Prospect Info: Jonas Brodin (Part III)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
I would rather put Brodin on the top PP even if it's at the cost of Suter, people still seem to underrate this vision.

with Brodin on 2nd pp, it looks better then top pp, he keeps the puck in the zone, he shoots it on goal with his sneaky wrister that gets through, he's just better. Feel bad for Uncle Leipold tho, he gave a number two money he shouldn't have

I agree 100%

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
Brodins getting some major love in the rookie defenseman poll that was made about Schultz and Hamilton

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
We have never really had a true Finnish and Swedish connection in the NHL, looking forward to one in Minnesota - who is historically also a place where a lot of Swedes settled down when they left Sweden for America in the late 19:th century.

Now, though, it seems like there are mostly Somalians living there.

Both in Minnesota and in Sweden ;)

:cry:

send us more swedes preferably females ranging in 18-26yrs of age with upper wight limit of 75kg

Back on topic

I wonder how long Yeo keeps this titanic of a PP going, btw titanic is the reference to the ship not the quality or lack of.

He needs to do something, you want your RH well fine

Parise-Koivu-Coyle as Forwards

Brodin-X on Point, give it a shot for a few PP's and see what happens....

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Man its strange watching puck battle down in your zone between your D and their forwards and knowing you're going to win that puck battle. If its anyone other then Brodin in that situation i'm holding my breath because we'll lose and turn the puck over.

Seriously this kids is just nuts, his passing is crisp and tape to tape, he hardly ever loses a puck battle (anyone else notice players are trying to chip the puck around him now, with all our other D they just skate it knowing they will win?)

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Man its strange watching puck battle down in your zone between your D and their forwards and knowing you're going to win that puck battle. If its anyone other then Brodin in that situation i'm holding my breath because we'll lose and turn the puck over.

Seriously this kids is just nuts, his passing is crisp and tape to tape, he hardly ever loses a puck battle (anyone else notice players are trying to chip the puck around him now, with all our other D they just skate it knowing they will win?)

At the very least, you know the puck isn't going into instant offense because he is going to tie up the play. Its either a quick movement of the puck or Brodin's all over the opponent. Love it!

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
It's pretty unbelievable how smart the guys is. He makes such brilliant plays game after game. You can give a sigh of relief when he's got the puck. Pretty rare for a kid at his age. Thanks, Fletch!

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
One of the best things I've seen him do, which to me just shows what this skinny beanpole is capable of, was taking out Iggy when Iggy was in on the forecheck on Brodin, Iggy went into Brodin, and ended up on his ass:laugh:

Then Bacon skated away with the puck and life was good. God that was great... So many times Iggy would just knock the defender off his skates, especially one the size of Brodin, then create a prime scoring chance from it.

I don't know how this kid does it. Almost flawless game after game, does the right things and his team significantly better.

If Suter gets 7.5, how much is this kid worth?!:help: We'll go bankrupt trying to keep him...

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
brodin currently ranked 10th espn rookies. ESPN.com: NHL [Print without images]

Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Rookie Rankings: Galchenyuk into top 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Grant Sonier
ESPN Insider

Playing in the NHL is a tough business, as two of the front runners for the Calder Trophy race have learned the hard way. Vladimir Tarasenko of the St. Louis Blues was placed on the IR after a concussion caused by a scary hit that forced him to be helped off the ice. Meanwhile Brendan Gallagher was diagnosed with a minor concussion and missed two games. Both had been playing very well but may start to slip in the wake of their injuries.

Who might seize the opportunity to grab a few additional headlines? For one, Florida Panthers winger Jonathan Huberdeau has generated the most recent momentum among the first year players in the league. Last week he brought himself back into the conversation with some solid play and offensive output. This week he did not slow down and now sits second in the overall rookie scoring race and leads all rookie goal-scorers with 8 markers. But he still has a ways to go to reach the top of the peak.

Let's take a look at how things shape up this week. Statistics are through Sunday, Feb. 24.

1. Cory Conacher, forward, Tampa Bay Lightning
Previous rank: No. 1

Conacher continues to lead the scoring race among a great crop of rookies this year and while the team is struggling to find consistency, the 5-foot-8 center is nothing short of the hardest working player on the ice -- every shift. The Bolts have lots of young players in their lineup, including other rookies Richard Panik and Alex Killorn, which makes it tough to win consistently.

A fellow scouting colleague and friend said recently, "When I watch this little ball of fire play, it is hard to imagine he is a rookie. He works and makes things happen like he has played in the league for years."

In 18 games played he has 17 points (7 goals, 10 assists) and is averaging 15:24 of ice time per game.

2. Vladimir Tarasenko, forward, St. Louis Blues
Previous rank: No. 2

We will have to wait and see how long the Russian winger remains out after a major collision with Avs forward Mark Olver. The TV replay clearly showed Tarasenko was in trouble, as his eyes rolled back and he struggled to collect his bearings. The hockey world and the Blues are hoping their bright young star is back soon.

3. Alex Galchenyuk, forward, Montreal Canadiens
Previous rank: No. 5

His steady rise to the top should not surprise anyone that has watched this young center play at the junior level. The Canadiens sit atop the Eastern Conference standings and Galchenyuk has certainly helped the club climb there. He has 3 goals and 9 assists for 12 points and is an impressive plus-9 while playing 12:14 a game. His coach clearly trusts him. "He is proving himself each day and he is continuing to work hard, which are both good signs," Habs head coach Michel Therrien says.

4. Justin Schultz, defenseman, Edmonton Oilers
Previous rank: No. 3

Schultz slides out of the top three mostly because Galchenyuk has simply been that good. The Oilers are hovering at .500 and the highly skilled offensive defenseman has also stalled somewhat. Early on Schultz took the league by storm and the accolades poured in, but his play has dialed down from great to good and the club has slowed as well. As one Western Conference scout suggests, "As he goes the Oilers go." That is a lot of pressure for a rookie blueliner, but the team must know that as well; he leads all defensemen in ice time, averaging almost 23 minutes a game. His 4 goals and 5 assists still have him leading rookie defensemen in the scoring department, but the gap is narrowing.

5. Dougie Hamilton, defenseman, Boston Bruins
Previous rank: No. 4

The Bruins are off to their best start in more than 30 years and they are doing it in part with this rookie defenseman averaging 17:32 of ice time. In 15 games he has 1 goal and 7 assists, just one point shy of Schultz in Edmonton, who has generated a lot more talk for rookie of the year. The two would make for a great argument as to who teams would rather have going forward. In terms of this season's debate the biggest difference I see is that the Bruins are winning a lot of games and the 6-foot-5 Hamilton does not have to do too much on a solid team. Like Schultz he slides in my rankings only because of Galchenyuk's rise.

6. Brendan Gallagher, forward, Montreal Canadiens
Previous rank: No. 6

After missing two games due to a minor concussion, the undersized, high-energy, hard-working forward bounced back Saturday night against the Rangers with 14:09 of ice time and looked to have no ill effects from his time in the press box. The Canadiens continue to be one of the surprise teams in the league this year and lead the Eastern Conference standings with a 12-4-2 record. Gallagher's contagious play seems to be rubbing off on everyone, but his production is helping too. In 14 games the right wing has 5 goals and 3 assists.

7. Jonathan Huberdeau, forward, Florida Panthers
Previous rank: No. 9

A 4-point night (2 goals, 2 assists) can put anyone back on track and it has vaulted him back into this race statistically. Huberdeau is taking the faltering Panthers on his shoulders as they try to snap out of their inconsistent play. He leads all rookies with 8 goals and his 13 points are second only to Conacher.

"He is gaining confidence and when he has the puck he makes things happen," said one Eastern Conference scout who saw him play this past week.

Huberdeau's 13 points is tops for the Panthers and when he is not scoring they can't seem to win. He was held off the score sheet as Boston just cruised to a 4-1 win on Sunday. Leading an offense is a lot of pressure for any young player, but clearly the team feels his importance as he is now averaging more than 16 minutes of ice time a game.

8. Nail Yakupov, forward, Edmonton Oilers
Previous rank: No. 7

Like his team, Yakupov has been scuffling, stuck at 5 goals and 5 assists.

"He has some very good shifts and then he has some mistake-ridden shifts," says a western-based scout who works for an Eastern Conference team.

I am sure the Oilers are like most people who watch the young Russian star, they want more out of him because you can see there is so much talent. He currently sits fifth in rookie scoring, which is noteworthy in such an impressive year for first-year players. Don't give up on Yakupov in this race just yet, as he is certainly capable of rising to the challenges in front of him.

9. Marcus Foligno, forward, Buffalo Sabres
Previous rank: No. 8

Lindy Ruff is no longer his head coach and it appears the new bench boss, Ron Rolston is going to make the rookie earn back his high volume of ice time. Before the coaching change, the big rugged winger led all rookie forwards in ATOI with well over 16 minutes. In his first two game under new direction he only saw 12. He remains in the top 10 in rookie scoring with 1 goal and 7 assists in 19 games.

10. Jonas Brodin, defenseman, Minnesota Wild
Previous rank: No. 10

Brodin is not going to be found at the top of the rookie scoring race and thus is probably not going to win Rookie of the Year, but there is much more to hockey -- particularly for defensemen -- than point production. As one Western Conference scout put it, "He may not produce many points right now, but he is one of Minnesota's most valuable players on the back end."

His ATOI is over 22 minutes, which is impressive and second only to Schultz among rookies. His ability to retrieve pucks under pressure and advance them separates him from many in the league and his upside as an NHL player is tremendous.

Honorable Mention

Drew Shore, forward, Florida Panthers
Previous rank: NR

Shore has quietly entered the scoring race and is now tied for sixth with his fellow rookies. The 6-foot-3, right-shot center is American-born and a former star at the University of Denver. At 22 years old, he has been centering fellow rookie Huberdeau and both are producing as the Panthers try to find a winning forward combination.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
^^^Nice to see Brodin starting to get some recognition outside of Minnesota..

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Honestly, I don't know what to say about Jonas Brodin. I marvel at how good this kid is as a 19-year-old. I'm not easily impressed, but this guy's been like off the charts.

"When his game starts to develop offensively, I don't throw around Norris Trophy talk too often, but he's got the potential to be that kind of guy."

snippet from this article

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/193718321.html

yes this is Wes ****ing Walz who's saying this about Brodin

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
After watching Brodin and Schult play this year, I have to say, I would much rather have Brodin, between two of them. I also think Brodin will start putting up points in the next year or two; he actually has a pretty nice shot that gets on net much of the time.

I don't know, the ESPN ranking, having Schultz as high as he is was just pr, and kinda silly, imo. Schultz is good, don't get me wrong, but between the two Brodin really does stand out quite a bit more to me, and I'm trying to be objective and reasonable about this.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
After watching Brodin and Schult play this year, I have to say, I would much rather have Brodin, between two of them. I also think Brodin will start putting up points in the next year or two; he actually has a pretty nice shot that gets on net much of the time.

I don't know, the ESPN ranking, having Schultz as high as he is was just pr, and kinda silly, imo. Schultz is good, don't get me wrong, but between the two Brodin really does stand out quite a bit more to me, and I'm trying to be objective and reasonable about this.

Brodin is what 3 years younger is his defensive game is better then schultz's, his skating is better and his composure is better.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Don't take ESPN's rankings to heart. They don't know hockey. The reason Schultz is that high is because of the points he puts up. Funny thing is Schultz ONLY puts up points on the powerplay. Brodin might close the gap if he ever gets PP time.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
9 of 10 points Schultz has is on the PP, where he gets top time with some pretty skilled young guys.

Brodin gets very very litte PP time compared to him.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Don't take ESPN's rankings to heart. They don't know hockey. The reason Schultz is that high is because of the points he puts up. Funny thing is Schultz ONLY puts up points on the powerplay. Brodin might close the gap if he ever gets PP time.

That's just it! It's stupid... Dude has what, 10 points? And gets all the prime time possible? And he really is nothing noteworthy on d, or with his hockey sense in general. I mean he's fine, especially for a rookie, but from all the pr I really do expect more. He's also a -6.

Brodin is a 0, with 6 points, and he gets zero top pp time. He is of course great in many areas, but gets zero recognition for any of this. It was just a silly, biased review...

I don't normally care about recognition from any other sources, I really don't, but reading all that high praise for Schultz, after watching many games of his by now, then comparing him to Brodin and what he's done, I was just like WTF. Anyone with ****ing eyes should be able to see the difference, not that I would ever expect Brodin to be rated at a 4 or anything; just not Schultz that much higher.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Brodin won't get the recognition he deserves until about 20 years of age, (thats when he wins his first Norris)

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Hard to compare the two right now..only comparison is they are both rookies. They are very different players. Schultz is a prime time PP quarterback that is his future. Brodin projects to be a #1 or #2 all around guy just like Suter.

Schultz is more of a Mike Green or something..

Also the age difference and afore mentioned PP time are going to give Schultz the edge in every rookie list or voting.

All that aside it doesn't really matter to me I'm much happier we have Brodin than Schultz

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Was saying this to my buddy during the Wild Oilers game..atleast we got Parise's agents nice and educated out of the deal!

Wouldn't of minded Schultz too though!

Schultz is a clear number 1 in Eddy, he'd be number 3 in Minnesota tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad