Value of: John Gibson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Whatever people think he's worth, its lower than that.

Look at what goalies fetch in trades and Gibson has been coasting on reputation for 3 years now.
His number have been mediocre for the past 2 seasons and combine that with his quite large/long contract, I'd be willing to wager the interest of real GMs would be a lot lower than that of HFboard members.

Ducks fans will flock to my post about how bad the ducks defense is, but they don't seem to be consistent in that sentiment when it comes to the trade value threads for Manson, Lindholm, Fowler, etc

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Look at what goalies fetch in trades and Gibson has been coasting on reputation for 3 years now.
His number have been mediocre for the past 2 seasons and combine that with his quite large/long contract, I'd be willing to wager the interest of real GMs would be a lot lower than that of HFboard members.

Ducks fans will flock to my post about how bad the ducks defense is, but they don't seem to be consistent in that sentiment when it comes to the trade value threads for Manson, Lindholm, Fowler, etc
I mean your posts are irrelevant cause Anaheim has shown no interest in moving Gibson.

most duck fans have said Manson isn’t good for awhile, fowler is a 2/3 guy and lindholm is a 1/2 guy. Lindholm has missed significant time the last 3 seasons not shocking our defense has hurt a lot because of it

I imagine a lot of gms would trade a 1st + good prospect for gibson pretty comfortably

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I mean your posts are irrelevant cause Anaheim has shown no interest in moving Gibson.

most duck fans have said Manson isn’t good for awhile, fowler is a 2/3 guy and lindholm is a 1/2 guy. Lindholm has missed significant time the last 3 seasons not shocking our defense has hurt a lot because of it

I imagine a lot of gms would trade a 1st + good prospect for gibson pretty comfortably
1st + a good prospect for sure.

That doesn't align with some of the price tags I've seen tossed around for Gibson

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
1st + a good prospect for sure.

That doesn't align with some of the price tags I've seen tossed around for Gibson
I mean it depends what else teams are trying to throw into a trade.

I think a lot of times people try to slip in cap dumps, and think Anaheim will take it as charity…. Which wouldn’t be pointless for us, if you want gibson you pay if you want us to take cap back that we don’t want
/need, you pay

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I mean it depends what else teams are trying to throw into a trade.

I think a lot of times people try to skip in cap dumps, and think Anaheim will take it as charity…. Which wouldn’t be pointless for us, if you want gibson you pay if you want us to take cap back that we don’t want
/need, you pay
Well I think an example of this is any deal that has Gibson going to Edmonton has Koskinen coming back, but I don't view Koskinen as a cap dump in this scenario.

He is 2nd in the league wins right now and has a .920 save%. That's solid numbers for a goalie whose contract ends this year and is paid 4.5 million, and its not like Edmonton's defense is shutdown. Plus the Ducks would need a goalie anyways to finish the season with.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'm sure you would. On the flip side, closer to the deadline I'd like to see the Ducks trade their 22 3rd + for either Power or Quinn... maybe even both. Chances of either of those happening though are roughly equivalent of my favorite actress showing up at my front door, naked, holding a pizza & saying "I'm hungry & horny, let's do this..."

However, short of him flat out demanding a trade, I can't see the Ducks wanting to trade him for anything but a big overpayment. Especially now that they're doing far better than expected this season & the light at the end of the tunnel no longer is an onrushing train.
you tried to hard (pun intended)

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.

Last season Lindholm played 18 games and Manson played 23
2 seasons ago Lindholm played 56,Fowler played 59 and Manson played 50

That shows that the Ducks have had problems with health from the blueline. Also coaching wasn't good during that time either.

Gibson isn't as bad as made out to be by some people. He might not be worth as much on the trade market as Ducks fans would like but he is worth a lot to the Ducks.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Well I think an example of this is any deal that has Gibson going to Edmonton has Koskinen coming back, but I don't view Koskinen as a cap dump in this scenario.

He is 2nd in the league wins right now and has a .920 save%. That's solid numbers for a goalie whose contract ends this year and is paid 4.5 million, and its not like Edmonton's defense is shutdown. Plus the Ducks would need a goalie anyways to finish the season with.
Which makes you wonder why oilers fans would want to trade him with a 1st and a good prospect for gibson ?

if we’re going to talk about gibson not putting up great stats last couple years

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Which makes you wonder why oilers fans would want to trade him with a 1st and a good prospect for gibson ?

if we’re going to talk about gibson not putting up great stats last couple years
I honestly question if its a wise move. It'd be a disaster if Edmonton paid a heavy price for a goalie upgrade and then Gibson stinks it out with a .905 save% 3GAA again. They'd be double screwed because not only did their goaltending actually downgrade, now they're paying 6.4 million for 6 years and he's not even good.

I think Oiler fans are infatuated with the Gibson of 2017 who stonewalled them in the 2nd round and was consistently putting up .920+ save% year in year out. I don't know if that Gibson exists anymore.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the Oilers could offer

EDM 1st '21
Yamamoto
Koskinen

for

Gibson @500k retained

If the ask is much higher than that I think you move on and target MAF for less. Because in that case you can get MAF for a 2nd probably, and then still have the 1st and Yamamoto as trade assets for even more upgrades, so you have to weigh the pros/cons both ways.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I honestly question if its a wise move. It'd be a disaster if Edmonton paid a heavy price for a goalie upgrade and then Gibson stinks it out with a .905 save% 3GAA again. They'd be double screwed because not only did their goaltending actually downgrade, now they're paying 6.4 million for 6 years and he's not even good.

I think Oiler fans are infatuated with the Gibson of 2017 who stonewalled them in the 2nd round and was consistently putting up .920+ save% year in year out. I don't know if that Gibson exists anymore.

idk watch him, there is a reason why duck fans are mostly against trading him

Reactions: go4hockey

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
idk watch him, there is a reason why duck fans are mostly against trading him
I've actually watched a decent amount of Gibson over the past couple years since he's been in the divisions of the teams I root for.

I get it, his talent is obvious and he'll still make some really nice high end saves but on the flip side I've seen him allow multiple real stinkers that any NHL goalie should have had. Not having that consistency of a Hellebuyck, Lehner, Vasy, Shesterkin (lately) is what is keeping him out of the elite echelon of goalies. Obviously all goalies will have some bad games, but they seem to be a bit more frequent for Gibson these days than you'd hope.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I've actually watched a decent amount of Gibson over the past couple years since he's been in the divisions of the teams I root for.

I get it, his talent is obvious and he'll still make some really nice high end saves but on the flip side I've seen him allow multiple real stinkers that any NHL goalie should have had. Not having that consistency of a Hellebuyck, Lehner, Vasy, Shesterkin (lately) is what is keeping him out of the elite echelon of goalies. Obviously all goalies will have some bad games, but they seem to be a bit more frequent for Gibson these days than you'd hope.
Well I’ll stick to what I’ve always said and it seems even more true now after some interviews in the off-season.

gibson is not a very good loser, when the team is bad around him his body language gets worse, I feel like he over thinks the game cause the last couple years if he gave up 2 goals there was little to no chance Anaheim was going to score that many, add that to the ridiculous defensive breakdowns leaving him stranded and he kinda just gave the vibe he went into cruise mode.

Now I’m not gunna argue if that’s good or not, it’s def not good for a bad team…. But for a good team it should be irrelevant. I also don’t really think Anaheim should move him unless we’re clearly winning the deal as he’s in his prime and the ducks seem a lot closer to being competitive than maybe everyone thought in preseason.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think the Oilers could offer

EDM 1st '21
Yamamoto
Koskinen

for

Gibson @500k retained

If the ask is much higher than that I think you move on and target MAF for less. Because in that case you can get MAF for a 2nd probably, and then still have the 1st and Yamamoto as trade assets for even more upgrades, so you have to weigh the pros/cons both ways.

Ducks arent going to retain on a deal that has 5 years left on it but I think that’s a workable deal without the retention, maybe Oilers throw in a mid level prospect like Niemelainen, Kemp, Safin.

I don’t view Koskine as a cap dump even though some do. But those people would also probably say the Oilers D sucks. Then you’d say well Koskinen must be a good goalie if he’s putting up .920+ behind a team that is so terrible defensively.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I like Bucci but he is off on this one.. I don't think the Pens have anything in value to give. Maybe Gibson returning home is the thought here but again other teams have better packages to offer.

Bucci Mane (@Buccigross) Tweeted:
The @Penguins need to trade for John Gibson last Thursday.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I like Bucci but he is off on this one.. I don't think the Pens have anything in value to give. Maybe Gibson returning home is the thought here but again other teams have better packages to offer.

I just don’t know what penguins could really offer without taking from the roster…. I know they prob want another chance or 2 with Crosby and malkin

Oct 18, 2011
No thanks, the Ducks have made improvements this year which should help prevent Gibson from wearing down. There's no reason to move him unless premium assets are coming back

Reactions: wraparound

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

It would have to be a 3 way trade. I can’t see the Ducks trading Gibson where the best piece coming back may be the 32nd overall pick.

There has to be a centerpiece prospect.

Reactions: Trojans86

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
No thanks, the Ducks have made improvements this year which should help prevent Gibson from wearing down. There's no reason to move him unless premium assets are coming back

Yeah if they didn't trade him during the futility of the last two seasons, why move him now when the team is starting to come together? It would be a giant step backwards.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Gibson makes the oilers a cup contender for the next 5 years, but given its a trade with in the division oilers will have to most likely overpay.

Guess we wait and see of Holland pulls the trigger

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

Sounds like Martin Jones situation. Flyers we’re lambasted for signing him but he has been really good so far. Flyers d isn’t great by any means but sometimes a change helps if the skills are still there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad