Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Jesse forechecks like a monster and battles for pucks all the time what on Earth are you watching? His entire game is dedicated around hounding pucks and getting it to more skilled players. Do you think hitting is more important than getting the puck and positioning well defensively or something? Go look up how many hits Jere Lehtinen threw (hint: hitting and defense are not the same thing). Maybe you should start using spreadsheets and only spreadsheets b/c the eye test thing doesn't seem to be doing too hot for you.
Wrong. I never said he isn't a good forchecker. I said he flies by if he's a step late and doesn't finish checks. As for battling...get your eyes checked. When he is on the boards he goes limp instead of pushing off half the time. The other half he shovels the puck towards players who are covered vs recognizing they are and actually making a play for himself

There is no way in hell you could compile a 2min vid of JP fighting off a board battle like Hyman does regularily and skating out with the puck. Not a chance in hell

Absolutely no complaints about JP for what he brings on his current salary. No way in hell do I want him making 4plus for differing to linemates 95% of the time.

Plus, I think the Oil showed against TB and Wash that they don't need him as that was the most dominant they looked. He's also on the 3rd line, so clearly Drai and McD can look good without him too

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Game update. Missed the first 4min, so incase I missed something

Mcd, Drai, Kane, Hyman, Brassard, Bouch, RNH and Keith all made positive plays by handling the puck

JP, despite having many touches, didn't have the puck in possession for more than 0.5 seconds that period.

He also turned over the first or second goal cuz he shovelled a pass and then gave up a 3 on 2 cuz he rushed another puck he clearly could have corralled

Will keep you updated

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Turned the game off. Watched 2 periods and didn't once see JP carry a puck.

Saw one play in the 3rd where he was hit on the wing but was skating backwards a d one touch dropped it.

Did at any point tonite he make a single stride with the puck? Asking for my friend @nabob

Reactions: Macheteops

Kaptah2

Apr 30, 2020
Jesse was good, but if he does not become less clumsy with the puck he won't be getting 15+ minutes ice times.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I thought Puljo was pretty mediocre last night and has been pedestrian for a while. There is a reason he's stopped scoring.

And also a reason he only got 9 minutes in a huge game where we really could have used him, but only if he was playing decent.

Last edited:

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Pulju was one of the best Oilers once again and gets rewarded by getting 9 minutes of TOI...

He played 2 periods where he only tapped every puck. Not a full second of possession in over a handful of touches.. His only one possession play came from a feed to Kane, which he gets praise for lmao. ONE possession play in an entire game

He caused the Oilers first/second goal by refusing to corral a puck but instead shovel it towards Brassard who he missed and it went to a Flame instead.,. That play caught him and his line down low that sprung a 3-2 that scored

Again, that period, he refused to take a loose puck and tried to swipe it back to absolutely nobody. Yet again, he left him and his line behind a puck for another 3-2

He finished that period by, and I have to use this as the hockey term, he "picked" up a loose puck at center ice in full stride. Not a player within 7ft of him. But, he DIDN"T pick up the puck. He shovelled it forward instead, too far to chase down and gave the puck away. Go straight, go left, go right? Nope. Just tap the puck away instead

In the last 2 games I've watched 4ft Yamo take on defenders wide or chip and chase and create plays. In the last 2 games JP gained the bluezone with possession 3 times. 2x he shot from time the blueline, the other he chipped down low, stopped skating and allowed himself to get pinned

Milan F'in Lucic in that last game carried the puck more times than JP has in his last 4

But ya, I guess JP was still one of the best Oilers yet again :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Macheteops

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
His numbers are starting to fall off, now definitely on pace for fewer than 19 goal season, he's actually not much higher than last year. Was at one point on pace for 30 goals so he's really fallen off.

The only positive I guess is he'll be easier to resign most likely.

Reactions: nally

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
His numbers are starting to fall off, now definitely on pace for fewer than 19 goal season, he's actually not much higher than last year. Was at one point on pace for 30 goals so he's really fallen off.

The only positive I guess is he'll be easier to resign most likely.
The smart play is to try and get him and Yamo on the cheapest 1 year deals they can. Next year the cap opens back up and we’ll have a better idea where they are at.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The smart play is to try and get him and Yamo on the cheapest 1 year deals they can. Next year the cap opens back up and we’ll have a better idea where they are at.

That isn't very smart actually because if they have good years, then they're going to ask for 5-6 million or more and whatever cap space you thought you had goes bye bye. You have to give Bouchard a raise that summer too.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
That isn't very smart actually because if they have good years, then they're going to ask for 5-6 million or more and whatever cap space you thought you had goes bye bye. You have to give Bouchard a raise that summer too.
It’s better than paying them more now and not getting a starting goalie for next year or not be able to keep Kane. The scenario your discussing is only a problem if they both have good years and if they do then that’s a good problem to have.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It’s better than paying them more now and not getting a starting goalie for next year or not be able to keep Kane. The scenario your discussing is only a problem if they both have good years and if they do then that’s a good problem to have.

I have a really, really bad feeling Holland's "big summer move" is going to be bailing St. Louis out of the Jordan Binnington contract after they extend Ville Husso for like $4.5 million per. He did Chicago a favor last year, this year maybe he makes St. Louis' dreams come true.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I have a really, really bad feeling Holland's "big summer move" is going to be bailing St. Louis out of the Jordan Binnington contract after they extend Ville Husso for like $4.5 million per. He did Chicago a favor last year, this year maybe he makes St. Louis' dreams come true.
I can’t see it. I think it’s more likely we go for a young cheap goalie looking to rebound like Georgiev. It’s not the sexy play but with him skinner and smith assuming we can’t dump him they can try to come up with a decent tandem. The cap just doesn’t work for us to go after a big dollar goalie. Unless it’s some blockbuster trade.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I can’t see it. I think it’s more likely we go for a young cheap goalie looking to rebound like Georgiev. It’s not the sexy play but with him skinner and smith assuming we can’t dump him they can try to come up with a decent tandem. The cap just doesn’t work for us to go after a big dollar goalie. Unless it’s some blockbuster trade.

Or Matt Murray. Which probably would be a little less dumb but still rife with risk. Can totally see him doing Foegele or Kassian for Murray once he strikes out predictably on Husso.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

The smart play is to sign Kane before either

If Yamo truly has found consistency...then Yamo.

If there's enough $ left, then JP

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
JP is our 2nd best playdriver (only behind McDavid, who may be the best of the millenium) and 3rd best forward overall. He just improves every line significantly. The thing is if he even gets to league average finishing, which he usually was at prior to this season, suddenly he's worth 9 mil AAV. Holland needs to sign him as soon as possible, he'll be vastly underpaid with high probability.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Who is saying Puljujarvi is soft ?
Just read up a little bit. Bobby went on a bit of a tear that was damn near perfectly timed considering what a force JP has been. Just the usual Puljujarvi magpies that make a ton of racket anytime Jesse struggles a little bit. You’d think after this many years they’d find a new player to cheer against…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad