Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I'm still on the same page as I've been for a while.

Stuart: if you can't extend him, then trade him for picks. I'm ok with keeping him though I'm not as enamored of him as many. His play of late has been much better, but I haven't forgotten large chunks of the season either. I think there's demand for him so let's exploit that if he doesn't re-sign.

Jokinen - Jeez, I just don't see it myself. Sure, he's played much better than last year and he's been helpful, but the chemistry on that third line is awful and that was before Buff went there. Now it's just expensive and awful. I think Jokinen brings in a decent return on picks. I'm ok with extending him at much lower salary if he signs before the deadline, otherwise trade him away. Offer to re-sign him in the off-season or just pursue him there but don't overpay. Respectfully speaking he's not a great face-off guy and he's not an assist generator. Love his character.

Setoguchi: keep him scoring but move him out. Hopefully he pots a couple more in the next week and we can return our 2nd rounder this year.

Really, I'm only concerned in getting value for expiring assets heading into UFA and that's those three. With the cap going up significantly next year I don't think there's any guarantee any of those guys will necessarily sign here.

We also have a glut of RHD so in the off-season (or in season if the return is good) we should move one or two of those guys. Buff, Postma, Ellerby, Redmond - any return that helps the team makes them expendable (well, Trouba made Buff expendable). I'm also happy with retaining them all if that suits the team best.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Stuart could be replaced by someone in the system without any dropoff in quality, give that spot to Redmond, Ellerby or Postma (or even Kichton if he's ready). I don't see him as indispensible. Jokinen is gonna be older and imo is replacable through free agency. If not O'Dell is waivers eligible next season and we need to see what we have in him so he can take over 3rd line C duties as far as I'm concerned.

I'm with you. Hanging onto rental type players because there's a 25% chance of making the playoffs is wrong. If we get a decent return for any of Stuart, Jokinen or Gooch (heck toss in THORBS for sure if someone gives us draft picks), makes sense to get what we can for them.

Even if we have a decent chance of making the playoffs, i don't see any one of those guys as essential to continuing our run. Its more critical IMO to fix our goalie problem and add some depth or draft picks rather than loosing playres for nothing.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm with you. Hanging onto rental type players because there's a 25% chance of making the playoffs is wrong. If we get a decent return for any of Stuart, Jokinen or Gooch (heck toss in THORBS for sure if someone gives us draft picks), makes sense to get what we can for them.

Even if we have a decent chance of making the playoffs, i don't see any one of those guys as essential to continuing our run. Its more critical IMO to fix our goalie problem and add some depth or draft picks rather than loosing playres for nothing.

Our 4th line is a bad 4th line. If we gut the 3rd line we have a bad 4th line as our 3rd line. That makes our 3rd liners essential if we want to make the playoffs, although I'd trade any of our pending UFA's for assets.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
This is something I've been thinking about for a while.

To TOR: Ondrej Pavelec
To WPG: James Reimer and David Clarkson

Both Pavelec and Clarkson are signed to bad contracts. The Jets take on a worse one than Pavelec but also get Reimer, who is an upcoming RFA.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets are very unlikely to make the playoffs. We should be realistic and do what's best for the team in the long term instead of chasing an extremely unrealistic pipe dream. Jokinen, Seto and Stuart should be moved at the deadline. Jokinen and Stuart's value is never going to be higher than it is right now

If the Jets sweep the road trip and/or end up down a couple of points from the playoffs before the trade deadline, then I expect that Chevy will try to hang on to vets for a playoff run.

I am actually more conflicted than last year about what the Jets should do. Last year, I thought that they should have traded vets (like Hainsey) at the deadline for picks / prospects. This year I was all for trading vets for picks / prospects, and would still favor that approach unless the Jets continue their run and get into legitimate contention. This team seems much more like a competitor than it did last year.

Still, I think they will be better off in the long run if they can pick up some picks / prospects for the pending UFAs (Jokinen, Stuart, Seto). If those players want to play in Wpg, then they can always re-sign them in the summer. If not, they were gone anyway.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I see the Jets signing Stuart to a new 2 year deal. He is obviously important and respected by team mates and staff.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Last season at the deadine the Sharks moved UFA's to be Ryan Clowe & Douglas Murray. Unusual move for a playoff team to reduce it's depth. It was in the best long term interest of the franchise though since they had no interest in re-signing those players. If we're not re-signing our UFA's I think Chevy needs to be just as forward looking at the deadline.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Last season at the deadine the Sharks moved UFA's to be Ryan Clowe & Douglas Murray. Unusual move for a playoff team to reduce it's depth. It was in the best long term interest of the franchise though since they had no interest in re-signing those players. If we're not re-signing our UFA's I think Chevy needs to be just as forward looking at the deadline.

This run we are on is fun but we have to keep our eye on the future.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011

That was actually addition by subtraction for the Sharks. Both players were holding the team back. The Sharks actually got better when they left. And a bonus they got extra picks out of the deal.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
That was actually addition by subtraction for the Sharks. Both players were holding the team back. The Sharks actually got better when they left. And a bonus they got extra picks out of the deal.

Kind of like Stuart and Joker?

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
This is something I've been thinking about for a while.

To TOR: Ondrej Pavelec
To WPG: James Reimer and David Clarkson

Both Pavelec and Clarkson are signed to bad contracts. The Jets take on a worse one than Pavelec but also get Reimer, who is an upcoming RFA.

Clarkson's contract is just so much worse than Pavelec's that I'd rather keep Pavelec and buy him out at a much cheaper rate.

The incentive of Reimer is nice, but looking at NHL trades - Reimer's value has been set around a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I don't think that value provides enough incentive to take on Calrkson's absolutely god awful contract.

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011
So Vanek reportedly wants to sign with Minnesota due to personal reason.

We're close enough, right? :sarcasm:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So Vanek reportedly wants to sign with Minnesota due to personal reason.

We're close enough, right? :sarcasm:

Yea he will be a rental this year for a playoff push then probably off to Minny next season. I know at first this looks bad for the Jets but realistically the Wild are running into a similar issue that Winnipeg has. Vanek will be very expensive and now the Wild will have away too much of their cap space tied up in an aging core: Suter 29, Parise 30 (this summer), Koivu 30, Vanek 30, and Pominville 31.

The Wild are kind of going about building their team in a weird way IMO.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Yea he will be a rental this year for a playoff push then probably off to Minny next season. I know at first this looks bad for the Jets but realistically the Wild are running into a similar issue that Winnipeg has. Vanek will be very expensive and now the Wild will have away too much of their cap space tied up in an aging core: Suter 29, Parise 30 (this summer), Koivu 30, Vanek 30, and Pominville 31.

The Wild are kind of going about building their team in a weird way IMO.

But, but, but they're getting high quality players that are from Minnesota and want to play close to home. And the best players in the world are from Minnesota (which btw is Canadian, they just don't know it yet) so this is the right way to build a team.

:sarcasm:

Some good players in that mix, no question. And I'd have liked to get Parise at least on the Jets. But I completely agree, it's an odd mix of very highly paid players that are going to be trending the wrong way in fairly short order.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
@garylawless: Mark Stuart says he wants to stay with #nhljets beyond deadline and into the future

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
@garylawless: Mark Stuart says he wants to stay with #nhljets beyond deadline and into the future

I always thought he'd re-sign easily - Jokinen as well. Setoguchi is the only guy who I don't think we'd retain nor do we seem to really want to.

I think it would be smart if Chevy still looked at trade options though. This time of the year there's always some teams willing to totally overpay for players like Stuart.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Still, I think they will be better off in the long run if they can pick up some picks / prospects for the pending UFAs (Jokinen, Stuart, Seto). If those players want to play in Wpg, then they can always re-sign them in the summer. If not, they were gone anyway.

100%. Also people act as if 2nd/3rd round picks are nothing. These were the guys we acquire in 2nd round: Nic Petan and Eric Comrie. If Seto/Joki/Stuart were on another team would anyone here give up Petan and Comrie for them?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
100%. Also people act as if 2nd/3rd round picks are nothing. These were the guys we acquire in 2nd round: Nic Petan and Eric Comrie. If Seto/Joki/Stuart were on another team would anyone here give up Petan and Comrie for them?

You might want to check out this franchise's entire 2nd round draft history...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad