John Tavares injury

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
Damn. Didn't like his look, reaction right after. Best to JT, hoping it's not anything long term. Get better soon.

As for Perry, I've always seen him as a POS. But he's has no fault here, really unfortunate accident.

Only caring about a person's health now. That should be the focus, always.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Everyone tagging on the trainer need to just shut up. He’s holding c-spine, on a guy who’s dazed and doesn’t want to lay down.

The guy did an excellent job with the circumstances. He’s not dragging him by the throat, he isn’t making him get up, exactly the opposite actually.
it's a tough job they have to keep proud athletes safe at all time indeed

Reactions: bleedgreen

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Horrifying. Thoughts and prayers for a full recovery for him.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Ideally, yes but things don't always work the 'right' way or by the book. Pretty sure that's one of the first things you learn in emergency situation training.

Seeing the replay. The trainer didn't realized the severity as Tavares was responsive and tried to get up by himself.
It's easy to blame them from up there.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I'm a Leafs fan and literally just shut off my feed after seeing that go down. I'll check the score in the norning. So much excitement for this series to finally start and not even a period in our captain goes down with a possibly life-altering injury. Just feel sick right now.

As for Perry, I hate the guy but that wasn't his fault. The optics will look terrible just because he of all guys was involved but he clearly tried to leap over him and just had no time. You could see the concern in his face and he went out of his way to help the Habs doctor out onto the ice and also to give Tavares a tap when they took him off.

As for the fight, I don't know. Maybe Foligno just didn't see what we saw and thought it was intentional. Maybe he knew it was an accident but tempers would flare as the series went on so it might have been better to just put a bow on it right away. If it was just some arbitrary code thing to fight for the sake of fighting accident or not then that would be a pretty stupid way to handle it. I'll wait to hear what the players have to say afterwards maybe we'll get some clarification.

Hope Tavares is okay. :(

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Ah but he sure made zero effort to not make contact..
Actually he did. You see his knees are pretty much touching each other. That would never happened normally unless he purposely brought his legs together, almost as if he was booking it out of the zone watching the puck and suddenly a body was falling into his path.

Could he have perhaps, jumped and dove over him? Sure. But its not his responsibility to do so. Why is this being a shitty, unlucky timing of events unacceptable for some people?

MattMartin

Crypto Dbag™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
I mean you see this in the UFC, but you become somewhat numb to it because of the sport. Watching it in hockey or football is another level. Just scary to see someone fall back like that.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Yeah....... there was zero intent there by perry

Anyone saying otherwise is either a leafs fan or a fan of a WC team who hates perry because of all his years with the ducks

MattMartin

Crypto Dbag™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Eh, I know not every single Isles fan meant harm to Tavares. But, the majority did. It was ridiculous. Go back to when he signed and afterwards.

Nah, I hope he never wins a cup. I hope he sucks. I never wished he got injured or had his career cut short. I don't remember us on this board wishing injury on him. I think that's fake news. I can't speak about twitter though, a lot of idiots on there might have.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Seeing the replay. The trainer didn't realized the severity as Tavares was responsive and tried to get up by himself.
It's easy to blame them from up there.
If anything the trainer was trying to talk him back to the ground. He’s holding c-spine. No one intends to hold c-spine on someone getting up and walking, the very fact he’s trying indicates he wants Tavares down. JT is getting up on his own accord, and if the trainer wasn’t holding c-spine when JT passed out he would’ve went backwards and struck his head (again) on the ice. So not only did the guy do nothing wrong, he did pretty much everything right and caught JT before he could hurt himself worse.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
That was brutal. Forget hockey, hope he gets to live a normal life after that collision

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
I applaud Perry for quite literally trying to dive over Tavares in the fraction of a second he had to react.
I'm unsure if the injury would of been worse or better had he effectively just went skating through.

As much as I hate Toronto and dislike what Tavares did to the Isles; I hope he'll be ok and recover quickly. Him trying to get up was the stuff of nightmares.
I don’t think Perry jumped, it was more the impact sent him flying into the air. He didn’t have enough time to avoid or jump.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Yeah....... there was zero intent there by perry

Anyone saying otherwise is either a leafs fan or a fan of a WC team who hates perry because of all his years with the ducks
I think even the most ardent of Perry haters can see it was accidental, especially after the thousands of (unnecessary) replays. Perry felt so bad.

That said, re: the Foligno fight - he doesn't have the benefit of replay. He just knows his captain went down and Perry was responsible. I can understand why he wouldn't be thinking straight. Besides, they dropped the mitts and that's it. Closure, reset, book closed. That's all the fight was. You could tell Perry wanted absolutely no part of it, but agreed to defuse the situation. Respect to Perry for that. In an alternate timeline where Kadri is still a Leaf, he senselessly crosschecks someone in the face and gets suspended.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well I sure don't have a problem being wrong, but it looked terrible and I've ONLY had basic training.
What would you have the guy do? He doesn’t have a collar, the crew with the stretcher have that bag. They don’t exactly fit in your back pocket. He knows his player took a blow to the head and is dazed. The priority is making sure the airway is clear, which seems fine and then holding c-spine so in case there’s a cervical fracture JT doesn’t severe his spinal cord by moving around while he’s seeing stars. What would you have him do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad