Prospect Info: Jonas Brodin (Part III)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
Brodin!!

You truly are a future potential star and allready a great D-man!
Love you! Eventhough you are from Sweden ;)

Maybea goal in the next game? YES!!!

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
Brodin is so calm, so smooth. Just freaking amazing ..... so impressed by this kid every game. And what has me even more excited is that he will get stronger and even produce points in the future.

Brodin is the man.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The thing about points is not really an issue for Brodin at this point imo.

Here's a kid that's already playing as if he would have had 10 years in the league, seems like he knows all the tricks of whoever he's facing. In terms of defensive style he's playing like (not equal to) Lidstrom imo. Calm, no mistakes, no drama. Leave it at that and you have an amazing defenseman even if he puts up 0 points. I am convinced that he can be, or rather will be, a player putting up points in the future but at the same time it doesn't even seem important right now considering the way he's playing (again as a 19 year old!).

PS. I'm an Oilers fan... And I am very very excited over the fact that we have Schultz, but also that Klefbom, who has been compared with Brodin many times, will be here next year. If Klefbom turns out half of Brodin I'll be freaking jumping of joy.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
The best part about Brodin is that even if he takes no further steps developmentally from this day forth he's a very good number 2 on most teams in the NHL. On some teams this year he'd be their number 1 guy including a team like Detroit.

So his floor at the moment is soild number 2 guy. His ceiling well you can imagine that can't ya

10dynasty38*

Some people think its a joke when you compare Brodin with Lidstrom. Brodin at the rate he is going and the potential he has shown at 19 may someday have his number retired at the xcel energy center. It's not hard to spot when someone has it or they don't. Brodin is not your average player. Granlund with all the hype will fizzle out and at best be a servicable 2nd liner. I may be wrong but I just haven't seen anything special. Coyle may good but nothing special. I think Zucker and Brodin are what the Wild have to look forward to for years to come.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Guess he didn't have a great game last night, he played eight (!) less minutes than Spurgeon and ended up a -1?

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Guess he didn't have a great game last night, he played eight (!) less minutes than Spurgeon and ended up a -1?

He didn't play terrible but it wasn't his best game either.

The TOI difference is because the coaches scratched another d-man and played with an extra right handed one, so Brodin was the one that got shuffled around.

Spurgeon was our best d-man last year and Yeo gives him more credit than he deserves, so they look to move him to try and get him jump started.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Wilson shuffled the D around because of their poor play tonight. After the adjustments he made the play did pick back up. It wasn't Brodins best night, hoping this isn't a sign the kid might be hitting a wall with all the minutes and back to backs, most likely just an off night (Even the best have those now and then).

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
Granlund with all the hype will fizzle out and at best be a servicable 2nd liner. I may be wrong but I just haven't seen anything special. Coyle may good but nothing special. I think Zucker and Brodin are what the Wild have to look forward to for years to come.

This is so ridiculous...

Brodin is Brodin yes..unreal. Nobody disagrees.

But Granlund and Coyle's upside is WAY higher than Zuckers..just going to take them longer to develop..Coyle at producing in the NHL and Granlund adapting to the NHL game.

Dampland

Mar 14, 2011
Gainfully Employed
This is so ridiculous...

Brodin is Brodin yes..unreal. Nobody disagrees.

But Granlund and Coyle's upside is WAY higher than Zuckers..just going to take them longer to develop..Coyle at producing in the NHL and Granlund adapting to the NHL game.

I disagree

I would easily put our "prospects" as Brodin, Zucker, Coyle and then Granlund as far as what order of impact they will have on the team 2 years from now.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
Zucker, Coyle and Granlund are all different style players so comparing them to each other is really an effort in futility but it sure does sound like a nice line to have around for many years.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Zucker, Coyle and Granlund are all different style players so comparing them to each other is really an effort in futility but it sure does sound like a nice line to have around for many years.

Anyone see that time yesterday where while the Wild was in the middle of a line change, the team just had to play with who was on the ice and that feature all four rookies:

Charlie Coyle, Jason Zucker, Jonas Brodin, and Darcy Kuemper. It was beautiful

Beegoalie

Dec 21, 2011
Pominville Minnesota
I disagree

I would easily put our "prospects" as Brodin, Zucker, Coyle and then Granlund as far as what order of impact they will have on the team 2 years from now.

You have Mikael Granlund behind Zucker and Coyle??

maybe just because you said 2 years down the road but Granlund is a 60+ point center man within 2-4 years. Zucker and Coyle never touch 60 points. Zucker will be like Setoguchi scoring 20-25 goals hopefully and 45pts ish and Coyle somewhere around 40-50 points.

Just because Granlund hasn't hit his stride yet doesn't mean he isn't going to find it.

Marian Gaborik had 36 points his rookie season. Mikko Koivu had 21.. Pierre Marc Bouchard had 20.

Im confused what Coyle has done for you to move him above Granlund..and to say his upside is higher than Mikael's?? :laugh:

Yikes.

Last edited:

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
You have Mikael Granlund behind Zucker and Coyle??

maybe just because you said 2 years down the road but Granlund is a 60+ point center man within 2-4 years. Zucker and Coyle never touch 60 points. Zucker will be like Setoguchi scoring 20-25 and Coyle somewhere around 40-50 points.

Just because Granlund hasn't hit his stride yet doesn't mean he isn't going to find it.

Marian Gaborik had 36 points his rookie season. Mikko Koivu had 21.. Pierre Marc Bouchard had 20.

Im confused what Coyle has done for you to move him above Granlund..and to say his upside is higher than Mikael's?? :laugh:

Yikes.

"Isn't it obvious...Coyle is on the first line. Granlund got scratched."

--Dampland

It doesn't matter that Granlund has out produced Coyle easily at every level they hve played including the pros.

Coyle has done nothing except kill the momentum the top line had. Parise/Koivu have had ZERO success with Coyle.

I love Coyle, but he is not ready. He shows flashes of areas where he can really help this team. Yes, he's a big body. No he doesn't use it well. Granlund hits more than he does. Easy. Coyle flashes good board work....however he always seems to fall/cough it up/mess up good plays he's made. He'll protect it from two guys only to fall or over skate the puck or something.

The dude, has what 1 goal?? I think Coyle's going to be a solid player. Maybe he will end up being the better player between Granlund and Coyle.

At the very least it's pretty ridiculous to say that he's for sure looked better than Granlund just because he's been handed top line minutes from the get-go, while Granlund's having to work his ass off for a single shift.

You can in no way...in no way...be able to determine that Coyle is a better player based on there tenure's in the pros alone...let alone their track record before the reached the pros. (Granlund destroyed Coyle points wise in the AHL too. More points in the NHL even.)

Granlund had way more hype. Too much hype? Maybe. Probably. Should we have probably realized that Granlund...with the type of game he plays, his size, his lack of elite speed (he's average to above average I would say though. Definitely not slow), and lack of strength, and even lack of chemistry with his injury...would take time to adjust to the NHL? Yes, that's something that can be debated.

At this point in their respective careers it's a disgrace to Granlund and his whole lifes body of work and the kids attitude to say that Coyle is the better player.

EDIT---Brodin however. I'm willing to say Brodin could be the best out of all of these guys. Baaaacon.

Last edited:

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
It's pretty pointless to discuss anything about Granlund with Dampland. It's like trying to get State Of Hockey to say anything positive about the Wild

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
"Isn't it obvious...Coyle is on the first line. Granlund got scratched."

--Dampland

It doesn't matter that Granlund has out produced Coyle easily at every level they hve played including the pros.

Coyle has done nothing except kill the momentum the top line had. Parise/Koivu have had ZERO success with Coyle.

I love Coyle, but he is not ready. He shows flashes of areas where he can really help this team. Yes, he's a big body. No he doesn't use it well. Granlund hits more than he does. Easy. Coyle flashes good board work....however he always seems to fall/cough it up/mess up good plays he's made. He'll protect it from two guys only to fall or over skate the puck or something.

The dude, has what 1 goal?? I think Coyle's going to be a solid player. Maybe he will end up being the better player between Granlund and Coyle.

At the very least it's pretty ridiculous to say that he's for sure looked better than Granlund just because he's been handed top line minutes from the get-go, while Granlund's having to work his ass off for a single shift.

You can in no way...in no way...be able to determine that Coyle is a better player based on there tenure's in the pros alone...let alone their track record before the reached the pros. (Granlund destroyed Coyle points wise in the AHL too. More points in the NHL even.)

Granlund had way more hype. Too much hype? Maybe. Probably. Should we have probably realized that Granlund...with the type of game he plays, his size, his lack of elite speed (he's average to above average I would say though. Definitely not slow), and lack of strength, and even lack of chemistry with his injury...would take time to adjust to the NHL? Yes, that's something that can be debated.

At this point in their respective careers it's a disgrace to Granlund and his whole lifes body of work and the kids attitude to say that Coyle is the better player.

EDIT---Brodin however. I'm willing to say Brodin could be the best out of all of these guys. Baaaacon.

I appreciated this post of yours, and I think you fairly cover the situation.

Don't stop the Paaaaaaaarrttttaaaaayyyyy:yo:

Granlund is going to treat us right, we just need to treat him right as well:nod: Give the kid some understanding.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I would disagree that Coyle is a momentum-killer. Our team seldom has momentum in the first place.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I would disagree that Coyle is a momentum-killer. Our team seldom has momentum in the first place.

Agree...I thought Coyle had a decent game last night. Love his size around the net.

Brodin, on the other hand, looked a little "human" out there. Not bad, but not his best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad