Why did Quebec not get a team?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I mean, last season Winnipeg, with the smallest arena in the league, didn't sell out. Unfortunately, Quebec doesn't have the corporate base of other contending marketplaces. It sucks but basically the entire lower bowl of the Penguin games and all of the boxes (obviously) are filled with corporate sheep. The "real fans" were priced out of hockey when the game transitioned from strong niche sport to "big 4" in the late 90's early 2000's. My uncle was paying 20$ a game in 1992 for a level A seat and it was 120$ a ticket in 2000 --- those levels of inflation don't exist (well, they haven't for a while) in the everyday marketplace. (btw, that equivalent ticket is now 300 bucks).

In 1988, my uncle paid 10$ a ticket. Think about THAT. His first season he paid about 800 for tickets and his last season -- just ten years later -- he paid $7,790 ! (95$ a ticket). Btw, a dollar in 1988 was worth 1.38 in 1998 so, if his tickets had merely kept up with inflation, he should have been spending roughly $1,132 for his tickets in 1998. Instead, 1 NHL dollar in 1988 was worth 9.74 NHL dollars in 1998 :)
This is a great post. I can say that I remember taking my younger brother to hockey games in Winnipeg and the upper deck tickets were no more than $30 for a pair.

But you hit a critical point. 1988 there was only 2 players in the league making over a million dollars per year. Gretzky and Lemieux.

Working class, beer drinking, rowdy fans could fill the rinks. Which is why the Nordiques outdrew the Bruins the 80s.

With Bettman the landscape changed. New arenas started popping up, with more luxury suites. Anaheim, San Jose, St. Louis, Boston, Chicago, Philly, Buffalo, Tampa. They became the model for every other team in the league to follow, as a source of greater revenue, and those teams with old character rinks, had to adapt, or relocate (Winnipeg, Minnesota, Hartford, Quebec).

The Canadian dollar was no longer used to pay players in Canada.

And more importantly the big players (owners) in the league started investing in players to win, and salaries skyrocketed, and subsequently ticket prices did too, and they kept rising to a point where blue collar workers were no longer the targeted audience.

Reactions: Richard

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
This is a great post. I can say that I remember taking my younger brother to hockey games in Winnipeg and the upper deck tickets were no more than $30 for a pair.

But you hit a critical point. 1988 there was only 2 players in the league making over a million dollars per year. Gretzky and Lemieux.

Working class, beer drinking, rowdy fans could fill the rinks. Which is why the Nordiques outdrew the Bruins the 80s.

With Bettman the landscape changed. New arenas started popping up, with more luxury suites. Anaheim, San Jose, St. Louis, Boston, Chicago, Philly, Buffalo, Tampa. They became the model for every other team in the league to follow, as a source of greater revenue, and those teams with old character rinks, had to adapt, or relocate (Winnipeg, Minnesota, Hartford, Quebec).

The Canadian dollar was no longer used to pay players in Canada.

And more importantly the big players (owners) in the league started investing in players to win, and salaries skyrocketed, and subsequently ticket prices did too, and they kept rising to a point where blue collar workers were no longer the targeted audience.
Exactly right -- my uncle purchased season tickets after the Penguins signed Mario to a one-year 2M contract. Then kept them when they signed Mario to like a 12M five year deal or something. HUGE money then - nothing now.

From 1988-1994 the average fan was priced out of NHL sporting events.

Baseball and Football have larger seating capacities, but both have run out of "real" fans in the last two decades, I'd argue that the NHL just reached that dubious distinction first.

Unless you have strong corporate support it doesn't matter.

Reactions: voyageur

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
NHL is banking on the Canadien revenu to develop the US sun belt.
If they can reproduce what they did in Florida it can work.....
NHL would never have done what they did in Arizona up north.
All those fans currently saying bla bla bla on Canadian dollar etc...hockey is still currently more popular in Canada than USA... despite 350M population versus 35M. Il might change, probably will change in the futur but not now.!!!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
“Why did Quebec not get a team?”

Montreal is Quebec’s team. Sorry bro 😐
That's kind of like saying that L..A is California's team, and there should have never been a team in San Jose or Anaheim. Or the Rangers are New York's team, why go to Buffalo? Or Long Island?

Realistically Hamilton and QC could support teams. Because the market of hockey fans in the region is enough to sustain them.

But we know what the objective is. Daly stated it. 25 U.S teams. 32 team league. vs. 29/30, 29/30, 32/32 and whatever the MLS numbers are (I know Canada has 3 teams). It's marketing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad