John Tavares injury

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
It was a freak accident

There have been instances in the past one can say Perry did things intentionally

This? not one of those

Last edited:
Reactions: Fledgemyhedge

HeussLenfoire

Jan 21, 2021
In a game you’ve played your whole life at an elite level. I don’t think that hit and the result was unpredictable. It’s not a random collision like a car crashing into a tree and trying to predict where the branches go. This is hockey, players know what’s up and what’s happening and can figure that out in split seconds and do just that on instinct.

Can you please just shut up and go to sleep, stop humiliating yourself

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
What message needed to be sent to the Habs or Perry for a freak accident?

I know you are in the minority on this but unfortunately you’re far from alone. I’m literally starting to question why I even bother with these boards anymore .
He didn't know it was a freak accident.

The event occurred in the blink of an eye. If you didn't see the whole thing, but just the aftermath, and see Corey Perry on the scene you put two and two together to make assumptions that in this case were unfounded.

The fight was pointless. Perry knew that, but it probably didn't seem that way to Foligno at the time.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Perry was skating up ice and can't tell which way Tavares is going to fall.

It was an unfortunate accident.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
As a die-hard Leafs fan. Perry doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt, but to blame him for this is far-reaching.
I just ask leaf fans who think this was intentional to imagine Thornton or Spezza in a similar situation. He’s still an effective hockey player due to his size, smarts and skills, but at this point Perry has worse agility than a zamboni. He’s an old man lol, it was just an unfortunate thing.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I just ask leaf fans who think this was intentional to imagine Thornton or Spezza in a similar situation. He’s still an effective hockey player due to his size, smarts and skills, but at this point Perry has worse agility than a zamboni. He’s an old man lol, it was just an unfortunate thing.
Perry is known as a rat and has earned that reputation. But that was a freak accident.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Anyone who thinks that was intentional needs to stop watching hockey or, better yet, go skate around the ice and see how impossible to get out of the way it sometimes is. Bunch a whiny fans in this thread.

I just hope Tavares is ok.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I've been around these types of players all my life...in all sports. The type that will spike you running to first...oops.. Shoot at you on purpose when they are getting their ass kicked... Nick Kypreos on Grant Fuhr... I get it that it won't be the popular view but Corey's track record of "oops" moments means he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. I only wish he had left on a stretcher after the fight... I'm not given to violence but when you watch the Wilson's and Perry's you just wish that one time they would experience what is like to almost have their career ended.

Do us all a favor and close your account.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Welp Leafs have officially absolved Perry of all responsibility for his predatory knee to Tavares head. Montreal could really take this series now with physicality, Leafs too nice to call a spade a spade.
Did you get hit in the head as well? They absolved Perry of all responsibility because they are based in reality while you live in a fantasy of your own making

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Seriously, this is the most frightening thing I've seen in any sport since Romain Grosjean's crash at the Bahrain GP last year (any F1 fans on here will understand).

Admittedly, I didn't appreciate SN just jamming replays of it down our throat. As someone who watches tons of auto racing, I appreciate how they wait to know if the driver is okay (like they did for Grosjean) before showing replays. It's sad that SN chose to just show it a million times anyways.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I’m reminded of the nasty fall and results that took Pavelski out of that Sharks Vegas game. It looked disgusting and scary but the good news is Pavelski came back and just had a monster year. Hoping the same for Tavares here and sooner rather than later.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
Players can tip pucks in much much less time than you’ve outlined here during this Tavares hit. Are those plays also physically impossible? And plays ARE made on peripheral vision all the time. The view to the Tavares play was straight on, even if Perry had his head slightly tilted towards the right of the fall he still sees the entire thing.

If he planned to jump and hurdle over Tavares he could have easily planned to do the exact opposite.
Im almost mad at myself for continuing this conversation lol.

Tipping pucks is a developed skill that is practiced OVER and OVER again by players. It's engrained as a mechanical process the body deems second nature. That's why we hear about players doing tip and deflection drills. You could easily estimate a player tips over a thousand pucks a year in practice or game scenarios. Also, in almost every tip situation, the player deflecting is 100% focused on the puck, and is stationary (or relatively stationary). Determining angle and the physics of one moving object is much easier than two (Perry skating towards one direction and Tavares falling the other way).

While you are correct that plays are made on peripheral vision, you cannot align the way players are looking for oncoming checks or passes to Perry actively looking for a player tumbling towards his legs while the puck is 25 feet up the ice. The former situations are expected events and engrained into a players movements. The latter is ad hoc.

You are arguing two things, and I dont think either is valid. This is an abnormal play, and you shouldn't be taking normal actions a player may do (tipping pucks (which still takes more than .3 seconds from my rough timing I just did)) and trying to use them to justify (or unjustify) Perry's actions for an ABNORMAL situation. No player builds in the muscle memory to avoid tumbling players coming towards them. Do they work on high steps or general avoidance? Of course. But this specific situation is not practiced like tip drills.

If you think Perry has the time to CHOOSE the better of and infinite list of potential actions in a super finite amount of time, you are giving the human body and brain wayyyy too much credit. Perry tried to jump over because that's instinctively what a person would do when something is falling at their feet. Their body ISN'T thinking - its reacting. Planning to do something else isn't logical. Perry reacts, but circumstances didnt allow for a better outcome from the proper natural reaction.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Tavares is hands down one of my favorite players and to watch him go down like that. All you can do is hope that by some miracle, his family didn't have to watch that hit. Absolutely disgusting that certain people are cheering for injury on other boards and celebrating a star player losing blood and consciousness. Forum board or not, all life is valuable and should be treated with respect.

I will withhold my opinions on whether it was intentional or not, it seems irrelevant in the eyes of just wanting Tavares to be okay.

Please for the love of god, no revenge hits or plays. Just play for Tavares.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Just hope he's ok, not even talking about the future of his career in hockey.

I'd trade this series for his health if that were an option.

There's some really nasty people out there starting to say he was faking it........you can't make that up. A normal person's brain that has any amount of empathy doesn't go there.

Praying for the dude is all I'll say. He seems like a good loyal family man.

He may have split on the Islanders but he just wanted to try playing for his boyhood team. I wouldn't fault a guy from the Bluejays splitting to NYC if he was from there and that was his dream.

Maybe I'd slag him a bit, because I'd be disappointed, but if I thought deep down about it maybe I'd be pretty lucky to be in the position to have that choice too, maybe I'd even admire it.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
It was obviously not intentional. Think people should give Foligno a break even if fighting Perry there was useless/silly though, can’t have been easy to watch him get stretchered off.

Definitely concerned about lasting effects there, that was ugly. You worry about life outside of hockey more than anything there.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Did you get hit in the head as well? They absolved Perry of all responsibility because they are based in reality while you live in a fantasy of your own making

It’s the hockey thing to do. And I will never be able to prove intent on Perry unless I start reading minds. But Perry is who he is, and his history of dangerous and stupid plays speaks for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad