John Tavares injury

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
That's probably about the grossest freak accident I've see in hockey since the MaxPac incident.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
The way Perry reacted before the hit looked like he wanted to get out of the way but hit him before he could.
I would lean towards freak accident.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The vast majority of time a physicist would not be able to in a split second accurately predict the outcome of a random collision.

If it was possible to accurately determine the outcome of a collision with infinite variables the world would be powered with nuclear fission

In a game you’ve played your whole life at an elite level. I don’t think that hit and the result was unpredictable. It’s not a random collision like a car crashing into a tree and trying to predict where the branches go. This is hockey, players know what’s up and what’s happening and can figure that out in split seconds and do just that on instinct.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
“new code”? First I’m hearing of it.
I mean you just stated it in your earlier post when you said “There’s this weird thing now where we see fights after clean hits. That wasn’t part of “the code” I remember seeing in the NHL.”

That is the new code.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Even Perry said in the press that he tried to leap frog JT but he didn't have enough time. This is old man Perry we are talking about here. If it was Hart trophy Perry than I can see him doing a flip over JT to avoid him.
The whole reason why we got Perry for vet minimum is that he can barely move. I ask Leaf fans to imagine Thornton or Spezza in a similar situation. These aren’t Olympic hurdlers here. Effective hockey players yes, but these are old men lol.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
the hit the the head took a fraction of a second. Tavares falling to the left, and Perry striding up and then gliding towards Tavares head had more than enough time to make a different decision than Perry made.
If you watch the event occur at full speed, Perry has approximately .7 seconds between the Charot impact to Tavares and the knee to the head. If you take the time between Tavares hitting the ice and Perry's knee, its around .3 seconds. The camera angle showing the hit from the Leafs zone shows Perry's eyes are focused up ice during the entirety of the incident.

Now, you are claiming that in roughly .3 seconds (Tavares impact on ice to Perry's knee) Perry decides (while looking up ice, so using his peripheral vision) that Tavares is in perfect line for a knee to the head at roughly 20 miles an hour would be not only the right thing to do, but the physically logical thing to do so blame couldnt possibly put on him for an intentional act. In the speed it takes someone to say the word "under" (roughly .3 seconds), Perry has determined to keep or change trajectory, and analyzed it against the other possibilities and decisions that COULD be made...

Not only are you wrong in your assertion that Perry COULD have made another decision in the time it takes you to say "understand" (.7 seconds - time from Chariot's hit to the knee), but you are trying to pull examples that dont actually align to what happened with Perry and Tavares here. In every video you have made, Perry has been deliberate, had multiple seconds to determine what to do, and the victim has been in the same physical space or trajectory so Perry doesn't have to react like he would for Tavares.

Is Perry a dick? Sure. Does he do dirty things? Sure. Did he make the decision in under a half a second to launch his knee into Tavares so his team could gain the upper hand in a playoff series and weight that option against not doing so, but then making the decision to go ahead with it while ultimately knowing this would be something most rational people would deem accidental so he wouldnt be reprimanded? Come on now... Let's be sensible here and focus on how unfortunate this is for Tavares. Not go on a wild limb that makes us look horribly insane.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Perry involved in another career shortening or ending event. No surprise here this guy should of been banned few seasons ago.
Yeah sure Perry tried to end his friend and teammate on so many team canada tourneys' career on purpose and made that decision within about an eight of a second while JT was unpredictably flying in the air.

10/10 analysis here

Reactions: Quack51

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Even Perry said in the press that he tried to leap frog JT but he didn't have enough time. This is old man Perry we are talking about here. If it was Hart trophy Perry than I can see him doing a flip over JT to avoid him.
The fight was pointless, but players don’t get slow motion replays and it was based on Perry’s reputation. Even if it was a garbage fight.

I hope everyone hopes JT is alright.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
In a game you’ve played your whole life at an elite level. I don’t think that hit and the result was unpredictable. It’s not a random collision like a car crashing into a tree and trying to predict where the branches go. This is hockey, players know what’s up and what’s happening and can figure that out in split seconds and do just that on instinct.
Give up bud. You are wrong in this one.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Strides and glides TOWARDS a falling Tavares head that turns around towards Perry’s knee in a split second. The face hit may have been unavoidable, but going anywhere near Tavares upper body was avoidable.

Getting unhealthy man. Time to take a break. Seriously.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If you watch the event occur at full speed, Perry has approximately .7 seconds between the Charot impact to Tavares and the knee to the head. If you take the time between Tavares hitting the ice and Perry's knee, its around .3 seconds. The camera angle showing the hit from the Leafs zone shows Perry's eyes are focused up ice during the entirety of the incident.

Now, you are claiming that in roughly .3 seconds (Tavares impact on ice to Perry's knee) Perry decides (while looking up ice, so using his peripheral vision) that Tavares is in perfect line for a knee to the head at roughly 20 miles an hour would be not only the right thing to do, but the physically logical thing to do so blame couldnt possibly put on him for an intentional act. In the speed it takes someone to say the word "under" (roughly .3 seconds), Perry has determined to keep or change trajectory, and analyzed it against the other possibilities and decisions that COULD be made...

Not only are you wrong in your assertion that Perry COULD have made another decision in the time it takes you to say "understand" (.7 seconds - time from Chariot's hit to the knee), but you are trying to pull examples that dont actually align to what happened with Perry and Tavares here. In every video you have made, Perry has been deliberate, had multiple seconds to determine what to do, and the victim has been in the same physical space or trajectory so Perry doesn't have to react like he would for Tavares.

Is Perry a dick? Sure. Does he do dirty things? Sure. Did he make the decision in under a half a second to launch his knee into Tavares so his team could gain the upper hand in a playoff series and weight that option against not doing so, but then making the decision to go ahead with it while ultimately knowing this would be something most rational people would deem accidental so he wouldnt be reprimanded? Come on now... Let's be sensible here and focus on how unfortunate this is for Tavares. Not go on a wild limb that makes us look horribly insane.

Players can tip pucks in much much less time than you’ve outlined here during this Tavares hit. Are those plays also physically impossible? And plays ARE made on peripheral vision all the time. The view to the Tavares play was straight on, even if Perry had his head slightly tilted towards the right of the fall he still sees the entire thing.

If he planned to jump and hurdle over Tavares he could have easily planned to do the exact opposite.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Foligno fighting him is as much to send a message to his teammates as it is to the Habs and Perry

What message needed to be sent to the Habs or Perry for a freak accident?

I know you are in the minority on this but unfortunately you’re far from alone. I’m literally starting to question why I even bother with these boards anymore .

Reactions: Spazkat

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
Guys we all know Perry is a piece of shit but there’s just NO way he had enough time to do either of the following: (1) get out of the way, (2) intentionally catch JT in a bad spot. It was SO SO quick.

Literally the most unfortunate thing I've ever seen. I hope JT is OK.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
You can tell it was accidental - Perry and Tavares are friends and Perry was practically in tears talking about it post game.

This was one of those injuries that was so scary that it goes beyond hockey and you worry about his family and hope he’ll be able to walk/function for his family.

The initial news is positive and I think mostly everyone in here is hoping for the best and speedy recovery!

Get well soon John

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
There are some insane mental gymnastics that people are doing in here to try and make Perry look like some sort of monster. I know he's not the most respected player but he's not insane.

If you've ever played hockey in your life you know immediately that this was a freak accident that happened in a very short window. Perry was flying up the ice before he made contact with Tavares as evidenced with how far he flew after contact.

There is absolutely not chance that he could react in time to do anything. You're just choosing to ignore logic and reasoning if you say otherwise.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Hope he gets better.

Some serious clowns here suggesting Perry did that intentionally. From the time Tavares fell to the time Perry's knee hit his head was about 1 second.

Reactions: Bartcal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad