Johnny Gaudreau: 2015/16 expectations?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Didn't he go 5 or 6 without a point earlier this season? Then what happened. :laugh:

Bump it whenever, Flames fans love talking about Gaudreau.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
So we wanna bump this when Johnny struggling or only when he's putting up hattricks?

If 3 games with 10 shots on goal and tons of scoring chances created is Johnny "struggling", then I hate to see what he looks like when he's on his game.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Just had a beauty set up to Monahan.

John MacLean on the Devils broadcast just (reluctantly) compared him to Gretzky . . .

Edit: And then Ken Daneyko compared defending him to defending Lemieux on the power play.

At least I've got good company.

Last edited:

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2015020696

I thought Gaudreau's goal from last night was one of his best ever, and deserved some attention. He did this before, but it was a deflection. I've seen all types of great goals, but I've don't think I've quite ever seen a goal like this with the intent and execution. Just a unique and special player.

Sorry, don't know how to link to specific goals, but just click play next to JG's goal.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

I thought Gaudreau's goal from last night was one of his best ever, and deserved some attention. He did this before, but it was a deflection. I've seen all types of great goals, but I've don't think I've quite ever seen a goal like this with the intent and execution. Just a unique and special player.

Sorry, don't know how to link to specific goals, but just click play next to JG's goal.
He's scored a few like that now, he did it alot in NCAA too

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
2 beautiful set-ups so far tonight. he is our entire offense

I actually disagree with this; with the arrival of Bennett, we're finally starting to see some of our other players carry their weight offensively.

Gaudreau is still great though. He's certainly our primary catalyst.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Yup, we've seen this before. The commentator commented that that goal is probably only possible at this point because the goalie was a rookie who may not have gotten a full scouting report on the Flames. It only hits the main boards when he scores it, but Gaudreau actually tries this a lot. Goalies around the league are starting to expect it. Still, it's amazing to have that kind of accuracy. He didn't have more than three inches to fit that puck in.

Goodlad

Jan 15, 2013
Yup, we've seen this before. The commentator commented that that goal is probably only possible at this point because the goalie was a rookie who may not have gotten a full scouting report on the Flames. It only hits the main boards when he scores it, but Gaudreau actually tries this a lot. Goalies around the league are starting to expect it. Still, it's amazing to have that kind of accuracy. He didn't have more than three inches to fit that puck in.

I think he does it more at this point to keep tenders honest. They know they can't cheat off the post if Gaudreau is coming down the wing, which gives him a better shot at connecting a cross ice pass.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think he does it more at this point to keep tenders honest. They know they can't cheat off the post if Gaudreau is coming down the wing, which gives him a better shot at connecting a cross ice pass.

That's true, too. There's certainly no harm in it given he doesn't often miss and have the puck leave the zone.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary

That may be true but Crosby scored literally an identical goal last night vs Mason and the Flyers.

I don't know how to link the video but you can find it on that page. It's literally the exact same goal. Heck of a shot by both players.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Like this:

[nhl]2015020695-402-h[/nhl]

Thing is, I don't know how often Crosby tries that. I don't watch him enough to know his tendencies. I know Gaudreau tries it at least every other game.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Like this:

[nhl]2015020695-402-h[/nhl]

Thing is, I don't know how often Crosby tries that. I don't watch him enough to know his tendencies. I know Gaudreau tries it at least every other game.

The difference to me is that Crosby got the puck in that position and just took what he was given, whereas Gaudreau skated in from center ice and intentionally set up that shot. Amazing shots from both players though.

FWIW, I know Gaudreau tries this frequently. I've seen him score like this in college, but I hadn't seen him connect on it in the pro's except for one of his first goals last year, which was a deflection.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I actually think he tries this too often and it's definitely something that most goalies expect him to do as they're usually ready for it.

But it's awesome when it works! I think the only other time it worked in the NHL was last year, early in the season against Nashville.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Why would anyone expect him to regress? He has elite skill. That's not going to go into long slumps.

Even if the Flames suck all year, he's going to get his points (probably 70 of them)

Glad I don't look dumb in this thread, but I was still low on points it looks like

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I actually think he tries this too often and it's definitely something that most goalies expect him to do as they're usually ready for it.

But it's awesome when it works! I think the only other time it worked in the NHL was last year, early in the season against Nashville.
That is the point though, he keeps doing it regularly and the goal can't cheat so it could create a scoring chance if he can pass it to the slot

Fire Treliving

Jan 11, 2014
That may be true but Crosby scored literally an identical goal last night vs Mason and the Flyers.

I don't know how to link the video but you can find it on that page. It's literally the exact same goal. Heck of a shot by both players.

So, what you're saying is....

...Gaudreau = Crosby?

On a serious note, the kid is all kinds of awesome. He can become the next Kane and Im not even kidding.

Wish he would get some time with Benny.

L13

Oct 1, 2015
55 points in 55 games so far this season. I wonder if he'll maintain this pace and finish with ~81 points, or cool off given that the Flames will probably sell off some assets and quasi-tank. If I had to bet, I'd say he continues to be a PPG player.

Reading this thread from the beginning is quite interesting.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Gaudreau reminds me of a smaller Alexander MO.

77 points this year. 95 ceiling one day.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
58 points in 58 games now. . . only 6 points behind his season total last year with 23 games left. For context, Monahan is currently 23 points back of last year's total, and Hudler is currently 42 back.

I'm just constantly amazed at what this guy is able to do. Last night in LA, the Kings very obviously were 100% focused on shutting him down, yet he still had a handful of very dangerous chances and a beauty assist. He learns and adapts to in game matchups better than anyone in the league. Halfway through the 2nd period, he started to catch on to some trends, and by the time the third rolled around it was the Johnny Gaudreau show.

I still think he ends up in the mid 80's. He's traditionally been a very strong closer, and he's due for a few big games . . . he only has 1 3+ point game since Christmas (he had 5 prior to Christmas) and only 2 goals in his last 13 games. It's a shame he wasn't in the lineup when the Leafs / Marlies came to town . . . probably would have picked up 2-4 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad