Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Joni Pitkanen - do not want. He will instantly be the whipping boy on this team. Gigantic but soft as a marshmallow. No way he's a TN type player.

Keep in mind this is from a guy who OWNS a Pitkanen jersey :laugh:

Soft or not, I would hope the Jets consider anybody who could make the team better. Plus, the Jets need a #4 Left D and it isn't like there will be a glut of quality LD on the market - especially if they want to stay young-ish. Andrej Meszaros, Andre Benoit, Kyle Quincey and Nikita Nikitin likely top the list.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Pittsburg has four top LHD prospects in Despres, Dumoulin, Harrington and Pouliot. That's behind Maatta on the left side too. Despres is 6'4", moves nicely, but seems to be out of favour. Think I'd like Harrington out of the group, but Despres may come cheapest. We need someone who can slot in long term behind Toby, if they won't put Buff back there.

Pittsburg with all those LHDs definitely has the makings of a good trading partner. Many of the fanposts seem to indicate an interest in Stuart and/or Gooch - makings of a great trade for either Harrington or Degres there

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Pittsburg has four top LHD prospects in Despres, Dumoulin, Harrington and Pouliot. That's behind Maatta on the left side too. Despres is 6'4", moves nicely, but seems to be out of favour. Think I'd like Harrington out of the group, but Despres may come cheapest. We need someone who can slot in long term behind Toby, if they won't put Buff back there.

I'd be all over Gormely if we could get him for the right price.

Pittsburg's LHD prospects definitely fit the bill. I would also love to see Gormely as a LHD in our system. With OEL being a lock on the left, and Yandle with 2 more years on his deal, have to wonder where he fits. Maybe on the 3rd pair until Yandle moves on?

Another team and situation that comes to mind is Chicago with Pirri and Morin.

Despres, Dumoulin, Harrington, Gormley
Pirri, Morin, Connolly

The reason I was thinking about this is I like when Chevy was asked last year if he was a buyer or a seller and he answered "yes". If the Jets do indeed decide to move on from a UFA or two this TD, I would love to see them try to target some more NHL ready prospects in the above (and others), as opposed to focusing on picks. Most of the above would help us as soon as next season.

stimpsoncat

Jan 5, 2014
Hey everyone, first post here. Mention of Gormley interests me, realistically what is his value? Phoenix is apparently looking for a scoring forward. Gormley really needs a shot, would love to see him in Winnipeg.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Pittsburg's LHD prospects definitely fit the bill. I would also love to see Gormely as a LHD in our system. With OEL being a lock on the left, and Yandle with 2 more years on his deal, have to wonder where he fits. Maybe on the 3rd pair until Yandle moves on?

Pirri, Morin, Connolly

The reason I was thinking about this is I like when Chevy was asked last year if he was a buyer or a seller and he answered "yes". If the Jets do indeed decide to move on from a UFA or two this TD, I would love to see them try to target some more NHL ready prospects in the above (and others), as opposed to focusing on picks. Most of the above would help us as soon as next season.

I like Despres. He's #4 on the LHD depth chart with Scuderi back. With lefties Dumoulin, Harrington, Samuelsson in the A, Despres might be had.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Soft or not, I would hope the Jets consider anybody who could make the team better. Plus, the Jets need a #4 Left D and it isn't like there will be a glut of quality LD on the market - especially if they want to stay young-ish. Andrej Meszaros, Andre Benoit, Kyle Quincey and Nikita Nikitin likely top the list.

Not saying it would be the same here, but he hated his time in Edmonton. It would be a bit of a risk.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

Pirri, Morin, Connolly

Can someone propose a trade with Pittsburg in the Trade Forum?? I'd really like to see their responses but as a "Rookie User" I can't propose a trade on there.

I know that many of their fans are keen on both Stuart & Gooch. Would something around those two guys, for Depres & a second make sense. They may counter with a third or another prospect, but I'd be real happy to get a quality LHD in a trade like that.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Can someone propose a trade with Pittsburg in the Trade Forum?? I'd really like to see their responses but as a "Rookie User" I can't propose a trade on there.

I know that many of their fans are keen on both Stuart & Gooch. Would something around those two guys, for Depres & a second make sense. They may counter with a third or another prospect, but I'd be real happy to get a quality LHD in a trade like that.

I don't know if it would be beneficial. They have a high value on Despres, and will all likely say no to something around Seto.

It would likely turn into them trying to get one of Kane, Ladd, or Wheeler before it even got to page 2.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I don't know if it would be beneficial. They have a high value on Despres, and will all likely say no to something around Seto.

It would likely turn into them trying to get one of Kane, Ladd, or Wheeler before it even got to page 2.

Yes that's usually the case. But every now and then there is a good thread like an ongoing one with tB http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1597465
where TB has proposed Stu-Gooch-Monty for Teddy Purcell+Anders Lindback+middling prospect/mid-round pick. Ladd did get thrown in there but it came back to a sensible discussion about the main players.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Hey guys, Pens fan here. I came here thinking we would make good trading partners and I see you guys think the same. Just curious if Ladd could possibly be had for the right price, and what that price would be. I was thinking something along the lines of Sutter, Pouliot, and our 1st.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Jokinen after this season, but Sutter would be a cheap solid option for your 3C. He will probably be looking for something around 2.5-3 per. Plus a blue chip prospect in Pouliot to possibly pair with Trouba moving forward, and a late 1st.

Thoughts?

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Hey guys, Pens fan here. I came here thinking we would make good trading partners and I see you guys think the same. Just curious if Ladd could possibly be had for the right price, and what that price would be. I was thinking something along the lines of Sutter, Pouliot, and our 1st.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Jokinen after this season, but Sutter would be a cheap solid option for your 3C. He will probably be looking for something around 2.5-3 per. Plus a blue chip prospect in Pouliot to possibly pair with Trouba moving forward, and a late 1st.

Thoughts?

I like the idea of getting Sutter to have a more long-term solution to our third line, but isn't Pouliot strikingly similar to Morrissey in terms of playstyle? Somebody with more knowledge could help me out here but if he really is closer to Morrissey I'd rather not give up our captain to get him.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

Thoughts?

I'm a big fan of Sutter, but asking for Ladd is asking for a lot.

Also not the biggest fan of Pouliot, definitely don't think he's "bluechip". He's definitely not bad, but his offensive game hasn't developed as far as I thought it would and his defensive game still doesn't impress me. I definitely think Morrissey is better than him as of this moment and is also 1 year younger.

Last edited:

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
I'm not too knowledgeable on Morrissey, maybe Despres would be a better fit? Not sure how that changes the value of the deal, guess it depends on how high you are on Despres.

Bennett could be added to the mix if there is a need, but we're very high on him so it would have to be the right deal.

Who would have a higher price tag, Ladd or Wheeler?

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I like the idea of getting Sutter to have a more long-term solution to our third line, but isn't Pouliot strikingly similar to Morrissey in terms of playstyle? Somebody with more knowledge could help me out here but if he really is closer to Morrissey I'd rather not give up our captain to get him.

Pouliot is like Morrisey except without one ounce of hockey sense. Has the natural skills but lacks the tool box. Often lost defensively, takes bad chances and hasn't sprung forward offensively due to that lack of hockey sense as well (depends too much on his skating). I literally LOLed when Pittsburgh took him #9 (I had him at #28). He is basically a less developed Paul Postma (and that's if he starts to figure the game out a little better even). Not interested in him at all, he is certainly no bluechip prospect.

Sutter isn't really a necessary piece either. Don't see much beyond a 3rd line C there myself. Late first is late first. Not an interesting package for Ladd, IMO.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011

I started a thread a while back. They're interested in Gooch, but mostly Ladd/Kane/Wheeler that interests them.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Pouliot is like Morrisey except without one ounce of hockey sense. Has the natural skills but lacks the tool box. Often lost defensively, takes bad chances and hasn't sprung forward offensively due to that lack of hockey sense as well (depends too much on his skating). I literally LOLed when Pittsburgh took him #9 (I had him at #28). He is basically a less developed Paul Postma (and that's if he starts to figure the game out a little better even). Not interested in him at all, he is certainly no bluechip prospect.

Sutter isn't really a necessary piece either. Don't see much beyond a 3rd line C there myself. Late first is late first. Not an interesting package for Ladd, IMO.

Haha, well you definitely don't hold back. :laugh:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Not as big of a fan as others of Pouliot myself, but I totally agree with you in regards to Sutter. I think Sutter has the benefit of being a Sutter in regards to how some people view him as he is nothing more than an average 3C IMO.

Something like the packaged offered would be something I would consider if this was Ladd's last season. Not interested considering we are trying to make the playoffs and Ladd has 2 more seasons left at a great cap hit. If Ladd is moved, we need higher end pieces and the only enticing one is Maata.

Not interested in moving Wheeler at all either.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@garylawless: smart hockey guy in #sochi said to me about recent #nhljets success, "this gives them a chance to make changes and get better." values r up

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I don't understand that tweet, does he mean trade values of our UFAs? I don't see Chevy selling if our success continues.

edit: I sent Lawless a DM (he follows me) for clarification.

jetkarma*

I don't understand that tweet, does he mean trade values of our UFAs? I don't see Chevy selling if our success continues.

edit: I sent Lawless a DM (he follows me) for clarification.

I think it means anyone on the main roster.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
@garylawless: smart hockey guy in #sochi said to me about recent #nhljets success, "this gives them a chance to make changes and get better." values r up

If Chevy can pull that off, he'll finally win me over.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It's hard to believe that NHL GM's are that dumb...I wouldn't have traded for player x 3 weeks ago, but he's played so well in the last 8 games, so now I'll be sure to hand over an asset for him.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It's hard to believe that NHL GM's are that dumb...I wouldn't have traded for player x 3 weeks ago, but he's played so well in the last 8 games, so now I'll be sure to hand over an asset for him.

Some GMs are that dumb though.

Or perhaps, they just needed proof that goals would come.

Not sure who fits this model though.

Gooch potted a couple, but Joker has been ice cold.

Perhaps Stu's increased minutes add confidence to a GM somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad