Johnny Gaudreau: 2015/16 expectations?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
58 points in 58 games now. . . only 6 points behind his season total last year with 23 games left. For context, Monahan is currently 23 points back of last year's total, and Hudler is currently 42 back.

I'm just constantly amazed at what this guy is able to do. Last night in LA, the Kings very obviously were 100% focused on shutting him down, yet he still had a handful of very dangerous chances and a beauty assist. He learns and adapts to in game matchups better than anyone in the league. Halfway through the 2nd period, he started to catch on to some trends, and by the time the third rolled around it was the Johnny Gaudreau show.

I still think he ends up in the mid 80's. He's traditionally been a very strong closer, and he's due for a few big games . . . he only has 1 3+ point game since Christmas (he had 5 prior to Christmas) and only 2 goals in his last 13 games. It's a shame he wasn't in the lineup when the Leafs / Marlies came to town . . . probably would have picked up 2-4 points.

When he tried to dangle Doughty and got absolutely nothing, I was like hey, we've finally figured out not to run around...then he broke everyone else's ankles the rest of the game.

He might not have scored last night but he looked about 100 times more dangerous and comfortable than anytime I saw him play last year. I agree that he seemed to get stronger as the game went on, too, which is a credit to his understanding of the flow of things around him.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Gaudreau is a damn good player. The more I watch him, the more I'm impressed. He definitely has the talent to challenge for an Art Ross one day.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
Gaudreau is a damn good player. The more I watch him, the more I'm impressed. He definitely has the talent to challenge for an Art Ross one day.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he did. Not saying he's a lock or anything. But if he somehow did win it (or come close), I would not at all be surprised.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
When he tried to dangle Doughty and got absolutely nothing, I was like hey, we've finally figured out not to run around...then he broke everyone else's ankles the rest of the game.

He might not have scored last night but he looked about 100 times more dangerous and comfortable than anytime I saw him play last year. I agree that he seemed to get stronger as the game went on, too, which is a credit to his understanding of the flow of things around him.

I watch him a lot, and am slowing being convinced that he spends the first period of most games "testing for weaknesses in the fence", so to speak. He's able to take in and process that information, and make in game adjustments once he's learned what works and what doesn't.

I don't recall many games where he got worse as the game went on. It's almost always the exact opposite.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I still think he has another gear to his game. He has the ability to beat people one-on-one more than he does. And he should shoot a bit more.
But he's amazing already.

Nose Face Killah

Dracarys
Dec 2, 2012
MA
remember when people said "let's see him do this against actual NHL defenseman" good times, good times. Keep proving em' wrong Johnny

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I still think he has another gear to his game. He has the ability to beat people one-on-one more than he does. And he should shoot a bit more.
But he's amazing already.

There's no doubt in my mind. He's got at least one more jump in him.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I watch him a lot, and am slowing being convinced that he spends the first period of most games "testing for weaknesses in the fence", so to speak. He's able to take in and process that information, and make in game adjustments once he's learned what works and what doesn't.

I don't recall many games where he got worse as the game went on. It's almost always the exact opposite.

I agree. One of the smartest offensive players I've ever seen.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

OMG He's a velociraptor..

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
58 points in 58 games now. . . only 6 points behind his season total last year with 23 games left. For context, Monahan is currently 23 points back of last year's total, and Hudler is currently 42 back.

I'm just constantly amazed at what this guy is able to do. Last night in LA, the Kings very obviously were 100% focused on shutting him down, yet he still had a handful of very dangerous chances and a beauty assist. He learns and adapts to in game matchups better than anyone in the league. Halfway through the 2nd period, he started to catch on to some trends, and by the time the third rolled around it was the Johnny Gaudreau show.

I still think he ends up in the mid 80's. He's traditionally been a very strong closer, and he's due for a few big games . . . he only has 1 3+ point game since Christmas (he had 5 prior to Christmas) and only 2 goals in his last 13 games. It's a shame he wasn't in the lineup when the Leafs / Marlies came to town . . . probably would have picked up 2-4 points.

2g 1a so far thru 2 periods tonight . . . looking like he's starting to heat up. Extends his point streak to 7 games.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Regression sucks. I can't remember which preseason fantasy guide I saw which tabbed him for 62 points this season, but now he's got 21 games to make them look bad.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Dare I say he could be a Patrick Kane clone in 2 years?

His hands are on Kane's level. Speed's decent. Play-making = top shelf. But probably doesn't have the shot quite yet.

I definitely think he could be in the top 3 to 5 player in the league conversations in a couple of years. Hell I think he's in top 10 conversation right now.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
All the people in the beginning of the thread saying Gaudreau would put up 60 points are currently correct!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad