Speculation: Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (Part XVIII)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
If that was actually possible, would you do it?

I wouldn't. Stamkos is an incredible player, but that would hurt our depth too much. I'd rather keep Scheifele and our 1st (which won't be a top 3 pick), and get a couple of pieces for Buff to shore up our FW's and LD. Just MO.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
What would you guys think of a deal based around:

Buff

for

Fleischmann
Kulikov

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I would want more. I don't love Kulikov, though he will be a good player.
Fleischmann doesn't excite me as a main piece in a buff deal.

I'm not sure how much we need Fleischmann either, he'd likely be on our 3rd line. Would be nice if he could play both sides in case of injury.

It's really about Kulikov and balancing our D-core. He needs to be a solid top 4 guy to make this work. Without that there's no point.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
What would you guys think of a deal based around:

Buff

for

Fleischmann
Kulikov

I didn't really want to post on that offer, but I wouldn't do it. Fleischmann is a decent player, but if we're trading Buff, that trade has to really set us up. A 30 year old with one year left as a piece is not attractive to me.

And Kulikov is a average to good piece as well. He's hit or miss, and not very strong defensively. He wouldn't be my first choice as the type of guy we want paired with Bogo or Trouba. Plus there is the whole KHL thing. Kulikov needs to come with a massive compensation piece if he walked.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wouldn't. Stamkos is an incredible player, but that would hurt our depth too much. I'd rather keep Scheifele and our 1st (which won't be a top 3 pick), and get a couple of pieces for Buff to shore up our FW's and LD. Just MO.

I would be very hesitant. Scheifele is a controlled asset for much longer (Stamkos will be a UFA in another two years, so we might only have him for 2 seasons). I think that Scheifele might turn out to be a high-level #2C who plays a strong two-way game. He could develop into a mid-level #1 C. If it's a top 3 pick then you are talking about a Reinhart / Bennett player (at least), and perhaps an Eichel / McDavid (if it's a 2015 top-3). A top 3 pick is a very valuable asset most years. Buff could yield at least one top-4 D or top-6 forward that has a good contract.

Altogether, I think that the package would be too much, particularly since Stamkos is a UFA too soon. If Stamkos was on a much longer deal, that would improve the deal.

bazaaa*

At first (before scrolling back) I thought it was Scheif for Stamkos and I was going to call you crazy.
I agree, as good as Stamkos is, with other factors, that's too much.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Brandon Pirri looked quite dominating in the AHL All Star game. Would be interested if Chevy could callup his connections in Chicago. Perhaps something around Pirri for Stuart straight up

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Brandon Pirri looked quite dominating in the AHL All Star game. Would be interested if Chevy could callup his connections in Chicago. Perhaps something around Pirri for Stuart straight up

Wonder how Chicago feels about Redmond as a guy who can sit on their AHL team and be ready for the playoffs in case they lose some D on the playoff run. Could sweeten a deal with somebody.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Wonder how Chicago feels about Redmond as a guy who can sit on their AHL team and be ready for the playoffs in case they lose some D on the playoff run. Could sweeten a deal with somebody.

That's a pretty damn good idea. Wonder if it suits their needs. The other thing is Pirri and O'Dell need waivers in the fall. If Pirri cannot play wing either, that's not very good. In fact they sound like very very similar players.

Monster1974

Feb 9, 2014
what about Buf to MTL for it's 1st Rd Pick '14 (likely 15-20th) and one of it's top end prospects (Sebastian Collberg maybe)?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I have mentioned Pirri multiple times in different threads. If the price was right, he would be a nice guy to try for the remainder of the season. Good numbers in the AHL, and looks like a better skater than O'Dell.

what about Buf to MTL for it's 1st Rd Pick '14 (likely 15-20th) and one of it's top end prospects (Sebastian Collberg maybe)?

Not a fan of Collberg.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I figure that Buff for Gallagher would be a fair trade if both teams wanted a bit of a change up. Some people might not agree but I think a 2nd line winger with a crazy work ethic would be a good enough return for Buff in the off-season if we chose to trade him.

bazaaa*

I figure that Buff for Gallagher would be a fair trade if both teams wanted a bit of a change up. Some people might not agree but I think a 2nd line winger with a crazy work ethic would be a good enough return for Buff in the off-season if we chose to trade him.

I see that as a lateral move, maybe even a downgrade. Since moved forward, Buff is on a similar scoring pace as Gallagher.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chicago is going to have a real problem with the salary cap next year (http://www.capgeek.com/blackhawks). They are projected to have only $7.3 million in cap space with 16 players signed. That means that they'll have to fill in considerable roster gaps with some very cheap players, or dump some players with higher salary.

Could the Jets try to take advantage of this by absorbing a contract? For example, the Blackhawks might be quite motivated to trade Bickell to dump the remaining years of his contract ($4 million per year).

Do you think the Jets could/would consider something like?

To Chicago: Jokinen
To Winnipeg: Bickell, Pirri, 2nd round pick

For the 'Hawks, it gives them a veteran 3rd line C for this year's Cup run, and importantly, sheds an anchor salary from the next three years. Jokinen's expiring contract would actually be a big relief for Chicago. For the Jets, it gives them an overpriced guy who is probably an upgrade in the bottom 3-4 forwards, a good young F prospect, and a pick.

I'm not sure if I would do this, but sometimes financial considerations force a team to lose a hockey trade if there's a team positioned to take advantage.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Chicago is going to have a real problem with the salary cap next year (http://www.capgeek.com/blackhawks). They are projected to have only $7.3 million in cap space with 16 players signed. That means that they'll have to fill in considerable roster gaps with some very cheap players, or dump some players with higher salary.

Could the Jets try to take advantage of this by absorbing a contract? For example, the Blackhawks might be quite motivated to trade Bickell to dump the remaining years of his contract ($4 million per year).

Do you think the Jets could/would consider something like?

To Chicago: Jokinen
To Winnipeg: Bickell, Pirri, 2nd round pick

For the 'Hawks, it gives them a veteran 3rd line C for this year's Cup run, and importantly, sheds an anchor salary from the next three years. Jokinen's expiring contract would actually be a big relief for Chicago. For the Jets, it gives them an overpriced guy who is probably an upgrade in the bottom 3-4 forwards, a good young F prospect, and a pick.

I'm not sure if I would do this, but sometimes financial considerations force a team to lose a hockey trade if there's a team positioned to take advantage.

That's a hell of a return for Jokinen. I'd be inclined to take it. We might get stuck with Bickell and his salary, but we should have room for it really.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's a hell of a return for Jokinen. I'd be inclined to take it. We might get stuck with Bickell and his salary, but we should have room for it really.

Bickell is probably a negative acquisition for the Jets (and a positive for Chicago if they can trade him), so Pirri and the 2nd pick compensate for both Jokinen and the acquisition of Bickell. For Chicago it helps short-term for their playoff run, and in the long-term by freeing up cap space. For Winnipeg they get some young assets to offset taking on Bickell and his bloated contract.

In the end, I guess this sort of deal really depends on how Bickell is viewed. How likely is he to come anywhere close to his contract in value?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Bickell is probably a negative acquisition for the Jets (and a positive for Chicago if they can trade him), so Pirri and the 2nd pick compensate for both Jokinen and the acquisition of Bickell. For Chicago it helps short-term for their playoff run, and in the long-term by freeing up cap space. For Winnipeg they get some young assets to offset taking on Bickell and his bloated contract.

In the end, I guess this sort of deal really depends on how Bickell is viewed. How likely is he to come anywhere close to his contract in value?

Looking at the cap next year I really fear where salaries are going to continue to go, to the point that we might start talking about $4 million being normal third line money. I hope not, but there's potentially $20 million more in cap next year? So is Bickell then worth it at average third line money? I don't know.

Maybe we can send Bickell off to Toronto if we don't like him? :sarcasm:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I see that as a lateral move, maybe even a downgrade. Since moved forward, Buff is on a similar scoring pace as Gallagher.

Isn't a lateral move the idea...? We're not going to rip anyone off. We'd have a younger, longer cost controlled, harder working guy. We'd give up the size and versatility of Buff. I don't think trading Buff is a necessity, but a pest that can score and go to the net would be high on my priority list.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Looking at the cap next year I really fear where salaries are going to continue to go, to the point that we might start talking about $4 million being normal third line money. I hope not, but there's potentially $20 million more in cap next year? So is Bickell then worth it at average third line money? I don't know.

Maybe we can send Bickell off to Toronto if we don't like him? :sarcasm:

He's cheaper than 2 out of the Jets 3 current 3rd line forwards...

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

I don't see why Montreal would do that. Buff just doesn't have the mojo that he did at forward in 2010 (especially at 5.2 M) and they don't have a need for him on D.

I think that's about the value we're going to get though.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

Except the majority of those points have been scored while he's playing D on the powerplay or 4 on 4.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
If were going with stars in the AHL that could be effective with the Jets. You guys should look at Luke Adam, Mike Hoffman, Brett Connolly was okay. He could help the jets I believe. Of course Pirri was awesome. Jake Allen (going to be a goaltending god).

Just so cheap possibilities that probabally won't cost more then Redmond and a pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad