Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Didn't O'Dell have something similar?

Not the stroke, but the hole in the heart?

Hope Letang gets well soon.

Yes he did. That's incredible because it can affect cardio, and Letang isn't exactly a slouch. He could possibly be even more #beastmode when he gets back.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Yes he did. That's incredible because it can affect cardio, and Letang isn't exactly a slouch. He could possibly be even more #beastmode when he gets back.

Stroke is a bit misleading. I have the same condition, Pan Foreman Ovale, and also had a trans ischemic attack (TIA). The problem is the blood thinners make any physical trauma very dangerous for severe bleeding/bruising and makes contact quite painful causing severe swelling. He is in for some life changing issues. #feelbadlyforhim

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Eliborate .

elaborate or liberate? is this a pun or a request?

Pittsburg's been looking for a top six winger. Now they need an offensive RHD. Buff can be both, and is signed for two more years, which aligns with Pens' preference.

edit: pure speculation on my part

Wpg Jets Fan

Aug 13, 2008
Wild West
elaborate or liberate? is this a pun or a request?

Pittsburg's been looking for a top six winger. Now they need an offensive RHD. Buff can be both, and is signed for two more years, which aligns with Pens' preference.

edit: pure speculation on my part

I was curious if you had any concrete info on a possible trade. That is all. Just wasn't sure if it was speculate in you part or not. I'll admit I was searching all over twitter once I read you comment, lol.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I was curious if you had any concrete info on a possible trade. That is all. Just wasn't sure if it was speculate in you part or not. I'll admit I was searching all over twitter once I read you comment, lol.

that was a pretty bad "post and run" on my part. :D

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
While Pittsburgh might be interested in Buff, it's really hard to make the salaries work. The closest I could come up with was us retaining 50% of Buff's salary in exchange for Maatta, Niskanen and Pyatt. I can't see Pitt giving up three roster players, and I can't see us giving up Buff for two UFA's. Maybe if Pitt was able to do a sign and trade and we threw in a strong prospect, but I'm just not sure there is a deal to be made.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
While Pittsburgh might be interested in Buff, it's really hard to make the salaries work. The closest I could come up with was us retaining 50% of Buff's salary in exchange for Maatta, Niskanen and Pyatt. I can't see Pitt giving up three roster players, and I can't see us giving up Buff for two UFA's. Maybe if Pitt was able to do a sign and trade and we threw in a strong prospect, but I'm just not sure there is a deal to be made.

Just a heads up, Pitt wouldn't trade Maata for Buff straight up, let alone adding.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Just a heads up, Pitt wouldn't trade Maata for Buff straight up, let alone adding.

I agree...I was just trying to show the difficulty of making the salaries work...I have no doubt they would say no; as would we, I think.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
I'm not so sure. While Maatta looks good, there is no guarantee he will be a top pair d-man. Pyatt is salary dump and nothing more. Niskanen would be a nice add, but he's a UFA. You're only guaranteed Buff for Maatta straight up, plus you have to swallow half of Buff's salary for two years. That's not a slam dunk for a budget team like the Jets, I think.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not so sure. While Maatta looks good, there is no guarantee he will be a top pair d-man. Pyatt is salary dump and nothing more. Niskanen would be a nice add, but he's UFA. You're only guaranteed Buff for Maatta straight up, plus you have to swallow half of Buff's salary for two years. That's not a slam dunk for a budget tem like the Jets, I think.

Maatta currently>Buff as a third line winger.
Niskanen as a rental is nice, I'd try and re-sign him.
Pyatt, well you take the good with the bad.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
They wouldn't be taking him as a winger...they'd be taking him to replace Letang as a high-risk/high-reward offensive defenseman.

I would want to feel confident that Niskanen would resign before pulling the trigger.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
They wouldn't be taking him as a winger...they'd be taking him to replace Letang as a high-risk/high-reward offensive defenseman.

I would want to feel confident that Niskanen would resign before pulling the trigger.

I don't care if they take him as their team surgeon.
We'd be trading our 3rd line winger for one of the better D prospects in the league, and a very good rental.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I don't care if they take him as their team surgeon.
We'd be trading our 3rd line winger for one of the better D prospects in the league, and a very good rental.

your easily swayed. i wouldn't do that at all.

the fact that we're playing buff as our third line winger doesn't make it a good deal.

maata's nice, but the other two are near useless to us. add in retaining half of buffs salary and i'd want a significant piece on matta.

also keep in mind, the league (real gms/teams) don't value young players/prospects quite as highly as the fans on HF do.

I don't want to trade with pittsburgh simply because they seem to win a lot of trades (besides the murray acquisition)

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

the fact that we're playing buff as our third line winger doesn't make it a good deal.

maata's nice, but the other two are near useless to us. add in retaining half of buffs salary and i'd want a significant piece on matta.

also keep in mind, the league (real gms/teams) don't value young players/prospects quite as highly as the fans on HF do.

I don't want to trade with pittsburgh simply because they seem to win a lot of trades (besides the murray acquisition)

I'm of the belief that Buff is a depreciating asset.
If we could acquire a player (who I'm VERY high on) for Buff I'd do it.
Pens fans think of Maatta as their Trouba, except they think he's better :)shakehead :sarcasm:). I'd rather have Maatta than Brayden Schenn, which is a name batted around a lot.

Enstrom Trouba
Maatta Bogosian
Stuart Postma

Sign me up please.
Also the retained salary isn't as bad as it seems because Maatta is on a nice ELC.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

If I was Chevy, I'd be calling Garth Snow EVERY DAY! :)

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Exactly.

If I buy a Ferrari, and I don't know how to drive standard, (I do, though) it doesn't change the resale value of the car just because I don't know how to use it. (unless I'm PHYSICALLY damaging it)

Buff is still the defenseman he was 2 months ago, and his value is as such, regardless of where the coach has put him for the last 3 weeks.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Exactly.

If I buy a Ferrari, and I don't know how to drive standard, (I do, though) it doesn't change the resale value of the car just because I don't know how to use it. (unless I'm PHYSICALLY damaging it)

Buff is still the defenseman he was 2 months ago, and his value is as such, regardless of where the coach has put him for the last 3 weeks.

The value of the vehicle doesn't change, but the value and utility to the owner does.

I would trade Buff the D-man for that package.
My point is that at this point we've essentially traded Buff the D-man for Buff the third line winger (except on the powerplay). If he's going to be a winger for this team, and its such a need, why don't we trade him for a far better winger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad