Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Guess Kane isn't the one with mental weakness, eh? Talking about shining new toy syndrome.
That's apples and oranges. Kane is a special arrangement, and he can score and play hockey, with mental fortitude issues.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He might not be scoring, but the team is vastly better with him on the ice than without.

This is why hockey fans should try and understand analytics. Jp is amazing at creating offense, but not great at finishing. As he continues to get better at finishing, hea gunna score way more goals

But I find most hockey fans only associate offensive ability and goal totals. If you aren't scoring, you aren't offensive. JP is not that, he creates a ton.

Hes also elite defensively (not just good)

JP should be prioritized as a long term core piece. Hes the second coming of Wheeler

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He hasn't been producing as consistently as I hoped, but he is still the 5th best scorer of the team. Two points behind Hyman and Nuge within reach if he'd had as much PP time.

I really wanted to see Pulju flourish specifically in the Oilers, but realistically thinking I'm torn wether or not he should be traded. I just feel some other team would have a bigger need for him as the Oilers have a heavy top and they don't really need Pulju on the powerplay.

If the value for the Oilers is 4 million that you suddested I'm pretty sure there are teams that see his value pretty much higher. On the other hand Pulju shines at tilting the game towards the offensive side and is good at defending, which the Oilers know but which may be harder to turn to big market value.

Him not having a massive offensive season will be good for the Oilers if we can sign him long term. Given his past hip issues, I'm thinking that Jesse would be wise to look at a long term deal as well.

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
This is why hockey fans should try and understand analytics. Jp is amazing at creating offense, but not great at finishing. As he continues to get better at finishing, hea gunna score way more goals

But I find most hockey fans only associate offensive ability and goal totals. If you aren't scoring, you aren't offensive. JP is not that, he creates a ton.

JP should be prioritized as a long term core piece. Hes the second coming of Wheeler

Are we watching the same player? The guy doesn’t have the skill level to onetime a puck half the time. He looks like he is gonna shit his pants when he has the puck on his stick. Can’t count the amount of passes from McDavid that he just completely missed

He doesn’t create any offence through skill but maybe some due to hard work. Even when he was on the third line with McLeod and Foegele they drove the play he was the third wheel.

I can understand dishing off to McDavid/Drai but to me the kid severely lacks confidence and his skill is better suited for the third line.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Are we watching the same player? The guy doesn’t have the skill level to onetime a puck half the time. He looks like he is gonna shit his pants when he has the puck on his stick. Can’t count the amount of passes from McDavid that he just completely missed

He doesn’t create any offence through skill but maybe some due to hard work. Even when he was on the third line with McLeod and Foegele they drove the play he was the third wheel.

I can understand dishing off to McDavid/Drai but to me the kid severely lacks confidence and his skill is better suited for the third line.

He has shown high end skill, just earlier this season to be exact. He has issues with confidence and IMO his skating has taken a noticeable step back so I feel that he likely hasn't been 100% for some time now. He can play anywhere in the lineup like a RNH or Hyman, those players bring a ton of value to the team.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018

For a few games coming back after covid he did not look the same player as before. The covid took a hit on him, but lately he was starting to go again. And @Aceboogie was writing about analytics not inexpert eyetest.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
For a few games coming back after covid he did not look the same player as before. The covid took a hit on him, but lately he was starting to go again. And @Aceboogie was writing about analytics not inexpert eyetest.

Starting to go again? He scored one goal by diving at a loose puck and the other he whiffed a pass and went off his skate

The poster you replied to is 100% correct. JP does very little with a puck. He luckily has the brains to abandon a cycle and sate back fast which inflates his D stats and around a net he weirdly develops a center of gravity from who knows where cuz when he gets near any boards, he is Bambi

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

This is a pretty accurate assessment tbh

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

giphy.gif

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Starting to go again? He scored one goal by diving at a loose puck and the other he whiffed a pass and went off his skate

The poster you replied to is 100% correct. JP does very little with a puck. He luckily has the brains to abandon a cycle and sate back fast which inflates his D stats and around a net he weirdly develops a center of gravity from who knows where cuz when he gets near any boards, he is Bambi

I don’t mean to offend You, but many times I read Your assesments I think maybe You just don’t understand what You are watching never mind the analytics...

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

JP is our best player defensively

Reactions: PulYou

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
JP needs to be prioritized because he's exactly the sort of player we've been missing for so long. Swiss army knife that can fit anywhere in your top 3 lines and bring something different. Yes he hasn't panned out to be the consistent 30+ goal scorer (..yet) but he's easily our best defensive forward and has improved almost every year he's been in the NHL. He came out to start the season flying, had a few bouts with Covid and hasn't looked sharp but if you can sign him for a 4 year deal around $4m I think that's great value.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
If he already hasn't I wish Jesse will hire a shooting coach. Or just work a summer with Draisaitl working on his finish.

If JP was a good finisher on top of what he is, he'd score 40 goals while being elite defensively paired with McDavid.

FL-DsKSXoA04pJ0

Macheteops

Apr 13, 2005
I hope he proves me wrong. I just call it as I see it. He doesn’t create much offence. He is best utilized on the third line. If my opinion of a player on a team I cheer for differs I guess that makes me a rat lol

One thing I m not bias about players on the team I cheer for or the country I was born in. That’s where I differ from a lot here

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
I hope he proves me wrong. I just call it as I see it. He doesn’t create much offence. He is best utilized on the third line. If my opinion of a player on a team I cheer for differs I guess that makes me a rat lol

One thing I m not bias about players on the team I cheer for or the country I was born in. That’s where I differ from a lot here

Something wrong with your eye sight then? When Pulju is playing he is tilting the ice. And if you can’t see that there are statistics to prove it.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
And on pace for a 50 point season. Obvious trolls are obvious.
Lol. on pace. That means nothing. No one hits that stuff Unless you’re maybe McDavid Because he’s so consistent. I think on pace is a cheap way out to fluff up a player. Jmo and I stand by it.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
He gets his team the puck. That creates offense. Really don't know what games some of y'all watch; the last couple he's been forcing the other team to turn pucks over every shift and somehow there were people in the GDTs who couldn't shut up about how bad he is. Get your eyes checked or learn how cause and effect works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad