Player Discussion Jesse Puljujarvi Part 11: Solid Return Season Completed, How Does Next Season Go For the Big Finn?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
IMO he hasn't had the same wheels the last number of games. I wonder if he might be nursing an injury?

I haven't seen the games lately but from what I read he had some wheels in this game so my guess is he started to think too much when he was lectured by McDavid. Knowing how hard he tried to play a game that would please McD I think it's possible that episode and failing to score after that got into his head.

Reactions: PulYou and nabob

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
There's really no way of knowing what happened on the bench between McDavid and Pulju, so let's try to tone down the assumptions a little bit.

Regardless, it's great to see Pulju with a bounce-back game against Vegas.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Not true. Jesse's future ...either where he ends up in the line up or if he stays on the team beyond this year hangs in the balance. Next training camp the challenges for RW will be epic. Stumble this season and/or a prospect (Bourgault, Savoie) blows the doors off....and Jesse might be playing third line ...or traded in a package for a final piece we need in the first half of next year.

Jesse better grab one of the assistants and start coming an hour earlier and work on his timing and positioning. Obviously the front liner has spoken and Jesse needs to put in the work to do what needs to be done.

Not saying things will continue at this rate but normaly 'I'm here' Kassian got three points and could have had 4 or 5 with better timing/brain. Everybody is looking.
Teams are adapting to the tic tac toe of the power play and cross ice passing by collapsing/using active sticks and sending one man out at a time. There are fewer opportunities and McD and Drais are changing their game a bit. The Bison King on the wing has got to close at a certain percentage rate.
Yeah you’re over reacting.

Reactions: Dempsey and PulYou

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Not a big thing but Mikko Rantanen was asked about who he'd like to play with in the Olympics and he replied:

- Damn there's so many good players. Barkov, Aho, Hintz. There's three pretty good centers who to play with.
- Then the Bison to the left side to grind. Bison to the other side and then it doesn't really matter who the center is.
- Put that to the magazine!
- It's been really nice to see that Puljujärvi has played well. That he's found his role. Goes to the net and scores goals.

https://www.is.fi/nhl/art-2000008446944.html

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
The EJ wrote about Jesse: Won a ton of battles including 4 that led to Oilers Grade A looks. Overall he was involved in 9 Oilers chances vs. 0 against, and was rewarded once when his quick stretch pass set RNH in the clear for Edmonton’s only goal of the night.

So in the last two games the scoring chances have been 16-0 while he's been on the ice.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The EJ wrote about Jesse: Won a ton of battles including 4 that led to Oilers Grade A looks. Overall he was involved in 9 Oilers chances vs. 0 against, and was rewarded once when his quick stretch pass set RNH in the clear for Edmonton’s only goal of the night.

So in the last two games the scoring chances have been 16-0 while he's been on the ice.

Even when he’s not producing he’s been mostly solid. After adding Hyman this should be the framework for the top 9

Hyman - McDavid - Pulju
Nuge - Draisaitl- X
Foegele - X - Yamamoto

Mix and match as necessary depending on who fills those x holes. McLeod might be ready for 3C next season, but should be on the 4th line for now (with actual playing minutes, or back on the AHL if not getting the minutes in the NHL)

Reactions: yakcity1064

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Even when he’s not producing he’s been mostly solid. After adding Hyman this should be the framework for the top 9

Hyman - McDavid - Pulju
Nuge - Draisaitl- X
Foegele - X - Yamamoto

Mix and match as necessary depending on who fills those x holes. McLeod might be ready for 3C next season, but should be on the 4th line for now (with actual playing minutes, or back on the AHL if not getting the minutes in the NHL)

Not bad but I'd also like to see him with Nuge and Drai. Nuge and him had some chemistry years ago (although neither produced enough ES goals at the time) and Jesse's pass to him against the Hurricans was nice.

If Hyman's injured (which I still don't hope) it'll be interesting to see if Pulju gets more PP time. As I've written the net presence isn't exactly the place I want for him, but he seems to be doing fine there so if the coaches feel that's were he's of most help so be it.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Hyman - McDavid - Pulju
Nuge - Draisaitl- X
Foegele - X - Yamamoto

I think MacLeod should be on a 3rd line, but with a guy that can help the ine ot lift it, like Nuge.
Nuge/MacLeod (dont know hos gonna center) Yamamoto. There you go, you have your 3rd line.
Fogele goes with Draisatil and... ... oh shit.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Not bad but I'd also like to see him with Nuge and Drai. Nuge and him had some chemistry years ago (although neither produced enough ES goals at the time) and Jesse's pass to him against the Hurricans was nice.

If Hyman's injured (which I still don't hope) it'll be interesting to see if Pulju gets more PP time. As I've written the net presence isn't exactly the place I want for him, but he seems to be doing fine there so if the coaches feel that's were he's of most help so be it.

I’d like to see that configuration as well but I don’t think we’ll see it given much of a shot under Tippett. He doesn’t seem to have much patience for lines building chemistry. Undoubtedly Pulju will have the spot of Hyman is out. It would be nice to put him in a shooters spot but he’s very good at the net front as well. His first goal of the year was perfect for how he reads to back up a bit and wire one in as well. So almost a “hybrid” net front type

I think MacLeod should be on a 3rd line, but with a guy that can help the ine ot lift it, like Nuge.
Nuge/MacLeod (dont know hos gonna center) Yamamoto. There you go, you have your 3rd line.

I like what we’ve seen from McLeod as 3C but I’d also like to see him ease into that spot instead

Reactions: Whyme

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I’d like to see that configuration as well but I don’t think we’ll see it given much of a shot under Tippett. He doesn’t seem to have much patience for lines building chemistry. Undoubtedly Pulju will have the spot of Hyman is out. It would be nice to put him in a shooters spot but he’s very good at the net front as well. His first goal of the year was perfect for how he reads to back up a bit and wire one in as well. So almost a “hybrid” net front type

I like what we’ve seen from McLeod as 3C but I’d also like to see him ease into that spot instead

I dont like to get a guy grow and get onvolved into the team on a line that gets 8 min a night, and with the worst talent. And on a line where the task is to bang and create chaos. Its not the best for McLeods developement.
You can blame TIppet for this.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I dont like to get a guy grow and get onvolved into the team on a line that gets 8 min a night, and with the worst talent. And on a line where the task is to bang and create chaos. Its not the best for McLeods developement.

Agreed 100%. He might be better off in the AHL to get minutes but I’m not sure how much he has left to learn there. Maybe some time as a winger in the top 9 would be best

Reactions: VainGretzky

yakcity1064

Sep 7, 2016
Banging and creating chaos could make him a pretty effective player with his speed though..

russianoiler

Jun 22, 2016
Russia

Foegele goes with Drai and Pulju. You can run:

Hyman-McD-Kass
Foegele-Drai-Pulju
RNH-McLeod-Yamo

Not ideal, but something. In perfect world, on deadline you go hunt for better RW and 3C. Something like Radulov & Pavelski/Kessel & Getzlaf/Rakell & Getzlaf/Kessel & Tierney etc....

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Foegele goes with Drai and Pulju. You can run:

Hyman-McD-Kass
Foegele-Drai-Pulju
RNH-McLeod-Yamo

Not ideal, but something. In perfect world, on deadline you go hunt for better RW and 3C. Something like Radulov & Pavelski/Kessel & Getzlaf/Rakell & Getzlaf/Kessel & Tierney etc....

No trust for MacLeod? Yeah. Holland is alleric to giving youth a chance to grow, he wants to press them back to the backseat. But the 4th line is unideal for MacLeod to grow into. I feel here is a rift between Holland and Tippet, they want diffrent ways to grew a team.
Holland want to pressback MacLeod. Well, AHL is certainly not the place to be for a rookie in his best age for growing into the NHL.
I want just a 3RW, rather a top 6. Yamamoto should not be locked in as a top6 RW right now.

Holland can throw away a 2nd and a 3rd this year (I hope he has learned from his disastrous 2 2nds for a borderline 3rd liner as AA)
for a top6 RW, and ilers will be fine.

if you want, throw in Lavoie and Safin, they seems not to be in OIlers future plans anyway.

Hyman McComplicated Defensive smart RW and OKish Offensivly. trade for it NOOOOOOW (not Evander Kane)
Foegele Draisaitl Pulju
MacLeod Nuge Yamamoto (I solved everything in one line. READ THIS TIPPET!!)
Benson/Sceviour Shore Kassian. Identitiy/mayhem/6 mina night line - whatever you want. They arent here for scoring a lot of goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad