Johnny Gaudreau: 2015/16 expectations?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Other way around. Hudler was a much bigger force in Monahan and Gaudreau's seasons. He was the one that made the line click

I think 98 percent of Flames fans would disagree.

Every game I watched, Gaudreau was the biggest offensive catalyst.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I think 98 percent of Flames fans would disagree.

Every game I watched, Gaudreau was the biggest offensive catalyst.

Well then I fall within that 2%. :)

Should we have had a less capable RW with less poise on the puck and poorer vision, I don't believe the first line would've had as much success. You could even see it in the second round of the playoffs when Hudler was struggling due to an upper-body injury. Gaudreau's still young and his offensive intelligence is not quite there yet. In the whole of the series he was pretty much shut down because all the did was force the puck up the ice on his own at a breakneck pace to try to enter the Ducks' zone. Yes, Game 3 was all well and good with Johnny as the hero, but the point is without Hudler there's less calmness and direction in the top line.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Should we have had a less capable RW with less poise on the puck and poorer vision, I don't believe the first line would've had as much success. You could even see it in the second round playoffs when Hudler was struggling due to an upper-body injury. Gaudreau's still young and his offensive intelligence is not quite there yet. In the whole series he was pretty much shut down because all the did force the puck up the ice on his own at a breakneck pace to try to enter the Ducks' zone Yes, Game 3 was all well and good with Johnny as the hero, but the point is without Hudler there's less calmness and direction in the top line.

I will just say that when Johnny hit his stride, he made a line with Backlund and Jones really dynamic. I don't remember Hudler making an impact on any line other than Johnny's, though, but there was a very small sample size in either case.

I think it's a really hard thing to know for certain, but I do tend to lean to the "Johnny helped Huds" side a little too. I think it's a safer bet that both helped each other.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Should we have had a less capable RW with less poise on the puck and poorer vision, I don't believe the first line would've had as much success. You could even see it in the second round of the playoffs when Hudler was struggling due to an upper-body injury. Gaudreau's still young and his offensive intelligence is not quite there yet. In the whole of the series he was pretty much shut down because all the did was force the puck up the ice on his own at a breakneck pace to try to enter the Ducks' zone. Yes, Game 3 was all well and good with Johnny as the hero, but the point is without Hudler there's less calmness and direction in the top line.

I'm part of the 98%. Line up anyone with Gaudreau, he makes it work. Heck, he made Jooris a solid 2C while Backlund was out. As for the playoffs, the only consistent player of the top line throughout the playoffs was Gaudreau.

I can't see how Johnny doesn't get higher than 64. There were tons and tons of chances during the year where players couldn't bury the beautiful passes Johnny gives them. Not only that, he needs to shoot more.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
I don't think you can take out a single player from that top line and say the other two wouldn't have missed a beat.

That line had amazing synergy together. Take out Hudler, and yes, Gaudreau suffers a little bit. Take out Gaudreau, and Hudler suffers a bit. Take out Monahan, and yes, the other two suffer.

Nothing wrong with that. That is called synergy.

I would like to add that any line that Gaudreau was put on worked fairly well offensively. Conversely, any line Hudler was on also worked nicely. They both make players they play with better with their vision and puck skills. No idea why people are arguing Hudler vs Gaudreau in terms of who helped out whom - they BOTH helped each other out incredibly.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Other way around. Hudler was a much bigger force in Monahan and Gaudreau's seasons. He was the one that made the line click

Really? Id argue that Johnny was productive withoit Hudler as well. Started slow, but once he hit his stride, he made guys like Jooris look like legitimate offensive players.

Johnny anf Hudler certainly fed off eachother (along with Monahan) but Hudler has never produced at this rate, even with the heavyweight Red Wing rosters he was a part of.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Not really physically possible. :laugh:

Yes it is. Skinny young guys can put on 20lbs in 4 months. Even without PEDs. Of that you'd expect 10-12 lbs of muscle. The overall mass could be good for JG's game, as long as he doesn't sacrifice agility and speed.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Yes it is. Skinny young guys can put on 20lbs in 4 months. Even without PEDs. Of that you'd expect 10-12 lbs of muscle. The overall mass could be good for JG's game, as long as he doesn't sacrifice agility and speed.

LOL, Adding 5% of body weight in muscle in one year is considered hardcore training, people really don't realize how hard it is to add muscle "weight"

stardefender*

I would disagree, he was a ghost in the first series beyond game 6 which was so open and such bad goaltending, Bissonnette would have scored some goals.

In Anaheim the coach knew he was too small and hid him as well, including benching him. I just can see him being similar to Skinner and being forced to change his style of play.

I absolutely LOVE seeing angry Canuck and Oiler fans so spiteful they've driven themselves to being self deluded.

You obviously did not watch him in the entire playoffs, as he ended up putting up 9 points in 11 games and was out at all the most important moments save for being sat in an Anaheim game that was a blow-out.

There was an Oiler fan SO angry about Gaudreau's success in another thread he took that brief benhcing (again, in a game out of reach) and implied that was for the entire Anaheim series, repeating over and over again that Hartley sat Gaudreau "when the going got tough" and didn't play him in "any important moments".

LOL

You guys crack me up. Spite is a helluva drug. :laugh:

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007

That is not how body mass training works.

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
NHL teams and players are smart by the end of the season jg line would have been playing against the top lines defence pairing and he and his line were putting up points. But the sophmore jinx is real, I feel that it might bite him and some of there other playrrs.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Some of us get to watch JG on a regular basis... others here not so much.

This kid is definitely the straw that stirs the drink.

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I'm going to put my money on 105 points with 55 of those being goals.

Hart + the Rocket + The cup most likely = a very good season for Johnny Hockey

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm going to put my money on 105 points with 55 of those being goals.

Hart + the Rocket + The cup most likely = a very good season for Johnny Hockey

I realize you're probably being sarcastic but 55 goals is impossible for Johnny in today's era. His shot is accurate but it's just not powerful enough to beat modern goaltenders that consistently. He'll have some seasons in the high 30s but that's the extent of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad