Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
Would be ok with Buff myself, and previously had used ROR as an example of a guy if Kane was moved in the past, but that was under the assumption that Kane was wanting out. With Kane's play with Scheifele and Wheeler, I would be extremely hesitant on moving him unless he was really making waves internally.

I would love to get our hands on ROR if a trade around him and Buff was feasible.A line up looking like this going into next year would be amazing.

Kane/Scheif/Wheeler
Ladd/ROR/Little
Lowry/Burmi/Frolik
FA or trade/Slater/Halischuk,Thorburn

Burmi probably won't be back though and will probably be included in a trade in the near future.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Don't think we should expect Lowry up at the big club for a few years. I think the org wants to see how far he can develop as a C which is probably the right plan.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I would love to get our hands on ROR if a trade around him and Buff was feasible...

Agreed. I don't think Buff is the D man the Avs are looking for unfortunately. With JJ on the right, if ROR is moved for a D man I would assume they would want someone to play on the left.

ROR has also played well on the LW this year, and that gives the Avs good flexibility. Even if Stastny stays in Denver, there is a spot for ROR. It all depends on the $ I guess.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Send Ladd over there for ROR. Ladd is the first core guy I want to see traded, his play is making me sick, turnover central. His value will only drop very soon. Keep Little, Wheeler, Kane, Bogo as core guys, and eventually trade one of Enstrom or Buff and then you will see the transformation to the new Jets and that is what Im waiting for.
NotSureIfSerious.jpg

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Don't think we should expect Lowry up at the big club for a few years. I think the org wants to see how far he can develop as a C which is probably the right plan.

Agreed.

While we could use help in the short term, hopefully Chevy can address that for the short term via trades or free agency, also in the short term allowing for our prospects to develop with time. It sure seemed to work well with the Moose organization feeding up to the Canucks so I'm hoping for the same model here.

I'd love to see Lowry, Kosmachuk, Kichton, Petan and others join the club sooner rather than later, but I recognize how important that development time can be. I think that was perhaps one of the Atlanta organizations difficulties and we ended up with a pretty empty pantry as a result. Chevy is stocking it up pretty well and I imagine three or so years down the line we'll have a pretty steady stream of quality prospects to bring in and fill those bottom six (and hopefully some 1st and 2nd liners though I expect them more from our 1st round picks with less development time in the minors) slots out.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I wouldn't touch ROR. He will require 6.5m just as a qualifier which is very steep for a smallish 50-60 point guy (playing with top talent). Would rather see Chevy stay the course and build through the draft. If we need to move Buff I would hope to take back as little salary as possible with picks prospects etc.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
Just saw on TSN that Rangers are shopping Callahan...obviously can't afford to keep him. I feel like he'd be a perfect fit in Winnipeg, and give him a contract similar to Bryan Little's. What do you guys think of this...

Callahan to Jets for Setoguchi and Stuart?

Then our top 9 are any combination of the following (in no specific order)...

Kane - Little - Byfuglien
Ladd - Jokinen - Wheeler
Frolik - Scheifele - Callahan

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I wouldn't touch ROR. He will require 6.5m just as a qualifier which is very steep for a smallish 50-60 point guy (playing with top talent). Would rather see Chevy stay the course and build through the draft. If we need to move Buff I would hope to take back as little salary as possible with picks prospects etc.

The qualifier may not matter if he agrees to a different contract.

Agreed. Maybe he takes 5.5 on a longer term if offered?

And I believe the team can also take him to arbitration.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Just saw on TSN that Rangers are shopping Callahan...obviously can't afford to keep him. I feel like he'd be a perfect fit in Winnipeg, and give him a contract similar to Bryan Little's. What do you guys think of this...

Ladd - Jokinen - Wheeler

I don't think he's looking for a contract like Little's (4.7), if he was, I would think the Rangers would pay it.

I thought the rumor was he was looking for 6 million per?

I really like Callahan, and would love to add players of his ilk, but that seems like bad value to me.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I don't think he's looking for a contract like Little's (4.7), if he was, I would think the Rangers would pay it.

I thought the rumor was he was looking for 6 million per?

I really like Callahan, and would love to add players of his ilk, but that seems like bad value to me.

Over 7 years is what I thought as well. That is just insanity if true.

jetkarma*

Ladd - Jokinen - Wheeler

McQuire said Callahan and his agent are looking for 7 years and 6.5 per. He won't get that from Wpg.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
If we could move Buff, I would have no problem giving Callahan 6-6.25 mil with the cap going up. I would likely only offer that on a 5 year deal though not 7

With the key pieces of our team being locked up for some time, we will have some flexibility IF we decide to spend the money

jetkarma*

If we could move Buff, I would have no problem giving Callahan 6-6.25 mil with the cap going up. I would likely only offer that on a 5 year deal though not 7

With the key pieces of our team being locked up for some time, we will have some flexibility IF we decide to spend the money

That is still a lot of money for a guy that doesn't really score.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I wonder if we'll go after a buy-low guy like Bickell or Bourque at the deadline.

Either one could turn it around with a change of scenery.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
That is still a lot of money for a guy that doesn't really score.

it is. but he is a "heart and soul" type guy. high motor and a good two way game. players like him are exactly what you want in a playoff run.

it really comes down to what the ultimate direction for this team is

im all for building through the draft. but if that's all we're doing... its going to be awhile before we're competitive every year IMO. we could make subtle changes and additions (waivers etc) and maybe sneak into the 8th spot here and there

by the time our prospects and picks are in the league - our current core will be gone or declining. we can only hope we continue to draft and develop well enough be be successfull beyond the current core

but if we're hoping to be competitive sooner than later, and actually try and do some damage in the playoffs - we will have to add some talent. FA pools will be slim, and guys will get overpaid, but other than trading the limited value we currently have.... there aren't a ton of options over the next couple years

jetkarma*

it is. but he is a "heart and soul" type guy. high motor and a good two way game. players like him are exactly what you want in a playoff run.

im all for building through the draft. but if that's all we're doing... its going to be awhile before we're competitive every year IMO. we could make subtle changes and additions (waivers etc) and maybe sneak into the 8th spot here and there

by the time our prospects and picks are in the league - our current core will be gone or declining. we can only hope we continue to draft and develop well enough be be successfull beyond the current core

but if we're hoping to be competitive sooner than later, and actually try and do some damage in the playoffs - we will have to add some talent. FA pools will be slim, and guys will get overpaid, but other than trading the limited value we currently have.... there aren't a ton of options over the next couple years

He wants 7 years at 6 million a year , if that is what it takes we won't sniff that imo.

HolyShot*

From the kings, what would u guys think about a trade like this:

Wpg gets mike richards, toffoli, pearson/voynov and a 2nd

For

Kane.

Wpg gets a ton of talent and a late 2nd rnd pick while la improves on their culture of size and skill.

Pearson is a projected power forward who's proven to be a late bloomer. Could very well be a 30 goal scorer. Yoy guys know bout toffoli and richards. La can't give up a first, gotta keep the prospect pool stocked.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

I don't believe this. I know there is this much talked about philosophy here and elsewhere on HF Boards about a 'window' and what we have not being good enough to win big with. What I have seen is several examples of teams that had a good talented core, and had some things about the team that were broken. The players matured a bit, the org makes a few tweaks, perhaps a coaching change and boom! the team not only makes the playoffs, but goes on to win the Cup. Everyone is looking to build this amazing core and young team that perennially makes the playoffs. That is great, and I want that too but truth be told those teams will yield 2 cups if you are lucky, maybe one, and often none. Look at the examples:

Vancouver - zero
Pittsburgh - one. ONE
Chicago - two
Washington - zero
San Jose - zero
Tampa Bay - one (and rebuilt since then)
Oilers - phenomenal failure

The list goes on and on. Then you throw in teams that were more like the Jets like the Kings and the Hurricanes. They have as much to show for not doing full rebuilds as these other teams.

In summary I do not believe there is one proven method for Cup success in the NHL. I think there are things you can do, and I think the Jets are doing a lot of them. I still believe in this core and I believe we can do great things with *most* of them. Look what coaching has done. It's not smoke and mirrors, either. The guys are playing structured, and doing way more things to give us success on the ice. Can you imagine if we hired a better coach from day one?

This team gets a GOOD goalie, and parlays Buff into a young top 6 forward and watch out.

Also GoldenJet89 after re-reading your post I do realize we are not saying that different of things. I am just responding to this meme that you have to blow it up and assemble a fairy tale core. It doesn't work with enough success to make it worth it.

It doesn't matter HOW you get the right mix of players. There certainly is an art to it though. I think we are closer than some think though.

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
From the kings, what would u guys think about a trade like this:

Wpg gets mike richards, toffoli, pearson/voynov and a 2nd

For

Kane.

Wpg gets a ton of talent and a late 2nd rnd pick while la improves on their culture of size and skill.

Pearson is a projected power forward who's proven to be a late bloomer. Could very well be a 30 goal scorer. Yoy guys know bout toffoli and richards. La can't give up a first, gotta keep the prospect pool stocked.

would do that in a second, but LA would never give up that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad