Johnny Gaudreau: 2015/16 expectations?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
He's having a great year. But he is currently at 9th in 5 vs 5 scoring. Unless you are counting 3vs3 as well, which will of course skew things in favor of teams with more overtime games. To his credit he has been great at 3-on-3.

I said, and meant, even strength. 5 on 5 or 3 on 3, doesn't matter. That's even strength because 3=3. Even I can do that math.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I think gaudreau's weird home/away split is largely random. This article breaks it down well. He produces the same amount of chances and plays against similar competition.

He could have easily had a few more points last night, but I think you could say that of most games he plays...

And another vote for brodie as the mvp of the flames.

I think the match-ups definitely make a difference too. Gaudreau has a unique style. If the right guys aren't matched up against him, he will easily catch them flat footed and take advantage.

Yes some of it may be random, but you can't deny that matchups don't make a difference. It's not so much the overall amount of chances/plays he creates, but the quality of them. Gaudreau isn't the kind of player who peppers the goalie with shots. He waits and sets up for the good chances and capitalizes.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
He's having a great year. But he is currently at 9th in 5 vs 5 scoring. Unless you are counting 3vs3 as well, which will of course skew things in favor of teams with more overtime games. To his credit he has been great at 3-on-3.

He also suffers from our awful PP, so you have to take that into account.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's now broken the 30 goal plateau and is point per game through 77 games. Only Kane, Crosby, and Benn have more points and are scoring at a higher rate. He's 3rd in the league in ES points, and he's one of seven forwards playing at a PPG rate (Kane, Benn, Crosby, Seguin, Malkin, McDavid). That's fairly elite company, especially when you consider supporting casts.

He's had a rotating door of linemates, particularly at wing. Hudler, Ferland, Jones, Colborne, Shinkaruk . . . and it doesn't seem to matter. The guy has a floor production level that he seems to reach regardless of linemates. You think about how poor a season Hudler had compared to last year, and how Monahan has really shown no progression, yet still Johnny has been able to improve his scoring rate by 20%.

It's too bad the Flames haven't found themselves a top line RW to pair with him. He'd likely be scoring at an even higher rate. Hopefully the Flames can nab one of the Finns to play with him . . . I'd wager a full season with an upgrade at RW would give him a pretty good chance at cracking 90 points.

Last edited:

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
He was closely watched since he was 9 years old. For those who haven't seen this he's #3 and was the MVP of the Edmonton Brick Tourney in 2003. who would have thunk he would end up 200 miles south 12 years later!

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
How good was Gaudreau at home this season? Well, over the previous five seasons...

CrZO4pA.png

These are the players to have hit the 50+ Home Points mark.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
He's now broken the 30 goal plateau and is point per game through 77 games. Only Kane, Crosby, and Benn have more points and are scoring at a higher rate. He's 3rd in the league in ES points, and he's one of seven forwards playing at a PPG rate (Kane, Benn, Crosby, Seguin, Malkin, McDavid). That's fairly elite company, especially when you consider supporting casts.

He's had a rotating door of linemates, particularly at wing. Hudler, Ferland, Jones, Colborne, Shinkaruk . . . and it doesn't seem to matter. The guy has a floor production level that he seems to reach regardless of linemates. You think about how poor a season Hudler had compared to last year, and how Monahan has really shown no progression, yet still Johnny has been able to improve his scoring rate by 20%.

It's too bad the Flames haven't found themselves a top line RW to pair with him. He'd likely be scoring at an even higher rate. Hopefully the Flames can nab one of the Finns to play with him . . . I'd wager a full season with an upgrade at RW would give him a pretty good chance at cracking 90 points.

FYI - Monahan has been out-producing Gaudreau since the All-Star break. In regards to progression, Monahan has been continually improving his 200ft game - I know you meant offensive production, but him playing well defensively also allows Gaudreau a bit more freedom (though Gaudreau is highly underrated defensively).

Also, the Flames have 3 pretty decent scoring defencemen, and it shouldn't go unnoticed at how often they hit Gaudreau's tape on the stretch passes.

I know you are a big Gaudreau fan (I am as well), but you continually sell the Flames really short in your posts.

Eurydice

Nov 29, 2015
Johnny Gaudreau finishes his sophomore season with 30 goals 48 assists 78 points in 79 games, tied for 6th in league scoring.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Here's part 1 of this year's highlights:

The guy is a human highlight reel

For further viewing pleasure, here are his videos from last year:
2014 / 2015 Part 1

2014 / 2015 Part 2

Not sure how people could have watched the videos from last year and not thought he was gonna take the league by storm this year. Once part 2 from this year comes out, he'll have over 90 minutes worth of highlights from just 2 seasons. That's like a full length feature film lol . . .

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Johnny Gaudreau finishes his sophomore season with 30 goals 48 assists 78 points in 79 games, tied for 6th in league scoring.

Phenomenal season for a sophomore. No slump with Johnny! Barring something tragic, kid is going to be challenging for the scoring title in a year or two. A superstar right now in the making!

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Here's part 1 of this year's highlights:

The guy is a human highlight reel

For further viewing pleasure, here are his videos from last year:
2014 / 2015 Part 1

2014 / 2015 Part 2

Not sure how people could have watched the videos from last year and not thought he was gonna take the league by storm this year. Once part 2 from this year comes out, he'll have over 90 minutes worth of highlights from just 2 seasons. That's like a full length feature film lol . . .

Thanks for posting those. I'm in awe every time he hits the ice. He's going to be talked about in best player conversations very soon IMO.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
What a year. Imagine if Monahan had played well in the first 35 games or if that line had a capable RWer...

'16/'17 over/under 81 points?

emg0827

Apr 4, 2015
theres nothing more to say he's a star and imo only going to get better. Predictions for next season? 33g 50a, 83p

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
theres nothing more to say he's a star and imo only going to get better. Predictions for next season? 33g 50a, 83p

If we can get our 2nd line and possibly even 3rd line as more of a scoring threat his away totals should rise as well. Imagine if we actually have a power play!

Colborne - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Janko - Ferland

32 G 60 A, 92 Points (Whole league gets a bump from goalie pad restrictions.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad