Prospect Info: Jonas Brodin (Part III)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjlee

Feb 25, 2006
Scotty Bowman is quoted in this week's Nicholas J. Cotsonika's Three Periods column:
– Bowman has been impressed with two young defensemen: the Phoenix Coyotes’ Oliver Ekman-Larsson and the Minnesota Wild’s Jonas Brodin. Mark these words: “You’ll see in a couple years. You’ll be talking about these guys among the top half-dozen defensemen in the league. That’s how good they are.†He loves their skating, skill and hockey sense – how passes are always tape-to-tape.

Nice to see that young Jonas is getting some attention from someone who knows a thing or two about good Swedish defensemen ;). Actually what's remarkable is that Bowman is not talking about Brodin in terms of being an outstanding rookie but instead putting him on the same level as OEL who is already well established as one of the best young D in the league.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Scotty Bowman is quoted in this week's Nicholas J. Cotsonika's Three Periods column:

Nice to see that young Jonas is getting some attention from someone who knows a thing or two about good Swedish defensemen ;). Actually what's remarkable is that Bowman is not talking about Brodin in terms of being an outstanding rookie but instead putting him on the same level as OEL who is already well established as one of the best young D in the league.

Brodin sure does have a bright future ahead of him. the way he plays at this age tho is just something else.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Hockey's Future did a Calder ranking and Brodin is ranked #9. Behind defenders Schultz in Edmonton, Hamilton in Boston, and Dillon in Dallas, among a bunch of (overrated) forwards.

9. Jonas Brodin, D, Minnesota Wild
Drafted 10th overall (1st round) in 2011

Brodin, like Dillon, makes his debut in the poll this month. While he has flown under the radar in terms of Calder Trophy consideration, a good case can be made that no rookie has been as important to his team as the Wild defenseman.

Among rookies, Brodin is second to Schultz in ice time, averaging nearly 22 minutes a night.

While Brodin's offensive numbers are limited (three assists in 18 game and -1 plus/minus), only high profile free agent signee Ryan Suter sees more ice time for Minnesota than the 19-year-old from Sweden.

Brodin skated in 12 games for the Wild in February and was +2 with 1 assist while averaging 22:30 minutes per night.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site

Damn, that's an opinion one can take to the bank.

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
brodin_steal_zps99a108d6.gif

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
was it burrows? he did that to someone tonight, too. ****ing brilliant with that stick.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
If/and when Brodin starts joining rushes and develops more a offensive skill set, he's going to be a special, special player. He's already so good in his own end and in transition that at this point, with no development in his game at all, you'd have no qualms about him being on a top pairing from this point forward. If he can get his shot to progress and get more confidence to play with the puck a tad more, he'll be in the conversation as one of the best defensemen in the game in a few years.

He's just so, so good at 19. The Wild are lucky to have him.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
i wanna start seeing brodin take some slap shots from the point, i see he can take a nice wrist shot and get it on net, but i think to be more effective in the ozone he needs to start trying to take that slap shot.

edit: ^ lol jarick knows!

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009

this is just so freaking mesmerizing my god i could watch it all day. I love how he is so hard to beat 1 on 1, how many NHL dman would have been caught flat footed there. His angle on that play was just so good.

Yup Wild have a special special player on their hands.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
There was a nice one last night where he took the puck into the offensive corner, followed it briefly then pulled back, and when Vancouver quickly broke back out of their zone along the other side, there he was to poke it away again.

I really love that more and more, when that puck is floating just out of reach for the other team's forward on a breakout and any of our other D would already be cautiously moving back to center ice, he flies in from just off-screen like a Monty Python foot and keeps it in.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
There was a nice one last night where he took the puck into the offensive corner, followed it briefly then pulled back, and when Vancouver quickly broke back out of their zone along the other side, there he was to poke it away again.

I saw that and squealed like a girl. Pestering my girlfriend "did you see that? DID YOU SEE THAT? He was the first one back! And the deepest forechecker!" That was also like a two minute shift :laugh:

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I saw that and squealed like a girl. Pestering my girlfriend "did you see that? DID YOU SEE THAT? He was the first one back! And the deepest forechecker!" That was also like a two minute shift :laugh:

I am pretty sure it got me shouting some stuff about going with four forwards when he's on the ice.

JamesRanger

Sep 23, 2011
Plymouth
Brodin is built to be a breakout machine. He has great vison and skating. He finds the open man when there is one and if not he simply skates it out of the zone.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009

The crazy part about this play is if was any other dman or a Sedin it would have been tripping, he uses his stick at the right time to get the puck out of there with out taking a penalty. Its so sexy to watch.

Bacon4Norris

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Holy crap. I remember him doing something similar to Oshie once, he was so surprised, he looked like a fool. Awesome, This kid is great.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
God this kid is amazing.... Even during our bad games, he'll still find a way to make you enjoy at least a few moments.

I hope he sticks with the wrister and just learns to use it more frequently. Lidstrom primarily used his wrister, and with amazing success. Brodin has great aim, that sucker frequently gets on net, he just needs to be a little more assertive with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad