John Tavares injury

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Perry is known as a rat and has earned that reputation. But that was a freak accident.
Even his bad reputation is based on more being a dick, messing with goalies, using his stick. I can’t recall him ever doing anything even remotely similar ever before. This isn’t Matt Cooke.

Reactions: Canucks5551

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Tavares is hands down one of my favorite players and to watch him go down like that. All you can do is hope that by some miracle, his family didn't have to watch that hit. Absolutely disgusting that certain people are cheering for injury on other boards and celebrating a star player losing blood and consciousness. Forum board or not, all life is valuable and should be treated with respect.

I will withhold my opinions on whether it was intentional or not, it seems irrelevant in the eyes of just wanting Tavares to be okay.

Please for the love of god, no revenge hits or plays. Just play for Tavares.

Some people are incapable of closing their eyes and imagining themselves in another persons shoes. It's unfortunate but that's the world we live in today. It's up to the rest of society to remind or educate those who can't empathise.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Seriously, this is the most frightening thing I've seen in any sport since Romain Grosjean's crash at the Bahrain GP last year (any F1 fans on here will understand).

Admittedly, I didn't appreciate SN just jamming replays of it down our throat. As someone who watches tons of auto racing, I appreciate how they wait to know if the driver is okay (like they did for Grosjean) before showing replays. It's sad that SN chose to just show it a million times anyways.
I agree with the jamming replays. Seeing Tavares try to get up and fall back down is not a pretty sight at all. Not something I would want people to be seeing all over the TV. Show the thumbs up on the stretcher, but not him losing consciousness while trying to get up.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Even his bad reputation is based on more being a dick, messing with goalies, using his stick. I can’t recall him ever doing anything even remotely similar ever before. This isn’t Matt Cooke.

Perry had no intention of hurting Tavares. It's an accident that makes you sick because it could happen to anyone.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think we are in agreement. All I sad was if it was a 50/50 play blame Perry. In this appeared to be completely accidental.

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
I've been around these types of players all my life...in all sports. The type that will spike you running to first...oops.. Shoot at you on purpose when they are getting their ass kicked... Nick Kypreos on Grant Fuhr... I get it that it won't be the popular view but Corey's track record of "oops" moments means he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. I only wish he had left on a stretcher after the fight... I'm not given to violence but when you watch the Wilson's and Perry's you just wish that one time they would experience what is like to almost have their career ended.
I’m reporting this. Garbage

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
I've been around these types of players all my life...in all sports. The type that will spike you running to first...oops.. Shoot at you on purpose when they are getting their ass kicked... Nick Kypreos on Grant Fuhr... I get it that it won't be the popular view but Corey's track record of "oops" moments means he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. I only wish he had left on a stretcher after the fight... I'm not given to violence but when you watch the Wilson's and Perry's you just wish that one time they would experience what is like to almost have their career ended.
Good grief.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
When 95% of fans (including lots of Leaf fans) are defending Corey fricking Perry maybe, just maybe, it was a fluke accident.

As a Flame fan I have a built in hate for Perry but there is no question he felt terrible for what happened and the "fight" was a joke.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Or you can just admit that sometimes shitty things happen no?
Sometimes they do. And sometimes things are done with intention, negligence, or stupidity or a combination of all 3. Perry’s history shows he has no respect for the safety of an opponent, and he is almost instinctually a dangerous player because he has and will always play his game with a dirty edge to it.

topplezz

Oct 28, 2018
I am a huge lurker on this site.massive leafs fan. I enjoy reading posts but after seeing how people here act I’m out. I don’t care that the leafs lost. All that matters is that John Tavares is ok. It’s not about hockey, I pray he is ok long term and you all should be doing the same

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I just hope the doctors and team do their diligence with JT. No need to rush him back after an injury like that. I've heard concussions are a weird breed. You may feel good at one point and be face down in your pillow the next. The hockey world benefits from JT at 100%, not rushing him back to save a season and causing more harm. Not saying I dont trust the Maple Leafs, rather just acknowledging how serious this is.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
OqaOlhQ.gif

No doubt in my mind Perry was trying to avoid him. Watch Corey the entire clip and you'll see as soon Tavares starts falling he slides to his right tucking his left leg in to avoid him. Also, notice where Perry is looking when Tavares is hit: He's watching the puck. If he had the fastest reflexes of any human on the planet, maybe he doesn't make contact.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sometimes they do. And sometimes things are done with intention, negligence, or stupidity or a combination of all 3. Perry’s history shows he has no respect for the safety of an opponent, and he is almost instinctually a dangerous player because he has and will always play his game with a dirty edge to it.
You obviously are screaming for attention.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Seriously, this is the most frightening thing I've seen in any sport since Romain Grosjean's crash at the Bahrain GP last year (any F1 fans on here will understand).

Admittedly, I didn't appreciate SN just jamming replays of it down our throat. As someone who watches tons of auto racing, I appreciate how they wait to know if the driver is okay (like they did for Grosjean) before showing replays. It's sad that SN chose to just show it a million times anyways.

I don't think they realised how gruesome it was going to be when they cut to him initially. I agree it was in poor taste though. Might be the worst hockey injury I've ever seen happen live.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No doubt in my mind Perry was trying to avoid him. Watch Corey the entire clip and you'll see as soon Tavares starts falling he slides to his right tucking his left leg in to avoid him. Also, notice where Perry is looking when Tavares is hit: He's watching the puck. If he had the fastest reflexes of any human on the planet, maybe he doesn't make contact.

IMPOSSIBLE.

This is all reflex and it's NOT humanly impossible for him to react. Another 5 feet and he has time to react.

Last edited:

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Maybe so but this wasn't one of those times and you know it but insist on creating some alternate scenario to help you cope. I get it don’t worry. Some people just always need a villain to blame. Its a coping mechanism Im sure.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
It seems like there’s way more people upset that some people think it was intentional than actual people thinking it was intentional.

Maybe just ignore those few.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
This is the second straight year we get a player stretchered off in post-season...

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
It seems like there’s way more people upset that some people think it was intentional than actual people thinking it was intentional.

Maybe just ignore those few.
Nah, those people need to be called out.
Kind of like the flat Earth folks.

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
I don't think they realised how gruesome it was going to be when they cut to him initially. I agree it was in poor taste though. Might be the worst hockey injury I've ever seen happen live.
Violence sells in hockey. The sport is run by Neanderthals

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Im almost mad at myself for continuing this conversation lol.

Tipping pucks is a developed skill that is practiced OVER and OVER again by players. It's engrained as a mechanical process the body deems second nature. That's why we hear about players doing tip and deflection drills. You could easily estimate a player tips over a thousand pucks a year in practice or game scenarios. Also, in almost every tip situation, the player deflecting is 100% focused on the puck, and is stationary (or relatively stationary). Determining angle and the physics of one moving object is much easier than two (Perry skating towards one direction and Tavares falling the other way).

While you are correct that plays are made on peripheral vision, you cannot align the way players are looking for oncoming checks or passes to Perry actively looking for a player tumbling towards his legs while the puck is 25 feet up the ice. The former situations are expected events and engrained into a players movements. The latter is ad hoc.

You are arguing two things, and I dont think either is valid. This is an abnormal play, and you shouldn't be taking normal actions a player may do (tipping pucks (which still takes more than .3 seconds from my rough timing I just did)) and trying to use them to justify (or unjustify) Perry's actions for an ABNORMAL situation. No player builds in the muscle memory to avoid tumbling players coming towards them. Do they work on high steps or general avoidance? Of course. But this specific situation is not practiced like tip drills.

If you think Perry has the time to CHOOSE the better of and infinite list of potential actions in a super finite amount of time, you are giving the human body and brain wayyyy too much credit. Perry tried to jump over because that's instinctively what a person would do when something is falling at their feet. Their body ISN'T thinking - its reacting. Planning to do something else isn't logical. Perry reacts, but circumstances didnt allow for a better outcome from the proper natural reaction.

Tipping pucks is a developed skill but skating and deciding what direction to go in is not?

You say Tavares getting hit and falling is ad hoc and cannot be predicted. Yet hits happen all the time and falls happen all the time and players have seen it happen and the results 1000s of times in their career. And they’ve seen it with peripheral and direct vision to the play, being able to predict outcomes both ways.

Your reasoning to discount my view that a historically dirty player did another dirty play boiled down to reaction time analysis and determining what plays can and cannot be made using peripheral view. I don’t bring up those points to “prove” Perry made an intentional hit, they are only brought up because you brought them up first. So no, I didn’t use those as a basis for my argument only as a basis to my counter points.

At the end of the day, I will admit I 100% cannot prove intent on this. No one can read minds. What we are left with is past history and that players character, and if you look at that, everything points to another typical stupid and dangerous Perry play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad