Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Anyone who thinks Puljujarvi is bad is on drugs. Like yes he can't finish and can't pass well but he's our best defensive forward and helps get pucks to more skilled players to pot the puck in the net. He has the potential to be the next Jere Lehtinen. Pretty sure you can win Cups with a Jere Lehtinen as a core piece. With his mediocre production level it's not like he's gonna be paid 7 mil or anything either. He absolutely needs to be part of the Oilers future.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Anyone who thinks Puljujarvi is bad is on drugs. Like yes he can't finish and can't pass well but he's our best defensive forward and helps get pucks to more skilled players to pot the puck in the net. He has the potential to be the next Jere Lehtinen. Pretty sure you can win Cups with a Jere Lehtinen as a core piece. With his mediocre production level it's not like he's gonna be paid 7 mil or anything either. He absolutely needs to be part of the Oilers future.

He's the best defensive forward b/c he doesn't finish checks, doesn't waste energy down low battling for pucks, abandons cycles to go to the front of the net. When was the last time you saw Jesse CHIP AND CHASE a puck? He doesn't, that's the answer. That also answers why JP is able to get back so quickly...b/c he refuses to do the things that Kane, Hyman, JP and Yamo do

The dude should be traded asap while he still has value, cuz paying him over 4mil to play hot potato, not help with sustained pressure or carry a puck more than 2 ft by himself all for the sake of getting back would the the highlight of stupidity,

The Oilers had their most dominant games on the forecheck against TB and Wash without JP. The dude is not nearly as important as some make him out to be and those absolute BS advanced stats ppl hurl around here with zero context and not realizing it's cuz he rakes those up b/c he shovels pucks into his teammates and lets them do all the work....ya. those "advanced stats" can go f***

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I don’t mean to offend You, but many times I read Your assesments I think maybe You just don’t understand what You are watching never mind the analytics...

It seems you watch the analytics and have no clue what you are watching

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
When he drives to the net good things happen
Tenacious forecheck
Still needs work in finishing his checks
Good stick, long reach
Has a great shot, needs to use it more. Can't score if you don't shoot.
Only 23, late bloomer, and seeing glimpses of him putting it together.
I still think he has another gear, and someone you probably want on this team long term.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
I think it would be ab absolute mistake to trade him. While he hasn't put it together by a long shot, the physical tools and drive are there. He STILL has a bit of bambi on ice syndrome, trying to figure out is lanky body.
If he ever figures out how to slow the game down and make a soft pass under pressure, look out. I actually think he could get there still. Will he, is something we should all be hoping for.

I think he just needs more experience...more then most. Stick with him and he'll pay off
That's my eval

Last edited:

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I think it would be ab absolute mistake to trade him. While he hasn't put it together by a long shot, the physical tools and drive are there.
If he ever figures out how to slow the game down and make a soft pass under pressure, look out. I actually think he could get there still. Will he, is something we should all be hoping for.

I think he just needs more experience...more then most. Stick with him and he'll pay off
That's my eval

I agree. he seems like the the type of player who once he hits the 25,26, 27 year old seasons, he could really blow up into a 25-30 goal scorer with his size and speed, and I'd much have him do that with the Oilers than against them.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I agree. he seems like the the type of player who once he hits the 25,26, 27 year old seasons, he could really blow up into a 25-30 goal scorer with his size and speed, and I'd much have him do that with the Oilers than against them.
If he can figure out his aim. He misses by such a wide margin it is almost comical.

Does the rest OK (some things very good) but aim and solid checking are missing.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Puljujarvi is unequivocally one of the most underrated players by Oiler fans, probably ever

This is a guy with elite underlying numbers, one of the best defensive forwards in the league, and universally loved by neutral observers.

He is a victim of the fact that many casual fans are not good at evaluating defensive forward ability (including myself). Fans love judging forwards on offensive skills (how good of a shot they have, how good they dangle). But defensive ability, because it's so nuanced, it's a major area fans aren't great at judging properly. And this is where underlying numbers paint a better picture. And hes been solid throughout his career and now elite under Woodcroft. When I say elite, I mean top 5 forward in most of the important metrics defensively

Long live JP, our 3rd best forward

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He's the best defensive forward b/c he doesn't finish checks, doesn't waste energy down low battling for pucks, abandons cycles to go to the front of the net. When was the last time you saw Jesse CHIP AND CHASE a puck? He doesn't, that's the answer. That also answers why JP is able to get back so quickly...b/c he refuses to do the things that Kane, Hyman, JP and Yamo do

The dude should be traded asap while he still has value, cuz paying him over 4mil to play hot potato, not help with sustained pressure or carry a puck more than 2 ft by himself all for the sake of getting back would the the highlight of stupidity,

The Oilers had their most dominant games on the forecheck against TB and Wash without JP. The dude is not nearly as important as some make him out to be and those absolute BS advanced stats ppl hurl around here with zero context and not realizing it's cuz he rakes those up b/c he shovels pucks into his teammates and lets them do all the work....ya. those "advanced stats" can go f***
hahaha man the absolute hate that some people have for Puljujarvi is hilarious.

same people who swore they‘d never cheer for him after they claim he quit on the team have gone from simply not cheering for him to posting absolute nonsense. Guessing your girl commented once how cute she thinks JP is and you’ve felt threatened by it ever since. Not sure how else to explain this level of hate towards the most likable hockey player there is.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Puljujarvi is unequivocally one of the most underrated players by Oiler fans, probably ever

This is a guy with elite underlying numbers, one of the best defensive forwards in the league, and universally loved by neutral observers.

He is a victim of the fact that many casual fans are not good at evaluating defensive forward ability (including myself). Fans love judging forwards on offensive skills (how good of a shot they have, how good they dangle). But defensive ability, because it's so nuanced, it's a major area fans aren't great at judging properly. And this is where underlying numbers paint a better picture. And hes been solid throughout his career and now elite under Woodcroft. When I say elite, I mean top 5 forward in most of the important metrics defensively

I’d say he’s our 5th best forward behind McD, Drai, Nuge, Kand. Possibly 6th now that Yam’s has found his scoring touch that he finds once every 24 months.

Edit: forgot Hyman.

so 6th or 7th. Which is great that we actually have some real forward depth when healthy.

Reactions: LaGu and oilers'72

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Assessing his underlying #'s is easy actually. When you realize JP is able to get back cuz he rids himself of the puck as fast as possible. Alot harder for a guy like Kane or Hyman to get back when they fail to make a play with the puck below the goal line
Alot easier for JP to get back when he shovels the puck into a covered player and he's free

First you need to understand why those analytics favor him to understand them

I'll buy you a shot for everytime JP spins off a forecheck with the puck on the boards or for every 5seconds he has control. Trust me, you wouldn't blow over by the end of the game

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
hahaha man the absolute hate that some people have for Puljujarvi is hilarious.

same people who swore they‘d never cheer for him after they claim he quit on the team have gone from simply not cheering for him to posting absolute nonsense. Guessing your girl commented once how cute she thinks JP is and you’ve felt threatened by it ever since. Not sure how else to explain this level of hate towards the most likable hockey player there is.

Don't cry

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
JP's value to the team is somewhere between "he's the 3rd best forward on the team & is a priority signing because we can't afford to lose him given his underlying numbers" & "he should be traded immediately if not sooner".

While I'd have no issues if they resigned him to a reasonable contract, he might be a cap casualty, I'd also have no issue if they traded him for a proven middle 6 commodity with some remaining control so both takes are beyond ridiculous IMO.

Reactions: LaGu and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't understand the hate for Puljujarvi. Literally, he's actually the oilers best two way player. The Oilers are also a better team with him and players generate more when he's on their line.

Its plays like these that makes Puljujarvi so effective.

That’s impossible. I just read that he’s the worst forechecker on the team according to someone who claims to be the expert on all things JP.

Reactions: oilers'72

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I don't understand the hate for Puljujarvi. Literally, he's actually the oilers best two way player. The Oilers are also a better team with him and players generate more when he's on their line.

Its plays like these that makes Puljujarvi so effective.

Its impressive that he was able to get that, because what bobby was telling us all, is he never goes deep so he can get back defensively.

Hmmm.

Big Brain Bobby.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Its impressive that he was able to get that, because what bobby was telling us all, is he never goes deep so he can get back defensively.

Hmmm.

Big Brain Bobby.

Reading comprehension is tuff. He does exactly what he did there. Flies by w a stick check. He got it there tho. Had he not he's already turning back up ice.

Hyman or Kane likely put shoulder to body there

Gotta love these 1 vid examples tho lmao. How about a compilation of the times he skates by swiping.?

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007

Jesse forechecks like a monster and battles for pucks all the time what on Earth are you watching? His entire game is dedicated around hounding pucks and getting it to more skilled players. Do you think hitting is more important than getting the puck and positioning well defensively or something? Go look up how many hits Jere Lehtinen threw (hint: hitting and defense are not the same thing). Maybe you should start using spreadsheets and only spreadsheets b/c the eye test thing doesn't seem to be doing too hot for you.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Jesse forechecks like a monster and battles for pucks all the time what on Earth are you watching? His entire game is dedicated around hounding pucks and getting it to more skilled players. Do you think hitting is more important than getting the puck and positioning well defensively or something? Go look up how many hits Jere Lehtinen threw (hint: hitting and defense are not the same thing). Maybe you should start using spreadsheets and only spreadsheets b/c the eye test thing doesn't seem to be doing too hot for you.
This same poster feels like JP owes him something after he went back to finland.

Talks about how he quit on the team even though he didnt have a contract.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
This same poster feels like JP owes him something after he went back to finland.

Honestly after that whole circus he does owe us something: becoming a productive contributor on the Edmonton Oilers.

Thankfully Jesse Puljujarvi has become our best defensive forward who make it easier for his linemates to play the game and chips in offensively despite the struggles with shot accuracy etc. So I consider that obligation fulfilled.:D

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

This is a lie. I never really harped on that at all. So BS by you.

I did however hold him accountable for not learning English which caused all his troubles while ppl tried to blame the Oil for F'ing him over. In hindsite, I ended being 100% correct while some ppl kept playing make belief

Get your facts straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad