Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Been playing better of late with a .931 in his last 5. Hopefully the start of a strong finish to his season. .916 since Jan 1st as well. We'll need him to play well as our #1 next season.

Maybe if he plays well finishing out the season and into next maybe we give him an extention.

Another good game. :handclap:

Bernie heating up.

I can't wait for everyone to be riding his jock next year.

So many bookmarks just waiting

So Bernier craps the bed when Babs announces him as the 65+ games starter and plays horrible all year, then with no pressure he plays well in a couple meaningless games and he's your starter next year? You're looking to extend him? HAHAHAHAHA!

I guess to be fair those pedicures are finally paying off for Bernier.

Or maybe he plays well when the pressure is off and can't stop a beach ball when he's expected to.

Thank God Lou is not so short-sighted. Even if Bernier comes back, there's no way he's handed the job with Sparks behind him. That would be a plan for last overall.

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Tampere
I think we all can agree that Bernier wasnt on par with the expectations at the start of the season. Even we who really think he's a starter in NHL (me included) and I do know numbers and stats on him. Lately maybe cuz there's no pressure he's been clearly better thank Sparks who sparked up the sky only on his debut. He's raw...so raw.. I'm just saying we shouldnt ditch the idea yet that bernier could be our n1 goalie next season (Even though I'm havin a feeling that Lamo is plannin on Leafs own Schneider deal on Murray or Subban)

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
So Bernier craps the bed when Babs announces him as the 65+ games starter and plays horrible all year, then with no pressure he plays well in a couple meaningless games and he's your starter next year? You're looking to extend him? HAHAHAHAHA!

Or maybe he plays well when the pressure is off and can't stop a beach ball when he's expected to.

Thank God Lou is not so short-sighted. Even if Bernier comes back, there's no way he's handed the job with Sparks behind him. That would be a plan for last overall.

But I thought Reimer was the one who couldn't handle the pressure of competition? Remember how Reimer was playing well until they brought in Bernier? At least, that's what I was told in the Reimer thread.

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
I feel as if he only does well when he faces alot of low danger shots. It's such a signature Bernier game when he faces a **** ton of shots and does really well. He didn't face that many shots this game but still. Check out his game log when he faces around 30 and under shots per game

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

I guess to be fair those pedicures are finally paying off for Bernier

Do you have a hand fetish? Why are you posting such nonsense.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Tonight in the post game babcock said bernier was playing well to start the season but there was no goal support and then the wheels came off, but seems to be getting back his confidence.
Time will tell.
Sparks is not ready for any significant number of starts in the nhl and I don't think 1 offseason will change that, so either we pick up a ufa or bibeau shows us something unexpected as the back up next year.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
I think we all can agree that Bernier wasnt on par with the expectations at the start of the season. Even we who really think he's a starter in NHL (me included) and I do know numbers and stats on him. Lately maybe cuz there's no pressure he's been clearly better thank Sparks who sparked up the sky only on his debut. He's raw...so raw.. I'm just saying we shouldnt ditch the idea yet that bernier could be our n1 goalie next season (Even though I'm havin a feeling that Lamo is plannin on Leafs own Schneider deal on Murray or Subban)

I think he'll stay tbh. You gotta maximize a return on him (or try to) as a UFA next trade deadline. We're in no rush in that sense.

In no sane universe do I anticipate Babcock announcing again next year that Bernier is going to start 65 games though. We need to sign a UFA (or engage in the trade market) to upgrade the position.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Tonight in the post game babcock said bernier was playing well to start the season but there was no goal support and then the wheels came off, but seems to be getting back his confidence.
Time will tell.
Sparks is not ready for any significant number of starts in the nhl and I don't think 1 offseason will change that, so either we pick up a ufa or bibeau shows us something unexpected as the back up next year.

Yeah the kids need to get lots of action in the AHL. We'll need a solid option to tandem with Bernier next season.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I feel as if he only does well when he faces alot of low danger shots. It's such a signature Bernier game when he faces a **** ton of shots and does really well. He didn't face that many shots this game but still. Check out his game log when he faces around 30 and under shots per game

Absolutely correct. Both Bernier and Reimer has markedly better numbers in games with lots of shots.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
The tandem didn't work - but goalies need a lot of work and aren't capable back-ups. But neither were solid #1's either
Hopefully Bernier is coming around and has found his game again so he can be part of the solution going forward - whether we keep him or not

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Reimer is a goalie on another team.

Yes, but you said Reimer was doing just fine until he buckled under the pressure of having to share duties with Bernier. Now, when Bernier is doing fine without pressure, that's a bad thing? I'm fine with good goaltending, whenever.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He could be great the rest of the season, but it doesn't really change anything. What matters at this point is consistency, and he's shown he can't provide that unfortunately.

I hope for his sake that he can restore some dignity though, and perhaps entice another team to give him a look.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Don't think anyone was "against" Bernier. Just wanted him to play better. For his sake and the Leafs it would be great if he can play like the last two games. If he happens to leave as UFA, good luck to him.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He could be great the rest of the season, but it doesn't really change anything. What matters at this point is consistency, and he's shown he can't provide that unfortunately.

I hope for his sake that he can restore some dignity though, and perhaps entice another team to give him a look.

If he is solid for the remainder of this season and starts that way next year and show stability upto the trade deadline I don't know what I would do. I guess it would also depend on who we aquire or is available, but if he plays like he did the first year CONSISTENTLY, where are we finding an upgrade?

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
And why do you have a need to mention this in almost every post? is this your way of dragging him down or something?

You're the only poster that seems to obsess with his personal life so much.

And why do you care? He's not your son. He's a big boy and he can get pedicures as often as he likes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad