John Tavares injury

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
That would have made the situation 10x worse.

Ehhhh you're probably right but the "answer the call" portion of it is the most important. And, while I am disagreeing with what you said, in a "I am hypocrite" kinda way I do agree.

Perry did nothing wrong. That was completely an accident. I just think it was a smart fight on both players part. If Foligno jumped him, I'd be 10000% on the "Screw Foligno!" board. I just think it was smart on both players part.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Every other sport your kicked out, you know what I meant. If they didn’t want fighting in hockey they would make it the same as every other sport gone from ga
You said fighting is not against the rules, pretty sure that is what you meant.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Actually fighting is against the rules in hockey which is why there is a five minute penalty. There are plenty of us who love fighting in the game but feel as though there should be a lot less. Concussions and mental health are serious issues affecting enforcers and people that would fight. What if Perry or Foligno was knocked out and concussed? It happens. HOw bad would Perry feel if he knocked out Foligno? YOu could see in the fight that Perry didnt' want to fight. Stop the useless staged fighting and you hit my player I need to fight you mentality. Clean hits and accidents are a part of the game and following them up with a fight is stupid
It’s a penalty you’re not kicked out which makes it aloud, hence the reason there’s fighters in hockey. Foligno did nothing more than what happens in most games when things like that happen

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
I thought it was smart. I'll just paste what I told the other guy.

Anxiety may have been a better word but there's no denying that there was a tonne of emotions going into this game. Lots of people with lots of things to prove. Two major hockey cities that haven't met in forever. Then you have the captain get destroyed in a freak accident. An accident involving a guy who normally doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. If it's anyone else, there's probably not a fight but it's Perry. But he did the right thing. Took some punches he didn't deserve but that's where the whole thing ended.

Again, Perry didn't have to fight but it's an emotional game. All the Toronto players saw their Captain get stretchered off. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to think some of them are thinking "Look what THEY did to our captain." They'd be wrong, but it's a playoff hockey game.....players are not going to always think straight.

So instead of this situation sitting in everyones head, Perry answers the call and that's that. Everyone can focus on hockey again. Toronto gets to feel an ounce of "revenge" and Perry gets the situation out of the way so his team can focus on hockey....which is exactly what they did.

I would argue it's a bad mindset to focus on getting fighting retribution while you are in the middle of a playoff game. It distract you from keeping your eyes on the game, and beating the opponent in a way that actually matters.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So toxic masculinity/tribalism. "you accidentally hurt our leader, so Honor demands that I try to hurt you intentionally"

There's no crap like that in football or baseball or whatnot. Accidents happen man, starting hostility because of it just feed our base instincts.

Are you kidding? It happens in baseball all the time.

When a star gets hit by a pitch, his team's pitcher throws right back at the opposition's star.

Have you ever actually watched baseball?

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
Actually fighting is against the rules in hockey which is why there is a five minute penalty. There are plenty of us who love fighting in the game but feel as though there should be a lot less. Concussions and mental health are serious issues affecting enforcers and people that would fight. What if Perry or Foligno was knocked out and concussed? It happens. HOw bad would Perry feel if he knocked out Foligno? YOu could see in the fight that Perry didnt' want to fight. Stop the useless staged fighting and you hit my player I need to fight you mentality. Clean hits and accidents are a part of the game and following them up with a fight is stupid

Fighting is an infraction, but it's not banned.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Also, can we end the "Oh if I was in a car accident on a Tuesday and it was cloudy, could you beat me up then?"

This whole conversation is based around the context of hockey. You can't shoot hard rubber pucks at people in public either. That doesn't mean that you should remove the puck from hockey.

Reactions: Getz2noone

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
Are you kidding? It happens in baseball all the time.

When a star gets hit by a pitch, his team's pitcher throws right back at the opposition's star.

Have you ever actually watched baseball?

That happens when the star is *accidentally* hit? You sure you didn't skip a word in my post there?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I would argue it's a bad mindset to focus on getting fighting retribution while you are in the middle of a playoff game. It distract you from keeping your eyes on the game, and beating the opponent in a way that actually matters.

I think we've pretty close to the same mindset. I believe that's exactly why Foligno fought. I'd just alter your first comment to say "I would argue it's a bad mindset to focus on getting retribution."

That's exactly why both players fought. Get any animosity (whether deserved or not) out of the way right away and both teams can focus on the game.

Reactions: Getz2noone

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
That happens when the star is *accidentally* hit? You sure you didn't skip a word in my post there?

Yes, it also can happen when a pitcher loses control of a ball.

The other team might still throw at their batter to even things up.

Nice attempt at an analogy though, even though it's wrong.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Oh brother.
oh brother. is a response when someone cannot come up with a mature response. It was a stupid fight. Lets put it into this perspective. I actually hit a family dog a few weeks ago doing about 90k. I stopped the car and backed up and the family saw it and immediatly told me that it was NOT my fault. Evnethough I just hit this dog in front of its family and we were looking in the ditch for a severely injured dog or even a dead dog, i felt a little better that they reassured me. But I was still feeling horrible and had no idea how serious the injury was. Now just imagine while feeling like that, if the owner just came out swinging at me with emotions? Of course I would defend myself. I am a tough guy, and have been in many fights in my life. But at that point I know I would be fighting back with tears saying i didn't mean to do hurt your dog. I can only imagine Perry felt somewhat similar. So don't "oh brother".

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
There is plenty of that in baseball. The baseball code of honor is right up there as one of the most asinine things in sports. Teams will go tit for tat throwing fastballs at each other all year

I have a hard time accepting that any pitch hitting someone is genuinely accidental. At the very best its careless.

But what if a defensive play accidentally hit a star player who was running base. Then is this stupid "code" also gets into effect?

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Look, if you're completely against fighting then there's nothing I am going to say that makes sense. If that's your stance then I can appreciate that.

I am indeed completely against fights and even more a staged fight like that. This is for WWE fans.

After a few years of effort to try and bring pro hockey out of the gutter, I think this year has been a huge step back for the credibility of the NHL with incidents like this and Wilson going unpunished (in fact, being rewarded) for the nth time.

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I actually get fighting after clean hit. But to me this is the equivalent of falling and having skate cut opponent. Don't think anyone fights for that. If anyone, maybe Chiarot for hitting Tavares.

Embryo

LGR Check out my music.
Oct 7, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
www.youtube.com
Geez man, as a Ranger fan watching Tavares grow up in front of my eyes with the Islanders, really hurts me to see him taken out on a stretcher. I really hope he's ok and thoughts to his family. Never really liked him bc he was always a rival, but he's a human being and a great athlete, I really hope he's ok and this doesn't effect his great career. Get well, soon, John, NY will always love you!!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have a hard time accepting that any pitch hitting someone is genuinely accidental. At the very best its careless.

But what if a defensive play accidentally hit a star player who was running base. Then is this stupid "code" also gets into effect?

Just give up on trying to portray hockey as unique in this way.

Your baseball example is wrong.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
I thought it was smart. I'll just paste what I told the other guy.

Anxiety may have been a better word but there's no denying that there was a tonne of emotions going into this game. Lots of people with lots of things to prove. Two major hockey cities that haven't met in forever. Then you have the captain get destroyed in a freak accident. An accident involving a guy who normally doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. If it's anyone else, there's probably not a fight but it's Perry. But he did the right thing. Took some punches he didn't deserve but that's where the whole thing ended.

Again, Perry didn't have to fight but it's an emotional game. All the Toronto players saw their Captain get stretchered off. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to think some of them are thinking "Look what THEY did to our captain." They'd be wrong, but it's a playoff hockey game.....players are not going to always think straight.

So instead of this situation sitting in everyones head, Perry answers the call and that's that. Everyone can focus on hockey again. Toronto gets to feel an ounce of "revenge" and Perry gets the situation out of the way so his team can focus on hockey....which is exactly what they did.
I understand your point - given the way the game is played these days there is an argument to be made that having a fight quickly just got it over with. The counter could have been someone on the leafs trying to spark the team with a reactionary hit or something like that, which could have also had bad outcomes.

I think at the same time though I think a lot of us on the other side of the argument feel it shouldn't have to be this way. Why does there need to be a physical fight over something that was quite clearly an accident. This also could have bad outcomes with someone getting injured.

I have never played hockey at a high level so I will never personally understand the emotions that run through the players at a time like this. But as an outsider, it's sad that the state of the game is such that the players need to settle this out with a fight to get past their emotions and get back to hockey. I think some spectators just want fighting in the game and want this to happen (I get that opinion, but don't personally agree with that). But for those of us who would like to see less fights and more hockey, you would hope that there would be a better way with all the advances in sports psychology, to get a team to get over an emotional obstacle like this.

Reactions: GoJetsGo55

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
Yes, it also can happen when a pitcher loses control of a ball.

The other team might still throw at their batter to even things up.

Nice attempt at an analogy though, even though it's wrong.

"when a pitcher loses control of the ball". So nowhere near the same level of freak accident. A pitcher who "loses control of the ball" is careless.

Tell me, does this stupid code demand retribution if a star player is accidentally hit by a defensive play while he is trying to run a base? You know, actual freak accident.

Comparing a pitcher striking the batter to a real freak accident that involved 3 different people is disingenuous. The pitcher has literally nothing to interfere with his pitch.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Do teams carry fighters? If so I assume that that means you can fight in hockey, you get a penalty but you can fight in hockey. Foligno fought which is part of the game no?
Teams have players who can fight, happens all the time. Teams also have players who can cross-check, trip, slash and interfere.
What the hell are you going on about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad