Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

northendninja

Feb 25, 2016
even with the Seth Jones contract setting another comparable, what would be Troubas motivation to sign until this whole offer sheet scenario is played out?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
even with the Seth Jones contract setting another comparable, what would be Troubas motivation to sign until this whole offer sheet scenario is played out?

It might just be a smokescreen or sham invented by two Boston reporters who have a history of using each other as their secret "source"

If Boston is truly going to execute an offer sheet they have probably already been talking to Trouba's agent. So the Trouba camp should have a better idea of where things stand

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

The fact that the offer sheet is likely not remotely related to reality would be one reason. If you ponder the threads here and on the main board there's little veracity to the suggestion. Winnipeg isn't a good team to offer sheet against because they do have cap space. Sweeney might draft poorly but he's probably not completely insane.

I think both Trouba's camp and Chevy both wait for Lindholm to sign now that Jones has so the complete set of comparables are set and at that point negotiations begin in earnest. Chevy has never rushed a thing in his life I'm quite sure.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
It might just be a smokescreen or sham invented by two Boaron reporters who have a history of using each other as their secret "source"

If Boston is truly going to execute an offer sheet they have probably already been talking to Trouba's agent. So the Trouba camp should have a better idea of where things stand

They aren't allowed to talk to Trouba's agent.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
They aren't allowed to talk to Trouba's agent.

They most certainly are. The courting period for RFA's began on June 28 @ 12:01am EDT. An offersheet cannot be signed until July 1 but they are not prevented from talking to Trouba's agent now.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
RFA's get a courting period too. This Was put out by general fanager

image.jpg

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
Given how bad they've been WITH those 1OA's, I could see a situation where they were actually relegated to the AHL without those 1OA's. :laugh:

Buffalo is provably regretting matching it. Imagine how that would have accelerated their rebuild.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Buffalo is provably regretting matching it. Imagine how that would have accelerated their rebuild.

Hindsight is 20/20

keep in mind, at that time the Oilers made the Cup finals the season before

imagine if we rejected a hypothetical Boston offer, only for Boston to have 4 1st OA picks :laugh:

I love Trouba and want him to be our cornerstone #1 for years to come and be happy if we matched him in this hypothetical scenario, but I would certainly look back at those odds and think "gee maybe we missed out"

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think the Vanek offersheet would be a very comparable situation to the Vanek one.

Descending team trying to get back to contender status by poaching a young player for picks. Like Vanek was, Trouba is a very good player. But he is not a superstar and the four 1st round picks will almost certainly be worth more in the long run. Problem is waiting for the long run to arrive.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
K what is Trouba honestly demanding? do we know? guys that are comparable/better than him are signing deals that seem about right... he cant be asking for more than Jones and Rielly and stuff is he? Im assuming he is thought I guess

No chance he deserves Jones type money IMO

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
If Trouba was willing to sign 7 years, I'd go maximum 5.5

7 x 5.5 = 38.5 million.

I wouldn't go more than that. Because as much as some people love to hype the guy, i just don't think he's shown that he's worth it yet.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
If Trouba was willing to sign 7 years, I'd go maximum 5.5

7 x 5.5 = 38.5 million.

I wouldn't go more than that. Because as much as some people love to hype the guy, i just don't think he's shown that he's worth it yet.

I think your valuation is reasonable. Trouba hasn't shown much (or had the opportunity to show much) that should put him above that amount. I don't really think Jones is fully in the discussion as a comparable, he'd be the upper absolute boundary. But with any of these negotiations you're buying up UFA years on speculation so they'll cost more driving the AAV up.

Also still think we're seeing a shift in where the max value contract for players will be going forward. It'll be one of two deals, when they are coming off their ELC, typically with 4 years of RFA left. The second will be when they're coming out of that RFA/UFA combined deal they signed.

Eight year deals will favor the teams in the sense that Trouba would be 28. Still young but you'll hear rumblings about him "being close to 30" during the next negotiation so you'll likely see shorter terms (5 years), maybe with higher AAV kind of like Buff's deal. A six year deal would favor the player - in Trouba's case (or Scheifele's for that matter) he's more likely to get a better, longer contract coming off a six year deal at 26 because the meme will be "just a year over 25" but at 26 the agent will be spinning it something along the lines of "well, at 30 you gave Buff a big deal for five years carrying him out to 35 years old, so my client being 26 will want an 8 year deal with similar AAV (would be nine but eight is max term). Six years and eight years gives a guy like Trouba 14 years of pay. Eight year deal out of ELC likely only results in a five year deal subsequently meaning he loses a year of term (he could sign again as a 34 year old of course) and probably overall a decrease in AAV.

So why would these guys sign an eight year deal? I can't imagine any agent thinks they are good ideas. Seven as you propose? Kind of that compromise where maybe you get consecutive seven year deals. I think if I'm a player with no loyalties early in my career then I really only want to sign a six year deal. And that's not to cast aspersions on Trouba's loyalty or not, it's just good business sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad