Value of: John Gibson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I so trust Avs fans evalution of Gibson after they all said Grubauer was better while he was their goalie and I called them out on it now... Now they are anti gibson. They would have a cup if they traded for Gibson previously. Oh well.

Last edited:

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I so trust Avs fans evalution of Gibson after they all said Grubauer was better while he was their goalie and I called them out on it now... Now they are anti gibson. They would have a cup if they traded for Gibson previously. Oh well.

Not only that, but they ended up panic trading a 2022 first-round pick, a 2024 conditional third-round pick and a good prospect in Conor Timmins for one year of Kuemper.

People in this thread arguing about Gibson's value seem to be overlooking that trade.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not only that, but they ended up panic trading a 2022 first-round pick, a 2024 conditional third-round pick and a good prospect in Conor Timmins for one year of Kuemper.

People in this thread arguing about Gibson's value seem to be overlooking that trade.
One bad trade doesn't re-set the goalie market. Nobody is as desperate as Sakic was then. He had no goalie at all, only Kuemper was left, and there was a bidding war. No teams who are looking to trade for a goalie right now are as desperate as Sakic was then, it doesn't look like there is a bidding war for Gibson either. Arizona rolled Sakic over on that deal. I understand that everyone wants their team to win every trade in a landslide, but it doesn't happen that often.

I expect Anaheim will hold on to Gibson. I don't think there will be enough interest to hit the value they will want, and that's fair enough. I do still think Edmonton makes an offer for him by the end of the year, even if they can't agree on value.

Last edited:

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
What would his trade value be right now if the Ducks were willing to trade him? Asking as a Caps fan. Samsonov/Vanecek are not anywhere near #1 goalies and the Caps are gonna need one soon with all the injuries piling up.

From my standpoint, I would be willing to trade Samsonov($2 million and will still be a RFA after the season) + 1st + a player with contract(like a healthy Mantha($5.7 million for another 3 years).
the teams that can fit in the cap, cant use him ...the teams that can use him cant fit him under the cap

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
A lot of teams' goalies are their Achilles heel come playoffs.

I don't expect Anaheim to be winning a cup anytime soon, but if they were in that position, I wouldn't be worried about having Gibson as a starter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
For those complaining that Ducks fans overvalue Gibson we need to give them a bit more credit. To be fair, they overvalue every player of theirs.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
What would his trade value be right now if the Ducks were willing to trade him? Asking as a Caps fan. Samsonov/Vanecek are not anywhere near #1 goalies and the Caps are gonna need one soon with all the injuries piling up.

From my standpoint, I would be willing to trade Samsonov($2 million and will still be a RFA after the season) + 1st + a player with contract(like a healthy Mantha($5.7 million for another 3 years).

Would you be interested in Varlamov?

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Ducks were, (are?) a goaltending factory.
Trade him for nothing and develop a new one. It's easy!

Giggy
Bryzgolov
Hiller
Andersen
Gibson

They do know how to pick/develop them.

For those complaining that Ducks fans overvalue Gibson we need to give them a bit more credit. To be fair, they overvalue every player of theirs.

Funny coming from a Buffalo fan. Zegras+ Drysdale + 3rd overall for Eichel amiright?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Anyone remember when zach47 thought Eichel was going to get Zegras + Comtois + 3rd overall + dostal?

And the reality is... .we have no incentive to trade Gibson... we think hes a good goalie... and hes still in his prime.

I also dont think the duck fans ask is that rediculous

Buffalo: Krebs/Quinn + 1st
Carolina: Jarvis/Suzuki + 1st
Colorado: Newhok/Byram+ 1st
Oilers: Holloway/Broberg + 1st

has generally been the idea, with a cap dump/replacement goalie being part of the deal... if teams think thats too much then they prob dont really want Gibson.

Before Avs fans get crazy... that was basically the price discussed in offseason before byram played any games this year.

Last edited:

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

Not all Avs fans are down on Gibson, I would undoubtedly pay Keumper+ for Gibson. Keumper can be used as a trade chip to a team like Edmonton in addition to the assets paid from the Avs.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Not all Avs fans are down on Gibson, I would undoubtedly pay Keumper+ for Gibson. Keumper can be used as a trade chip to a team like Edmonton in addition to the assets paid from the Avs.
That would be kinda a rough turn around

Timmins + 1st + 3rd for keumper

then Keumper + whatever for gibson....

youd essentially trade 2 1sts, 2 pretty good prospects and possible 3rd + other asset.... to get gibson

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Lol hilarious coming from you.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Has this turned into a classic Oilers and Ducks pissing contest yet?

In all seriousness, he'd be an unreal addition for the Oilers. 1st rounder + picks + prospects + roster players (to make the salary work) outside of the core group of guys should all be potentially on the table. The time is right now for the Oilers to be going all in. They have one of the fastest and most talented teams in the league with their two stars in their prime right now along with really strong depth up front that they've never had in the McDrai era.

The Oilers are in win now mode and the path through the West is theirs for the taking if they can shore up their starting goalie and maybe another depth addition on the blueline around the TDL.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Has this turned into a classic Oilers and Ducks pissing contest yet?

In all seriousness, he'd be an unreal addition for the Oilers. 1st rounder + picks + prospects + roster players (to make the salary work) outside of the core group of guys should all be potentially on the table. The time is right now for the Oilers to be going all in. They have one of the fastest and most talented teams in the league with their two starts in their prime right now.

The Oilers are in win now mode and the path through the West is theirs for the taking if they can shore up their starting goalie and maybe another depth addition on the blueline around the TDL.

This topic has. In different threads mostly.

I agree that the Oilers need to go for Gibson, I just don't see how they can do it with their cap situation. It's not like Anaheim is about to retain on Gibson, and the cap isn't going to go up enough to cover the cost increase from Koskinen to Gibson, plus the raises we will have coming for Pulujarvi and Yamamoto. I still stand by my previous offer of our 2022 1st, any prospect outside of Holloway and Broberg (our last 1st rounder Bourgault maybe, as much as that hurts given his performance in the Q to start the season), 2023 2nd and Koskinen. That's two firsts, a 2nd, and a stop gap goalie to play out the year. I don't know if Holland would pay that price, but if he would, and Anaheim has any desire to trade Gibson at all, they should really think about that offer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad