seems to have a good goalie eye so I will be comfortable with whoever he sees as our starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad