Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
Both him and Hyman have been a bit off since coming back from injury/covid protocol. Hoping for a big game for the top line, although I wouldn't mind testing either with Drai.

Reactions: PulYou

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
His production has fallen off.

Hopefully he doesn't request a trade again, but I'm fully expecting the weird Finnish media articles to start coming out again about how he's been misaligned and treated unfairly.

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020

Hopefully he doesn't request a trade again, but I'm fully expecting the weird Finnish media articles to start coming out again about how he's been misaligned and treated unfairly.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
It's disappointing his production has been like this lately. A while ago he quite frequently seemed to play a part in goals without getting points but it's been quieter also on this side now. At least he's still bringing some parts and helping to push the game to the offensive side.

Coincdence or not it seems both McDavid and Puljujarvi have been producing less since playing in separate lines. I checked the stats a few games ago:

McDavid's CF% with Pulju is 59.1%, without Pulju 48.3%.
McDavid's GF% with Pulju is 58.8%, without Pulju 45.5%

So when playing without Puljujarvi McDavid's corsi and GF% have been negative this season. Hopefully Kane will bring what he needs, but maybe some of the things Pulju brought would help him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Pulju and Yamamoto are really hurting our top 6 right now. Much like Connor, I'm wondering if Jesse is playing hurt.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Pulju and Yamamoto are really hurting our top 6 right now. Much like Connor, I'm wondering if Jesse is playing hurt.

He obviously had covid a while ago so it could also be related to that, but while I speculate a bit I rather don't find excuses. However, until a few games ago the EJ often gave him pretty much the highest scores of the team so until recently he's obviously been bringing something to the table.

My guess is confidence still plays too big a part in Jesse's game. Maybe he's trying to find his role again as the team doesn't trust his hands or creativity on the PP and maybe McDavid said something that got his head messed about his role. There's also been trade rumours so they could affect in the background and it could also be just him being disappointed about his production after an amazing start. It's also possible there's something a bit nasty in the contract negotiating side going on, but like I said this is just speculation. A goal or two might be good in this case.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He obviously had covid a while ago so it could also be related to that, but while I speculate a bit I rather don't find excuses. However, until a few games ago the EJ often gave him pretty much the highest scores of the team so until recently he's obviously been bringing something to the table.

My guess is confidence still plays too big a part in Jesse's game. Maybe he's trying to find his role again as the team doesn't trust his hands or creativity on the PP and maybe McDavid said something that got his head messed about his role. There's also been trade rumours so they could affect in the background and it could also be just him being disappointed about his production after an amazing start. It's also possible there's something a bit nasty in the contract negotiating side going on, but like I said this is just speculation. A goal or two might be good in this case.

I tend to think that injuries are the biggest issue when I see hard working players struggling. Confidence is huge too, but in this case I think it's a little from column A and a little from column B.

Reactions: Whyme

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Unfortunately he doesnt seem the same offensively since McDavid yelled at him. He bobbles the puck a lot and cant wait to get rid of the puck as soon as he gets it. He wasnt doing this as much to start the year.

He still does lots of good things outside of his offensive game. Hes big, he goes to the net, forechecks hard.

Offensively hes lost his confidence though.

Reactions: Pyy83 and Duke74

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Unfortunately he doesnt seem the same offensively since McDavid yelled at him. He bobbles the puck a lot and cant wait to get rid of the puck as soon as he gets it. He wasnt doing this as much to start the year.

He still does lots of good things outside of his offensive game. Hes big, he goes to the net, forechecks hard.

He was fine to start the year. He’s dropped off a cliff in the last month.

Reactions: gordonhught

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I don't think either are playing hurt, I think they're both playing dumb though. The biggest culprits on the team of over passing or blowing it by whenever they do decide to shoot.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Sign him 7 million… haha :laugh:

*8 years.

I'm still pulling for the guy but if he wants to stay with the Oilers he'll have to settle for something much more modest.

I honestly don't think the Oilers can go into next season with 2 guys in the top 6 who don't often bulge the twine.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
*8 years.

I'm still pulling for the guy but if he wants to stay with the Oilers he'll have to settle for something much more modest.

I honestly don't think the Oilers can go into next season with 2 guys in the top 6 who don't often bulge the twine.

One of Yamo or PJ will need to go this off season. Both are too inconsistent and we can’t have that at this stage.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
One of Yamo or PJ will need to go this off season. Both are too inconsistent and we can’t have that at this stage.

I'm always hopeful at the start of the new season but tbh we seem to have landed in the same spot we are usually in by this point of the season. There are 2 guys up front who are a threat to score and 2 other guys (RNH and Hyman) who have at least some offensive ability but are certainly not snipers. Kane has some skill in that dept. but we don't know if he's sticking around--my guess is not.

On the back end we have Bouch, who is an offensive dynamo but is really struggling defensively and another offensive D-man-Barrie- who seems to have forgotten to put on the tires before hitting the road. The wheels have definitely come off.

So looking ahead to the next season where does goal production improve? If it does then it will have to come from one of the prospects because nobody on the current roster is on the brink of breaking out.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

He had the best start to his career the first 2 months of this season if anything McDavid's yelling seemed to light a fire under his ass in the offseason. He's just struggling due to a combination of post-COVID+bad luck+low confidence in a vicious positive feedback loop.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm always hopeful at the start of the new season but tbh we seem to have landed in the same spot we are usually in by this point of the season. There are 2 guys up front who are a threat to score and 2 other guys (RNH and Hyman) who have at least some offensive ability but are certainly not snipers. Kane has some skill in that dept. but we don't know if he's sticking around--my guess is not.

On the back end we have Bouch, who is an offensive dynamo but is really struggling defensively and another offensive D-man-Barrie- who seems to have forgotten to put on the tires before hitting the road. The wheels have definitely come off.

So looking ahead to the next season where does goal production improve? If it does then it will have to come from one of the prospects because nobody on the current roster is on the brink of breaking out.

I think we need to move one of them for a more established older consistent player. What that would look like I don’t know right now.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I think we need to move one of them for a more established older consistent player. What that would look like I don’t know right now.

You might be right but when this organization goes to make a trade I just hold my breath. Probably best to just let the young guys play next year.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield

I do not think so He has given a good testimony on Edmonton and wants to be there

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Bit worried that he just might end up as a top9. good responsible all ice player with 20 goals potentian.
Sliding to 2nd and third line.

And thats totally fine, though bitt dissapointment.

Still he might turn it around.
Not seen to many games from Jesse this season.
Is he Ok still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad