Value of: John Gibson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This topic has. In different threads mostly.

I agree that the Oilers need to go for Gibson, I just don't see how they can do it with their cap situation. It's not like Anaheim is about to retain on Gibson, and the cap isn't going to go up enough to cover the cost increase from Koskinen to Gibson, plus the raises we will have coming for Pulujarvi and Yamamoto. I still stand by my previous offer of our 2022 1st, any prospect outside of Holloway and Broberg (our last 1st rounder Bourgault maybe, as much as that hurts given his performance in the Q to start the season), 2023 2nd and Koskinen. That's two firsts, a 2nd, and a stop gap goalie to play out the year. I don't know if Holland would pay that price, but if he would, and Anaheim has any desire to trade Gibson at all, they should really think about that offer.
So
Bourgault, koskinen, 1st, 2nd for gibson?

I could get behind that

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Has this turned into a classic Oilers and Ducks pissing contest yet?

In all seriousness, he'd be an unreal addition for the Oilers. 1st rounder + picks + prospects + roster players (to make the salary work) outside of the core group of guys should all be potentially on the table. The time is right now for the Oilers to be going all in. They have one of the fastest and most talented teams in the league with their two stars in their prime right now along with really strong depth up front that they've never had in the McDrai era.

The Oilers are in win now mode and the path through the West is theirs for the taking if they can shore up their starting goalie and maybe another depth addition on the blueline around the TDL.
As much as I dislike the oilers, it is time for them to go for it

Reactions: snipes

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
This topic has. In different threads mostly.

I agree that the Oilers need to go for Gibson, I just don't see how they can do it with their cap situation. It's not like Anaheim is about to retain on Gibson, and the cap isn't going to go up enough to cover the cost increase from Koskinen to Gibson, plus the raises we will have coming for Pulujarvi and Yamamoto. I still stand by my previous offer of our 2022 1st, any prospect outside of Holloway and Broberg (our last 1st rounder Bourgault maybe, as much as that hurts given his performance in the Q to start the season), 2023 2nd and Koskinen. That's two firsts, a 2nd, and a stop gap goalie to play out the year. I don't know if Holland would pay that price, but if he would, and Anaheim has any desire to trade Gibson at all, they should really think about that offer.

I just don't see the Ducks trading Gibson without a centerpiece prospect coming back.
2022 1st + Holloway + Koskinen I think is totally fair. I'm not a Broberg fan so no interest there.

Just to be clear Koskinen has zero value even as a stopgap. The Ducks have a capable stopgap already and if they trade Gibson the expectation is not making the playoffs so below par goaltending would not be an issue.

Reactions: duckpuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I just don't see the Ducks trading Gibson without a centerpiece prospect coming back.
2022 1st + Holloway + Koskinen I think is totally fair. I'm not a Broberg fan so no interest there.

Just to be clear Koskinen has zero value even as a stopgap. The Ducks have a capable stopgap already and if they trade Gibson the expectation is not making the playoffs so below par goaltending would not be an issue.
I actually think bourgaults is a center piece prospect , and even if you disagree he did add the 2nd to make up the difference

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I actually think bourgaults is a center piece prospect , and even if you disagree he did add the 2nd to make up the difference

I agree and I think that's just a preference thing, someone else said they don't like Broberg but from the outside looking in either guy is a good start as a 'centerpiece' for a trade.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Bourgault is so silky, he'd be difficult to give up. He's shredding the Q right now. Him and Zegras would be unreal together and might be a move we would regret.

However, I am more of the view that the Oilers need to go all in now and Gibson backstopping the Oilers makes them legitimate SCF contenders from the West as painful as it would be to lose a blue chip prospect like Bourgault.

Making the salary work for both side is the slightly trickier part. I guess with Koskinen going back retention likely isn't needed but that puts things really tight with the cap.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
If the isles would do it and Varlamov would accept the move I would offer Koskinen, Benson and the 2022-1st.

In my eyes it would make sense. Sorokin has proven he can take bulk of the starts and be just as good as Varlamov. Isles get 5 mil of cap to play with, a few b level prospects and a 1st rounder. I like it

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
For those complaining that Ducks fans overvalue Gibson we need to give them a bit more credit. To be fair, they overvalue every player of theirs.
Still coping I see. You ended up getting a lowly future 2c for your franchise player. Seethe

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
For those complaining that Ducks fans overvalue Gibson we need to give them a bit more credit. To be fair, they overvalue every player of theirs.

No we don't overvalue every player of ours. Just because compared to other teams fans our view is higher on some players doesn't mean they are overvalued. I could easily say Ducks players tend to get undervalued from others if anything.

Every teams fans over value some of their players that just is the way it is. Who is over valued from teams fans and who isn't is the question.

Some people acted like Gibson wasn't that good because his numbers took a hit when our blueline was suffering from a lot of injuries so I would say he had been undervalued

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

I can get onboard with that, but I would prefer if the 2nd had a condition to be a 1st if they make the WCF in the next 2 years or something.

I prefer Holloway over Bourgault + 2nd though.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Bourgault is a centerpiece prospect.

Koskinen is only included to make the cap work. He may hold no value to you but he doesn't have negative value either.

Reactions: Mr Positive

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I can get onboard with that, but I would prefer if the 2nd had a condition to be a 1st if they make the WCF in the next 2 years or something.

Holloway isn't available. He will be on the NHL roster before the season is out most likely.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Holloway def further along but bourgault looks pretty good so far…. I don’t like the idea of moving gibson much… but I think in terms of value either combo seems fair

Reactions: snipes

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
What would his trade value be right now if the Ducks were willing to trade him? Asking as a Caps fan. Samsonov/Vanecek are not anywhere near #1 goalies and the Caps are gonna need one soon with all the injuries piling up.

From my standpoint, I would be willing to trade Samsonov($2 million and will still be a RFA after the season) + 1st + a player with contract(like a healthy Mantha($5.7 million for another 3 years).

That Mantha trade is looking downright puke for a team not named the Redwings. Duck fans want a boatload for Gibson. I don't see them liking this since the ask from Edmonton was 2 of Bouchard, Broberg, Holloway and they still wanted us to add.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That Mantha trade is looking downright puke for a team not named the Redwings. Duck fans want a boatload for Gibson. I don't see them liking this since the ask from Edmonton was 2 of Bouchard, Broberg, Holloway and they still wanted us to add.
Not even sure I’ve seen anyone suggest 2 of those pieces.

Usually it’s 1 of those + 1st + koskinen

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
One bad trade doesn't re-set the goalie market. Nobody is as desperate as Sakic was then. He had no goalie at all, only Kuemper was left, and there was a bidding war. No teams who are looking to trade for a goalie right now are as desperate as Sakic was then, it doesn't look like there is a bidding war for Gibson either. Arizona rolled Sakic over on that deal. I understand that everyone wants their team to win every trade in a landslide, but it doesn't happen that often.

I expect Anaheim will hold on to Gibson. I don't think there will be enough interest to hit the value they will want, and that's fair enough. I do still think Edmonton makes an offer for him by the end of the year, even if they can't agree on value.

At some point, another team will be as desperate as Sakic. Probably more. And the beautiful thing is the ducks can just wait. No need or real desire to trade Gibson.

I don’t see how Gibson returns a top flight prospect. When was the last time a goalie did that?

Timmons was traded - I think he was highly regarded though not elite. The reality is there are not many goalie trades, so its a reasonable point.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
At some point, another team will be as desperate as Sakic. Probably more. And the beautiful thing is the ducks can just wait. No need or real desire to trade Gibson.

Timmons was traded - I think he was highly regarded though not elite. The reality is there are not many goalie trades, so its a reasonable point.

Definitely not.

Certainly not compared to Byram/Newhook anyway. Which was suggested in this thread as the return from the Avs.

That said. As an Avs fan I'd probably move Newhook+ for Gibson.

Assuming we are able to get a 2C elsewhere at least. Likely by using Sam Girard in a trade.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It was from a recent thread, can't remember the poster or full deal but it didn't make sense for us.
Meh there’s always 1 poster like that, I’ve seen oilers fans suggest koskinen + 2nd + benson get it done cause “ koskinen is almost as good as Gibson”

I think majority of duck fans would be comfortable with
1st + good prospect + capdump/place holder

1st koskinen Holloway
1st koskinen bourgault + conditional pick based on oilers playoffs

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Definitely not.

Certainly not compared to Byram/Newhook anyway. Which was suggested in this thread as the return from the Avs.

That said. As an Avs fan I'd probably move Newhook+ for Gibson.

Assuming we are able to get a 2C elsewhere at least. Likely by using Sam Girard in a trade.
To be fair in off-season there was a lot of avs fans that preferred moving byram over newhook as they wanted to keep newhook as 2c potentially, obviously now you don’t move byram

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad