Prospect Info: Jonas Brodin (Part III)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
It's kind of fantastic that for the first time in the Wild's history, we don't need to constantly look for a top pairing defenseman.

pbunder

Jul 5, 2010
Minnesota
It's kind of fantastic that for the first time in the Wild's history, we don't need to constantly look for a top pairing defenseman.

yep, and if scandella would just play with Gilbert the way he did end of last season, we'd have a pretty ok top 6 with stoner/spurg rounding it out. Oh well i guess.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Russo on KFAN:
(Paraphrasing)

"I've covered a lot of players who may have been 'rushed' into the NHL and hurt by it, like Jay Bouwmeester in Flordia, and I can safely say Brodin is 10x the Player Jay Bouwmeester was at his age"

"I don't know if all the fans understand how rare this is for a 19 year old to step into the NHL like this"

"I don't understand why he doesn't get #1 PP minutes, that's an easy fix for the PP"

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Sometimes it's hard to even comprehend us having a legit top d pairing. It's weird. Provided Yeo doesn't play anymore experimental line boggle with Suter-Brodin, life will be good.

I remember when all we had to look forward to was Burns as our top d...And I like Burns, but man you were always sweating when he was doing some of the **** he did...Then the opposing team would get a damned breakaway going back and Burns would try his poke-from-behind-praying dive....

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
People get off scandella not being here right now, he'll need some time to get back into the groove. He isn't Brodin, he doesn't have the tools to just adapt to the game. its the same situation with Adrian Peterson, now every athlete is expected to not only hasten their recovery but have a career year.

I think in about 10ish games Scandella will be up here and we'll get a decent top 4.

Also i've said since day one that Brodin needs to be on the PP, even if it costs suter his spot, unless you are Suter, his hot wife, his moma and dada you can see that Brodin sees the ice better, passes better, keeps the puck in the zone better and *gasp* THROWS THE PUCK ON THE ****ING NET

THEALLKNOWING*

Russo has a mancrush :biglaugh:

He had one on Spurgeon, but it has now shifted to Brodin. You can tell by his comment in which he says something to the effect he wonders if the fans know how good Brodin is. Funny, isn't that what many of us have been saying for since he has been up with the Wild? But our comments are not valid, because we are not insiders.

I still think it is difficult for him to accept that Spurgeon is not a top-pairing defenseman.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
yep, and if scandella would just play with Gilbert the way he did end of last season, we'd have a pretty ok top 6 with stoner/spurg rounding it out. Oh well i guess.
It will happen. Just give it time.

Suter-Brodin
Gilbert-Scandella
Stoner-Spurgeon
Falk

That's going to be a rockin' blueline by the time playoffs roll around.

Now, if we can just get the forwards to score......

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
People get off scandella not being here right now, he'll need some time to get back into the groove. He isn't Brodin, he doesn't have the tools to just adapt to the game. its the same situation with Adrian Peterson, now every athlete is expected to not only hasten their recovery but have a career year.

I think in about 10ish games Scandella will be up here and we'll get a decent top 4.

Also i've said since day one that Brodin needs to be on the PP, even if it costs suter his spot, unless you are Suter, his hot wife, his moma and dada you can see that Brodin sees the ice better, passes better, keeps the puck in the zone better and *gasp* THROWS THE PUCK ON THE ****ING NET

Suter actually does a pretty damned good job, and is continuing to feel more comfortable. Now little Spurg on the other hand... He should be on the #2, but should never see the light of day on the #1. Suter-Brodin #1 pp. Brodin and Suter rock at moving the puck, getting it on net, finding lanes, tape to tape passes, creating space, and KEEPING IT IN ON THE BLUE LINE!

Scandella, sorry man. Scandella is consistently inconsistent. If he figures it out, great! If not, I'd be trading his ass within the next year as a prospect with potential packaged with a roster player for a pick or something better.

He's getting passed. Falk plays more consistently, so does Stoner and Spurg. If he can't TAKE that #4 spot, forget it. Suter-Brodin-Gilbert, solid top 3. No one else is taking those spots. Dumba will be up here probably in about 1-2 years and our top 4 will be complete. No place for Scandella.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

Scandella didn't even look bad while he is up here. Kind of a victim of the numbers game I think. Spurge and Brodin are on ELCs and better than him, everyone else has a one way deal. He can still go back and forth with risk of losing him.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
Brodin isn't on the top PP because 5 lefties on one unit is beyond stupid.

And I'll add that if your lone guy who offsets it is just patrolling the front of the net, it's still stupid.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Suter actually does a pretty damned good job, and is continuing to feel more comfortable. Now little Spurg on the other hand... He should be on the #2, but should never see the light of day on the #1. Suter-Brodin #1 pp. Brodin and Suter rock at moving the puck, getting it on net, finding lanes, tape to tape passes, creating space, and KEEPING IT IN ON THE BLUE LINE!

Yeah, I don't see a problem with Suter. He is very good at keeping it in and moves the puck very well. No he doesn't shoot it as much, but his shot isn't nearly as good as Weber's was. He might shoot more eventually when he gets into different habits.

Spurgeon actually has been the only defenseman I've seen who will step up with the puck on the PP and get guys moving. He also is willing to shoot. But he does lose the puck occasionally.

I would have Suter-Gilbert and Brodin-Spurgeon as my defensive pairings on the PP...

Brodin isn't on the top PP because 5 lefties on one unit is beyond stupid.

And I'll add that if your lone guy who offsets it is just patrolling the front of the net, it's still stupid.

I can't stand that we just have a guy sitting in front of the net doing nothing and another guy sitting off to the side.

The Wild seem to be stuck either moving the puck from the top of the umbrella to either half wall or from the half wall to the top or corner. So it's like we're down by two men. Other teams skate and force guys out of position. We just pass around and let them box us out.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I think one thing they could do now is when one D has the puck switch spots with teh other D to open up shooting lanes.

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I'd have the PP set as follows:

Parise - Koivu - Spurgeon
Suter - Heatley

Bouchard - Granlund - Setoguchi
Gilbert - Brodin

But then again, that's just me.

Why Spurgeon at FWD? Because apparently he sucks at keeping pucks in the zone (just to clarify, he's done a reasonable job). And, really, why not?

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Yeah, I don't see a problem with Suter. He is very good at keeping it in and moves the puck very well. No he doesn't shoot it as much, but his shot isn't nearly as good as Weber's was. He might shoot more eventually when he gets into different habits.

Spurgeon actually has been the only defenseman I've seen who will step up with the puck on the PP and get guys moving. He also is willing to shoot. But he does lose the puck occasionally.

I would have Suter-Gilbert and Brodin-Spurgeon as my defensive pairings on the PP...

I can't stand that we just have a guy sitting in front of the net doing nothing and another guy sitting off to the side.

The Wild seem to be stuck either moving the puck from the top of the umbrella to either half wall or from the half wall to the top or corner. So it's like we're down by two men. Other teams skate and force guys out of position. We just pass around and let them box us out.

That's actually a pretty good idea. Brodin has shown that he is advanced years beyond his age, and Spurgeon is pretty good at shooting the puck and creating space. I'm sold.

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site

I agree, that would be fantastic. Gilbert loves shooting from the point, so he'll complement Suter really well. And Spurgeon - Brodin is very intriguing, because both guys are like waterbugs out there, and they are not shy about ripping one on net.

But of course, Yeo will find a way to put Bouchard or Cullen in there, even though they both have no business playing the point anymore... :shakehead

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
Turning a "James Dean - East of Eden" movie poster into "Jonas Brodin - Beast of Sweden" doesn't happen very easily with just MS Paint.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I would rather put Brodin on the top PP even if it's at the cost of Suter, people still seem to underrate this vision.

with Brodin on 2nd pp, it looks better then top pp, he keeps the puck in the zone, he shoots it on goal with his sneaky wrister that gets through, he's just better. Feel bad for Uncle Leipold tho, he gave a number two money he shouldn't have

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I'd like to see Brodin carry the puck a little more. With his skating and the glue on his stick I think he could do some effortless looking zone entries.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I'd like to see Brodin carry the puck a little more. With his skating and the glue on his stick I think he could do some effortless looking zone entries.

He is doing that more and more, you can feel his confidence grow. Also he couldn't rely on his linemates to get in position for a pass so he is having to resort to doing the work him self.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus

A Finn praising a Swede, this must mean that Brodin is, in fact, a God?

Stripped Alfie of his title?

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
A Finn praising a Swede, this must mean that Brodin is, in fact, a God?

Stripped Alfie of his title?

To be honest, I don't think there is a Finnish Minnesota fan who thinks that Brodin is not a very good hockey player and a tremendous prospect.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
To be honest, I don't think there is a Finnish Minnesota fan who thinks that Brodin is not a very good hockey player and a tremendous prospect.

We have never really had a true Finnish and Swedish connection in the NHL, looking forward to one in Minnesota - who is historically also a place where a lot of Swedes settled down when they left Sweden for America in the late 19:th century.

Now, though, it seems like there are mostly Somalians living there.

Both in Minnesota and in Sweden ;)

:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad