John Tavares injury

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Why are so many people pissed about a fight that, while it wasn't necessary for Perry to fight, bookended a nasty situation and got the game back on track?

It took some aggression out of the air and had people focusing on hockey again.

Reactions: ZJuice and Kelly

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Why are so many people pissed about a fight that, while it wasn't necessary for Perry to fight, bookended a nasty situation and got the game back on track?

It was stupid. Perry didn't even try to throw a single punch. Would it have been better if Perry got injured there? What if Perry decided to actually fight and knocked Foligno out? Just totally unnecessary.

Ducer

Jan 20, 2021
I would rather have a fight in the game then a player crossing the line with high hit's or dirty play, this game could of easily had a Kadri type player take a run at Carey Price and say opps didn't mean to get you in the head.

Reactions: Korg

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020

Because it was stupid and pointless and adds fuel to the folks who want fighting to be banned.
I like a good fight when it's warranted but that fight was cringe worthy.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Why?
It was a fluke accident and yet people seem to think that Foligno was somehow obligated to fight Perry.
It was the guy's captain being injured. Regardless of the incident, someone on the Leafs was going to feel obligated to fight Perry. I'm not saying that is the right decision, what we saw last night was a unique situation. Again listen to the Foligno post-game interview. He explains the thought process there.

yort2010

Dec 28, 2016
Come on man, there was no way at all that was intentional. It was just a very bad bad set of circumstances.

Good to see the thumbs up on the way out.

Guaranteed if it was Kadri instead of Perry, and McDavid instead of JT, this would be a different discussion...

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
You’re in a very small majority my man, had nothing even happened tons of people would want to see Perry getting fed just for his history of nonsense.
You should be praising perry for taking the fight.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Habs fan here. Firstly I really hope John makes a full recovery. I’m a bit of an old school player, I like rough stuff I don’t mind seeing stuff cross the line from time to but I’ll be honest that was one of the hardest things to watch. When the trainer had his hand on his neck I thought he was cut and I was witnessing someone die. I was truly terrified. Even after realizing it was a head Injury I was just as terrified. So hard to watch. I feel bad for his family who had to sit their helpless and watch that on a tv screen. Johnny is one of the good guys and that was hard to watch. Took a big bite out of what should have been an overly exciting win.

as for the Foligno stuff, I dunno. I get it. As a former captain he seen his captain getting stretchered off the ice. It’s like when a d man hits a player into his own goalie. You still go after that player because if you wanna drive to the net like that accident or not your going to have to answer for hitting our goalie. I bet looking back Foligno probably wishes he didn’t fight perry(but maybe not). It was a really tough emotional situation there especially for the leafs and Perry. Foligno was brought in for his leadership and grit. I’m sure he felt like he had to do something. I’m ok with it. Perry answered the bell and knew better than to throw some bombs. He just held on and took it to diffuse the situation. I don’t think Foligno looks bad for doing that not in my eyes anyways. I don’t think it was the appropriate response but I get it. My boss who’s a leafs fans texted me and he said he felt bad for Perry. Anyways get better soon JT

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Was there aggression in the air? To me it felt more like anxiety.

Anxiety may have been a better word but there's no denying that there was a tonne of emotions going into this game. Lots of people with lots of things to prove. Two major hockey cities that haven't met in forever. Then you have the captain get destroyed in a freak accident. An accident involving a guy who normally doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. If it's anyone else, there's probably not a fight but it's Perry. But he did the right thing. Took some punches he didn't deserve but that's where the whole thing ended.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The fight is such a non-issue I can't believe it's still being talked about.

It's about a tepid a scrap as I've seen. No one was going to get injured, I've seen worse post-whistle scrums.

The real bonus of the fight is that it prevented the media from inventing some kind of revenge storyline after the game and mitigated questions about "standing around doing nothing while your Captain was on the ice".

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
rich for bruins fans to come in with these bullshit takes. Your team has been dirty for years. Most of y'all thought the chara hit on max pac was legit so I mean ....

trash take.
Not sure the point. Are you saying this was a dirty hit? If so, then agree to disagree. If not, then we agree - and my view is that Foligno is an idiot for WWE antics around a very serious accident

Reactions: Puckclektr

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Just rewatching the play again and why the hell did the medical staffer try to sit Tavares up right away, :shakehead ridiculous

The medical staff grabbed him by the throat and the back of his neck to probably stabilize him because he was disoriented and not listening. If he felt like he had to stabilize his neck like that I can guarantee you he wasn't trying to get him to sit up. What was he supposed to do? Wrestle Tavares back to the ice? :laugh:

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
It's amazing how my reaction changed after the fight. After the hit I literally said the Leafs were going to win the cup and to be honest were kind of rooting for them at that point. Then Foligno was a complete tool and I wanted the Habs to destroy them the moment he dropped the gloves. Such a dick move. Fighting belongs in hockey. I love a good hockey fight. I don't like staged fighting. I don't like people who starts fights after a clean hit and most of all I don't like it when a guy is forced to fight after feeling absolutly terrible for possibly ruining a friends career. I honestly believe that Perry didn't even want to fight. He just wanted to get it over with. A part of me thinks he wishes he could just walk back to the dressing room and let some emotions out.

Reactions: Dicky113

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
The teams figured it out. Game went on just fine. If it bothers you suck it up or stop watching.

now it’s just about hoping Tavares is ok

Reactions: LurkerMcgee

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Fighting in hockey is a controversial topic. Sometimes emotion boils over, and I think we all get up from our seats to watch those brawls. But no matter what Foligno said and how it might make sense to the players, imagine watching that stuff as a casual fan. That was an embarrassing moment for the sport.

That said, it's over and done, and people should focus on discussing the health and hopefully full recovery for JT.
Very well said;

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
It was the guy's captain being injured. Regardless of the incident, someone on the Leafs was going to feel obligated to fight Perry. I'm not saying that is the right decision, what we saw last night was a unique situation. Again listen to the Foligno post-game interview. He explains the thought process there.

So toxic masculinity/tribalism. "you accidentally hurt our leader, so Honor demands that I try to hurt you intentionally"

There's no crap like that in football or baseball or whatnot. Accidents happen man, starting hostility because of it just feed our base instincts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad