John Tavares injury

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Yes I do. I just don't agree.
I thought it was smart. I'll just paste what I told the other guy.

Anxiety may have been a better word but there's no denying that there was a tonne of emotions going into this game. Lots of people with lots of things to prove. Two major hockey cities that haven't met in forever. Then you have the captain get destroyed in a freak accident. An accident involving a guy who normally doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. If it's anyone else, there's probably not a fight but it's Perry. But he did the right thing. Took some punches he didn't deserve but that's where the whole thing ended.

Again, Perry didn't have to fight but it's an emotional game. All the Toronto players saw their Captain get stretchered off. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to think some of them are thinking "Look what THEY did to our captain." They'd be wrong, but it's a playoff hockey game.....players are not going to always think straight.

So instead of this situation sitting in everyones head, Perry answers the call and that's that. Everyone can focus on hockey again. Toronto gets to feel an ounce of "revenge" and Perry gets the situation out of the way so his team can focus on hockey....which is exactly what they did.

Reactions: Extra Texture

yort2010

Dec 28, 2016
After the Foligno fight and guys taking runs at Perry now the league is going to have to step in tell the refs to take control. The Leafs are gross in how they're handling this. Baby team with baby players and a baby GM and coach.

Lets not talk about the scumbag organization like the Canadians, who want scumbag players like Perry on their team...

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Fighting is not against the rules in hockey so Foligno did nothing wrong. Obviously the leafs bench didn’t think it was accidental contact so they went after Perry. This is the way hockey has always been played unfortunately and until they take fighting out of the game will always be played. If the roles were reversed Perry would be challenging Foligno just the same imho.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Clearly an accident by perry,

as for people attacking foligno, I think he was trying to spark the team, you could visibly see the emotions drained from the leafs players watching Tavares.... I don’t really have an issue with it, the leafs have struggled with leadership amongst the players for years I imagine he was just trying to be the guy. perry knew it was coming he’s been in the league a long time, didn’t seem like perry tried to fight much just get it over with.
No problems with anything that occurred, hit was unfortunate and hoping Tavares recovers quickly, never want to see that type of accident happen to any player

Reactions: Rec T

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
So toxic masculinity/tribalism. "you accidentally hurt our leader, so Honor demands that I try to hurt you intentionally"

There's no crap like that in football or baseball or whatnot. Accidents happen man, starting hostility because of it just feed our base instincts.
Yeah basically. I'm not saying I'm in favour of the fight or what it may represent. I can just see why it happened based on how hockey. I don't get how people are so surprised by it.

yort2010

Dec 28, 2016
I'm all for fighting in hockey. With that said, why the f*** does Perry need to answer for something that was clearly accidental?

That was the dumbest fight I've seen in hockey, maybe ever. Pure accident. Perry is a D-bag, but probably feels bad. You don't need to make him fight for that, and there's no, "Receipt" that needs to be given.

because it's Perry, he a scumbag player who accidentally injures people.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I thought it was smart. I'll just paste what I told the other guy.

Anxiety may have been a better word but there's no denying that there was a tonne of emotions going into this game. Lots of people with lots of things to prove. Two major hockey cities that haven't met in forever. Then you have the captain get destroyed in a freak accident. An accident involving a guy who normally doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. If it's anyone else, there's probably not a fight but it's Perry. But he did the right thing. Took some punches he didn't deserve but that's where the whole thing ended.

Again, Perry didn't have to fight but it's an emotional game. All the Toronto players saw their Captain get stretchered off. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to think some of them are thinking "Look what THEY did to our captain." They'd be wrong, but it's a playoff hockey game.....players are not going to always think straight.

So instead of this situation sitting in everyones head, Perry answers the call and that's that. Everyone can focus on hockey again. Toronto gets to feel an ounce of "revenge" and Perry gets the situation out of the way so his team can focus on hockey....which is exactly what they did.

What if Perry fought back and took Foligno out of the game? Would that be acceptable?

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
I don't see how people are missing that that fight worked out well for both teams.

Yeah right. Because one player was accidentally injured, one numbnut decided it would be a good idea to fight another player so that they can both increase the neurological damage they probably already suffer from and risk all kind of other type of injuries too.

All fights are useless but this one managed the exploit of being even more useless and baseless than usual.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah right. Because one player was accidentally injured, one numbnut decided it would be a good idea to fight another player so that they can both increase the neurological damage they probably already suffer from and risk all kind of other type of injuries too.

All fights are useless but this one managed the exploit of being even more useless and baseless than usual.

Look, if you're completely against fighting then there's nothing I am going to say that makes sense. If that's your stance then I can appreciate that.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
So toxic masculinity/tribalism. "you accidentally hurt our leader, so Honor demands that I try to hurt you intentionally"

There's no crap like that in football or baseball or whatnot. Accidents happen man, starting hostility because of it just feed our base instincts.
There is plenty of that in baseball. The baseball code of honor is right up there as one of the most asinine things in sports. Teams will go tit for tat throwing fastballs at each other all year

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Clearly an accident by perry,

as for people attacking foligno, I think he was trying to spark the team, you could visibly see the emotions drained from the leafs players watching Tavares.... I don’t really have an issue with it, the leafs have struggled with leadership amongst the players for years I imagine he was just trying to be the guy. perry knew it was coming he’s been in the league a long time, didn’t seem like perry tried to fight much just get it over with.
No problems with anything that occurred, hit was unfortunate and hoping Tavares recovers quickly, never want to see that type of accident happen to any player
I can’t imagine almost killing my friend in a horrible accident and then someone coming up to me and challenging me to a fight. Perry was visibly shaken and almost in tears. Spark his team? Foligno looked like a clown and made the NHL look ridiculous. I can’t even conceive of a situation where this kind of thing could happen in any other sport (other than wrestling). Imagine a pitcher getting smoked in the temple with a line drive and the first baseman coming over to fight the batter. So childish and embarrassing.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
It's amazing how my reaction changed after the fight. After the hit I literally said the Leafs were going to win the cup and to be honest were kind of rooting for them at that point. Then Foligno was a complete tool and I wanted the Habs to destroy them the moment he dropped the gloves. Such a dick move. Fighting belongs in hockey. I love a good hockey fight. I don't like staged fighting. I don't like people who starts fights after a clean hit and most of all I don't like it when a guy is forced to fight after feeling absolutly terrible for possibly ruining a friends career. I honestly believe that Perry didn't even want to fight. He just wanted to get it over with. A part of me thinks he wishes he could just walk back to the dressing room and let some emotions out.

Oh brother.

Reactions: Jetter

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Fighting is not against the rules in hockey so Foligno did nothing wrong. Obviously the leafs bench didn’t think it was accidental contact so they went after Perry. This is the way hockey has always been played unfortunately and until they take fighting out of the game will always be played. If the roles were reversed Perry would be challenging Foligno just the same imho.
Actually fighting is against the rules in hockey which is why there is a five minute penalty. There are plenty of us who love fighting in the game but feel as though there should be a lot less. Concussions and mental health are serious issues affecting enforcers and people that would fight. What if Perry or Foligno was knocked out and concussed? It happens. HOw bad would Perry feel if he knocked out Foligno? YOu could see in the fight that Perry didnt' want to fight. Stop the useless staged fighting and you hit my player I need to fight you mentality. Clean hits and accidents are a part of the game and following them up with a fight is stupid

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Holy crap, didnt know anything about this until this morning. Thankfully havent seen the video but based on the description and stills this is scary as f***.

Hope to hell Tavares is okay, as a person first and a player second, and my thoughts to him and his family. Was really looking forward to this series, this really puts a different spin on it. As far as the fight it sounds like it was pantomime for a freak accident, but good on Perry for taking a few licks to settle the matter.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Not sure the point. Are you saying this was a dirty hit? If so, then agree to disagree. If not, then we agree - and my view is that Foligno is an idiot for WWE antics around a very serious accident
no i'm saying foligno should have fought and he did the right thing. dirty or not, let's not pretend the habs wouldn't have done the same thing. The idiot chiarot was shoving and causing scrums for literally no reason. Foligno did what was right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad