Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
What? Why?

It was speculated that Ottawa thought they and the Jets had a deal for Oduya. Chevy might have overstepped some old boys code or whatever and bailed last minute and dealt him to Chicago instead. Rumour was though that Murray was real pissed about it.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It was speculated that Ottawa thought they and the Jets had a deal for Oduya. Chevy might have overstepped some old boys code or whatever and bailed last minute and dealt him to Chicago instead. Rumour was though that Murray was real pissed about it.

I don't remember that. Where did this rumor come from?

bazaaa*

100%. Also people act as if 2nd/3rd round picks are nothing. These were the guys we acquire in 2nd round: Nic Petan and Eric Comrie. If Seto/Joki/Stuart were on another team would anyone here give up Petan and Comrie for them?

Let's a) wait until Comrie and Petan have an impact at the NHL level and b) not use rare instances where 2nd round picks turn into anything. As others have said, stats don't lie. I think it was Garrett or someone that said there's a 20% chance a second round pick turns into anything useful.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
@garylawless: Mark Stuart says he wants to stay with #nhljets beyond deadline and into the future

Meh Stuey isn't very good, but he plays like a warrior and is obviously a leader on this team. I wouldn't mind him back in a drastically reduced role at a cheap price i.e. 6/7/8/ and paid like one.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
According to Dreger, Callahan is asking the Rangers for something between $6.5 and $7 million.

How on earth does he think he's worth that? He hasn't even put up 30 goals in a season ever and is a whopping 3 time 20 goal scorer as a guy who tends to be a goal scorer, produces at less than .5 ppg in the playoffs. I don't care how many intangibles a guy has, that's a crazy ask. The cap isn't going up that much.

Setoguchi should ask for $5 million.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I really like Ryan Callahan, but he is being disturbingly overrated. He's encroaching on Clarkson territory.

He's good at what he's good at, but any team that pays him that floated figure of $6,500,000 to $7,000,000 has lost their marbles if it is for any modest or longer term.

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I'd love Callahan on the jets, but for that kind of cash? No way, NY would have to be crazy to do that.

For 4 million maybe? Could slot in somewhere in the top 6 and at the least on the 3rd. Would provide great leadership as well

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It isn't out of the norm for coaches to have GM bring in former players.

The Canes have long been linked to trade talks - not sure if anything works, but there could be a connection there.

Also, what do you guys think of Joni Pitkanen. Injuries have been a battle, but he will be a UFA, he is left handed and may be available on a steep discount.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

The Canes have long been linked to trade talks - not sure if anything works, but there could be a connection there.

Also, what do you guys think of Joni Pitkanen. Injuries have been a battle, but he will be a UFA, he is left handed and may be available on a steep discount.

If he can return, I wouldn't mind him on the team. Of course, it depends on how much this injury has affected him.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Let's a) wait until Comrie and Petan have an impact at the NHL level and b) not use rare instances where 2nd round picks turn into anything. As others have said, stats don't lie. I think it was Garrett or someone that said there's a 20% chance a second round pick turns into anything useful.

20% is just the average though, it's not the same for every team. It's not luck that teams like San Jose and Detroit are constantly picking NHL caliber players from outside the 1st round, and it's not a lack of luck that Edmonton and Vancouver have barely gotten any. If you have a good scouting team and put the proper funds into it, you're going to hit more than 20% in the second round.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012

Depending on the injuries it could be well worth a kick of the tires on a very short term deal.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

Joni Pitkanen - do not want. He will instantly be the whipping boy on this team. Gigantic but soft as a marshmallow. No way he's a TN type player.

Keep in mind this is from a guy who OWNS a Pitkanen jersey :laugh:

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

I've always liked him, but it feels like the guy can never finish a season.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
When Pitkanen got injured again earlier this year it was said he may have to retire. Not sure what the most recent is on him, but ya, big time injury prone.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Who are some of those players that are maybe in an organization where they play in a position of depth and need an opportunity / "may" be available?

Something like Despres, Connolly, possibly Gormley, etc.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Who are some of those players that are maybe in an organization where they play in a position of depth and need an opportunity / "may" be available?

Something like Despres, Connolly, possibly Gormley, etc.

Pittsburg has four top LHD prospects in Despres, Dumoulin, Harrington and Pouliot. That's behind Maatta on the left side too. Despres is 6'4", moves nicely, but seems to be out of favour. Think I'd like Harrington out of the group, but Despres may come cheapest. We need someone who can slot in long term behind Toby, if they won't put Buff back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad