Value of: John Gibson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I don’t see the Ducks trading Gibson at all, they look like they could be turning the corner and be fighting for a playoff spot, especially with the central looking not great. Of course there is still lots of season left and Eakins still is the coach but they are currently trending in the right direction. I only see them trading him if he requests to be traded and that would happen in the off-season but I think even if they fade out down the stretch, they’ll be in the fight long enough that Murray will be able to convince Gibson to stick around, that is if he needs convincing.

If he is available though the Oilers definitely have the pieces to get a deal done, they’ve low key got a very strong prospect pool. They have lots of draft picks, then blue chippers like Holloway, Broberg and Samoroukov who’s close to being in that category and probably the first one to make his way onto the roster. Then guys Bourgeault who’s absolutely destroying the Q. Savoie, Tullio, Petrov are all guys trending well and having strong seasons in their respective leagues. Then you have guys who are a little older in McLeod, Rasanen, Niemelainen, Kemp and Kesselring who still have some possible upside. I guess you could even still call Bouchard a prospect as he has roughly 20 NHL games but he obviously wouldn’t be available in a trade.

If they want to make a move for a goalie or any other upgrades they have the pieces. Cap space on the other hand could be a problem but in the off season Koskinen comes off the books, some buyout money comes off the books and they could send Barrie and or Kassian out to clear another 4-8M so they have options.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Definitely not.

Certainly not compared to Byram/Newhook anyway. Which was suggested in this thread as the return from the Avs.

That said. As an Avs fan I'd probably move Newhook+ for Gibson.

Assuming we are able to get a 2C elsewhere at least. Likely by using Sam Girard in a trade.
Byram is definitely off the table at this point. I would be interested in something like:

Newhook + Justin Barron/Helleson + pick + short term cap dump of your choice (if necessary)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I tend to agree, Holloway is kinda a free add to their top 9 and fits the go for it now idea

His size and speed to already arguably the fastest team in the NHL will fit in perfectly.

He fits our top 9 or 4th line pretty well and is cost controlled.

The wrist injury is concerning but long term it shouldn’t impact him too much hopefully. I want to see him developed as a centre because he’s shown to be good at faceoffs but the wrist injury might force him to start on the wing.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
If the oilers had a goalie like shesty/Gibson they’d be a runaway cup favorite imo..
Once McDavid and Drai get going, they are pretty much unstoppable.
Fox would have 30pts already if he was on the ice 5v5 and PP with these 2.
If your Holland, you shore up the goaltending situation ASAP and don’t waste anymore of these guys primes p***yfooting around

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
I don't want to see Gibson traded at this time it could be a big mistake trading him and then end up with not so good goaltending during years we have a lot of exciting young players developing and progressing. Its not easy to find a goaltending like Gibson.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Timmons was traded - I think he was highly regarded though not elite. The reality is there are not many goalie trades, so its a reasonable point.

I think the shine wore off last year with Timmins for many Avs fans who don't value every prospect at their ceiling.
Not that he was a throwaway, but there was a strong vibe that his ceiling was going to be that of a quality #4 RHD while many saw a fragile #5 as the likely outcome.

I would have preferred the Avs tried to score a goalie like Gibson who had term with those assets +, but I just don't think that was available, especially if Sakic truly waited because he expected Grubauer to return on a more friendly deal.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No, it’s not a proposal it’s a post just talking about how Ducks fans overvalue Gibson and bullshit about 3-4 premium assets when Ducks fans generally want a good prospect and 1st.

With all due respect that is false . I seen Ducks fans wanting 1st , Holloway , ++ . Mind you one of those plus were Koskinen so I guess that's a negative altho he has played well enough this year .

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Do not want Holloway (his injuries and playstyle are no Bueno), and will not trade Gibson to Oilers unless its an overpayment.

Last edited:

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
With all due respect that is false . I seen Ducks fans wanting 1st , Holloway , ++ . Mind you one of those plus were Koskinen so I guess that's a negative altho he has played well enough this year .

He said 3-4 marquee pieces. Do you really consider Koskinen a marquee piece? Or a 2nd?
The main pieces are Holloway and the 1st.

He is making it sound like the Ducks fans are asking for Holloway + Broberg + 1st + Koskinen which is just false.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Meh there’s always 1 poster like that, I’ve seen oilers fans suggest koskinen + 2nd + benson get it done cause “ koskinen is almost as good as Gibson”

I think majority of duck fans would be comfortable with
1st + good prospect + capdump/place holder

1st koskinen Holloway
1st koskinen bourgault + conditional pick based on oilers playoffs
I would do 2021 1st + Koskinen + Yamamoto + conditional pick

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Byram is definitely off the table at this point. I would be interested in something like:

Newhook + Justin Barron/Helleson + pick + short term cap dump of your choice (if necessary)

I could get behind something like this. The pick isn't going to be a 1st though, not with one of Barron or Helleson going in the deal as well. At that point you'd be talking basically 3 1st round picks with one now being an A-tier sort of prospect.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Not trading an all-world goalie for left overs.

Gibson this year, after hearing all the haters that want him on their team
1A3FC708-DE2A-4653-A40C-D482B318CF92.gif

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I agree with that, and you already traded your 1st away anyway. I was assuming a 2nd.

We also traded our 2nd :laugh: But ya I was thinking a 2022 2nd would probably be fair.

So something along the lines of:

Newhook + Barron + 2022 2nd

I think if a deal were to happen from the Avs it would most likely be a next summer sort of thing anyway. I imagine Anaheim realistically is probably in the same boat with the start if the year they're currently having.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp
Oct 18, 2011
If the Ducks are winning Gibson isn't gonna want a trade. He has been frustrated with the losing and the team just not being competitive but I've been saying I like the fact that losing pisses him off it should never be acceptable. If we can keep being competitive I think you will see him playing well

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
If Gibson is ever available, the Oilers should be all over him. They’d be downright scary with a legit goalie[/QUO
He is the goalie they need....with the ducks playing decent, he isnt going anywhere soon ut if he did the return would be HUGE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad