Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I'd give my eye teeth to be a fringe playoff team. Fringe playoff teams with a streak of hot goaltending (something Pavs is known for) and a little bit of luck can win a round or two. Everybody--fans and players alike--would benefit from that experience.
There is plenty of time to make the magical trade. More than likely we won't do anything more than 'fringe' trades before the deadline, then do some serious work in the off season.
That'd be fine with me.

Yup

Once the young guys like Scheifele, Kane, Trouba and Bogosian get a feel of the playoffs, it will really help them and show them what they are fighting for.

I'm confident enough with our team and prospects that we don't NEED top 10 picks at this stage of the team development, that I would take a sweep in round 1 over a top 10 pick

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
We certainly cannot complain about injuries this year:

BgDW91OIgAAUXIM.jpg:large

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'd give my eye teeth to be a fringe playoff team. Fringe playoff teams with a streak of hot goaltending (something Pavs is known for) and a little bit of luck can win a round or two. Everybody--fans and players alike--would benefit from that experience.
There is plenty of time to make the magical trade. More than likely we won't do anything more than 'fringe' trades before the deadline, then do some serious work in the off season.
That'd be fine with me.

We are a fringe playoff team. We have a young core and the ability to build something. We should continue on that path. Jokinen, Setoguchi and Stuart should be traded if the opportunity presents itself. Settle for the occasional playoff year if you'd like. I see the opportunity for more.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Colorado and NY Islanders are the teams to focus on trading with, IMO. They have a lot of Cap space and I get the impression the Islanders are still trying to compete for playoffs.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
We are a fringe playoff team. We have a young core and the ability to build something. We should continue on that path. Jokinen, Setoguchi and Stuart should be traded if the opportunity presents itself. Settle for the occasional playoff year if you'd like. I see the opportunity for more.

So the 15th pick and a berth in the playoffs is worth less, in your opinion, than say, the 12th pick and missing the playoffs? Preposterous!

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I think Boston would benefit the most from Byfuglien, but I can't build an attractive return. I also like Pitt as a destination, targeting Bennett and a couple of young LHD (Despres, Harrington).
You've misread my (and others') posts if you think those who disagree with you aren't thinking long-term.
Would I trade Seto for a second rounder or Jokinen for a first at this point? Probably, but only because I see their current value to the team as pretty low. But I sure wouldn't trade them for scraps.
Would I trade Buff, Ladd or another key piece for futures when we are on the verge of the playoffs? Not a chance.
That's what the off season is for.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Colorado and NY Islanders are the teams to focus on trading with, IMO. They have a lot of Cap space and I get the impression the Islanders are still trying to compete for playoffs.

NYI started the firesale last week sending Regin & PMB to Chicago. They tried to dump Vanek before the freeze. They know they won't make the playoffs

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
So the 15th pick and a berth in the playoffs is worth less, in your opinion, than say, the 12th pick and missing the playoffs? Preposterous!

This makes it sound like playoffs are guaranteed if there is no trade.

Also, wouldn't there added assets coming back via trade?

Also, why does it have to be either / or?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Do you think we could get Tanner Pearson back for Devin Seoguchi? Guchi has history with both Lombardi and Sutter, and the Kings need secondary scoring. Of all the UFAs we have, he seems like the most expendable, and the most redeemable, as we sacrificed some of the future for him. Being so close to the playoffs, I'd hate to lose Stuart or Jokinen, as these guys play significant roles, and their losses would ensure that we come out short again. I think we could add a filler for Gooch's role, if Pearson can not step right in (or Lowry?). Our 3rd line is not relied on for scoring, outside of Buff's PP utility, as our top 6 is solid. We have some solid 4th line soldiers, probably too many if healthy.

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Do you think we could get Tanner Pearson back for Devin Seoguchi? Guchi has history with both Lombardi and Sutter, and the Kings need secondary scoring. Of all the UFAs we have, he seems like the most expendable, and the most redeemable, as we sacrificed some of the future for him. Being so close to the playoffs, I'd hate to lose Stuart or Jokinen, as these guys play significant roles, and their losses would ensure that we come out short again. I think we could add a filler for Gooch's role, if Pearson can not step right in (or Lowry?). Our 3rd line is not relied on for scoring, outside of Buff's PP utility, as our top 6 is solid. We have some solid 4th line soldiers, probably too many if healthy.

I've never seen Pearson play with the Kings. How did he look like?

He's not really projected to be a career NHL player, right?

If I'm wrong I'd like that deal. Pearson is a very good friend of Scheifele, too. They've been best buds playing in Barrie.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I'm personally having a hard time guessing what Seto's value might be. We paid a 2nd for him but he had a better season last year. But do GM's go a little nuts and lose their minds at TD time? Sometimes I guess. Seto does have some league cred I would guess, and maybe there is a GM who thinks that Seto would fit in and bring some scoring punch?

As for a potential Pearson deal, I really don't know. He's had two pretty decent seasons in the AHL as a 20 and 21 year old. They did draft him at the end of a first round as well.

I can say that if we deal Seto and Olli, that would be the exact type I would prefer. I's rather a guy who could potentially help us out next year over a pick who's years away.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We certainly cannot complain about injuries this year:

BgDW91OIgAAUXIM.jpg:large

I didn't want to jinx it but I have felt for a while that we are doing ok as far as injuries go. allan5oh I am not sure I understand the Y Axis, should that not be man games lost or is this some form of a salary grid?

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Definitely salary. You can see Pekka Rinne's big ol' contract in there.

And while I'm willing to grant a degree of correlation between salary and role, that graph isn't going to give much weight to depth players (like Slater or Clitsome) or prospects. I believe Trouba was already a top four D when he went out for 17 games.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I'm personally having a hard time guessing what Seto's value might be. We paid a 2nd for him but he had a better season last year. But do GM's go a little nuts and lose their minds at TD time? Sometimes I guess. Seto does have some league cred I would guess, and maybe there is a GM who thinks that Seto would fit in and bring some scoring punch?

As for a potential Pearson deal, I really don't know. He's had two pretty decent seasons in the AHL as a 20 and 21 year old. They did draft him at the end of a first round as well.

I can say that if we deal Seto and Olli, that would be the exact type I would prefer. I's rather a guy who could potentially help us out next year over a pick who's years away.

I would love that kind of deal too, but I can't see the Kings moving Pearson for a player like Gooch. Tanner is a 1st round pick that has progressed well.

A player like Andy Andreoff would be much more attainable.

A) Not as good or as valuable as Pearson.
B) Waiver eligible next year.

If the King's don't think said player will make the team next year - and they may lost him to waivers they could consider a trade.

To be clear, I am not saying the Jets should persue a player like Andy A. I am not very familiar with his game, but he would likely be a more equitable return for rent-a-Gooch.

I believe Nicolas Deslaurier and Linden Vey will hit that same waiver crux a next season (don't beat me up if I am wrong HC), but they are less likely to be available.

There may be a scoopable piece somewhere though. Somebody that would make next year's Jets, but perhaps not make the Bruins, Hawks, Kings or Pens or whoever else.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I would love that kind of deal too, but I can't see the Kings moving Pearson for a player like Gooch. Tanner is a 1st round pick that has progressed well.

A player like Andy Andreoff would be much more attainable.

A) Not as good or as valuable as Pearson.
B) Waiver eligible next year.

If the King's don't think said player will make the team next year - and they may lost him to waivers they could consider a trade.

To be clear, I am not saying the Jets should persue a player like Andy A. I am not very familiar with his game, but he would likely be a more equitable return for rent-a-Gooch.

I believe Nicolas Deslaurier and Linden Vey will hit that same waiver crux a next season (don't beat me up if I am wrong HC), but they are less likely to be available.

There may be a scoopable piece somewhere though. Somebody that would make next year's Jets, but perhaps not make the Bruins, Hawks, Kings or Pens or whoever else.

Agreed. I do like the idea of getting a player back over a mid pick at this stage.

The crux would be that the Jets have to have an idea that he could help (most likely the bottom 6) next year. The risk is that if he has no waiver exemption left (and hence why he may be available from the original team), and then doesn't make the Jets, the Jets may essentially end up with nothing if they try to send him down and he gets claimed.

Deslaurier and Vey both sound pretty good as well. Shore as well. I'd be happy with any of that too. (Unless Holden comes in and pours cold water everywhere.... ;) )

Last edited:

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
NYI started the firesale last week sending Regin & PMB to Chicago. They tried to dump Vanek before the freeze. They know they won't make the playoffs

Disagree. They have a Cap floor to maintain too. It's just my guess, but I bet it's a prelude for another move. Ryan Miller?

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I didn't want to jinx it but I have felt for a while that we are doing ok as far as injuries go. allan5oh I am not sure I understand the Y Axis, should that not be man games lost or is this some form of a salary grid?

I'm not sure eithermaybe average salary lost?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB

It's CHIP (Cap Hit of Injured Players).

Games missed * cap hit / 82

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad