Tribute Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Goodbye and Good Luck part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Nice goal I agree OC, but in the same breath TampaBay had Maxime Lagace in their net not an NHL caliber goalie.

Can't wait for the real season to begin.

Tampa had only 3 nhl players on their roster (Sergachev, Joseph and Colton)

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
So making the same mistake that we did with Aho. It would be a gift to the Sens. It would take far more than to get him. That's about what he should get now. It would have to be 12 so they cannot match it.

it wasn’t a mistake. The entire world knew it at the time $8.4 mil would NOT get you Aho. Just Bergevin and his staff too dumb to make a better offer. We fans knew it would take at least $11 million per season. They banked on signing bonus. All in all that offer sheet Bergevin made was a joke and made the hockey world laugh at the Canadiens.

Reactions: zeeto and Runner77

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
They did (and it was a great run), but do you think they get past the 2nd round if they had to face Tampa like Carolina did?

Carolina was 3rd overall in points last season and ended up facing a great team in Tampa in the 2nd round. Carolina is a better team than Montreal, I wish that wasn’t true but it’s realistic.
That's right Carolina was 3rd overall. Vegas was tied for 1st overall. Guess who beat Vegas in the playoffs?

Reactions: dralaf

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
it wasn’t a mistake. The entire world knew it at the time $8.4 mil would NOT get you Aho. Just Bergevin and his staff too dumb to make a better offer. We fans knew it would take at least $11 million per season. They banked on signing bonus. All in all that offer sheet Bergevin made was a joke and made the hockey world laugh at the Canadiens.
If I remember correctly , the first page of that OS thread people said that offer was shit.
I don't know what Bergevin was thinking

Reactions: Runner77

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
That's right Carolina was 3rd overall. Vegas was tied for 1st overall. Guess who beat Vegas in the playoffs?

Sure the Habs had a great run, I still don’t think they are contenders this season. I do think Carolina is though. We’ll see but if given even odds on who does better this season I wouldn’t put money on the Habs.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If I remember correctly , the first page of that OS thread people said that offer was shit.
I don't know what Bergevin was thinking
Dundon was rumored to have lost significant amount of his wealth by pouring it into the XFL, which went bankrupt- the belief was he didn’t have ca$h at hand or willing to spend for a bonus heavy deal that included something like $23M in bonus payments over 12-month period

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Sure the Habs had a great run, I still don’t think they are contenders this season. I do think Carolina is though. We’ll see but if given even odds on who does better this season I wouldn’t put money on the Habs.
I guess you haven't kept up-to-date with the losses Carolina suffered in the off-season.

Reactions: aresknights

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

That's I meant lol. It was a mistake giving him so little on a offersheet. That is how I drew the comparison with Tkachuk.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I was just following the chain of comments.
Those 3 were in and we were not , nothing to say. Same shit as when we ''made playoffs'' during 2020 covid
No, it's not the same shit. In these playoffs the Habs beat the Leafs, Jets and Golden Knights. You want to diminish their accomplishment, you'll have to do better than tell me it's the same shit.

Reactions: dralaf

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Dundon was rumored to have lost significant amount of his wealth by pouring it into the XFL, which went bankrupt- the belief was he didn’t have ca$h at hand or willing to spend for a bonus heavy deal that included something like $23M in bonus payments over 12-month period
dude he's worth 1.13b , that offer was just low-ball. Bergevin did not want to give more first picks that's pretty much it.
We knew it was gonna get matched in 10sec.
Same goes for KK we knew 30sec in Habs wouldnt match

Reactions: zeeto and Runner77

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
No, it's not the same shit. In these playoffs the Habs beat the Leafs, Jets and Golden Knights. You want to diminish their accomplishment, you'll have to do better than tell me it's the same shit.
Their poor result with or without KK this season will just prove my point.
We are not better in the center line that we were last season.
We are not better this season without Weber than with Savard and Wideman
Another surgery for Price.

My point will prove itself. Habs during regular seasons are completely lost in the last 5 years.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I guess you haven't kept up-to-date with the losses Carolina suffered in the off-season.

I’m aware, I just think they have some really good players on the team still (who could also take it to another level). I also don’t think the Habs have turned into perennial contenders despite the awesome playoff run. Carolina was on pace last season for 117 points last season in a division with TB and Florida while Montreal was on pace for 86. That’s a big gap to close.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
dude he's worth 1.13b , that offer was just low-ball. Bergevin did not want to give more first picks that's pretty much it.
We knew it was gonna get matched in 10sec.
Same goes for KK we knew 30sec in Habs wouldnt match
The dude is known to operate all his businesses on the cheap, refuses bonus payments to employees.

That’s why both MB and Molson focused their PC on the bonus structure of Aho’s contract

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

What would have been dumb is to have offered Aho 11 million and won the offer.

Why people can't grasp Bergevin's strategy is beyond me. He took a swing at getting a good player on a reasonable annual salary by front loading a contract in hopes that a notoriously cheap owner might balk at matching.

Offering RFA's well above market value is just bad asset management which is why you rarely see it. Dundon just made a low percentage gamble that may very well hurt his team solely for the sake of revenge.

It is hilarious that people believe they have some insight that would have won the rights to Aho by grossly overpaying for him as though MB never thought of that and is kicking himself for the oversight lol.......Bergevin is a quality GM and did not do that because it would have hurt the team.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Overseeing a successful, though unexpected, extended playoff run has its consequences. The run masked some overt deficiencies in this management's decision makings. It bought the current management team time. But it's only borrowed time. Should the Canadiens fail to make the playoffs, which I predict will happen, but not be putrid enough to 'save' their protected first round draft choice, the era of the Idiot Savant will, mercifully, come to a close.

Would have been nice if overseeing a disastrous, and totally expected meidocre team for the previous 4-5 years would have had its consequences too....

Reactions: Bloumeister

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I know this post was in jest.

But for anyone who believes KK was indirectly traded for Dvorak, I don’t see it that way. It just accelerated the timeline for trading for Dvorak.

If the Habs had played their cards right this off-season they would have had both Dvorak and KK.

Absolutely true. KK HAD to be kept as a Hab. ANd for that to happen, they had to do a MUCH better job at developing him. But once you realize how much you screwed up his development, you HAD to give him the 6,1M$ and you HAD to renegotiate when you could a 4X4. And giving him 6,1M$, in order to not look more stupid than they did, they would have HAD to put him in a position to succeed.

In no world that makes sense would getting rid of Danault means having to get rid of JK too. Makes 0 sense. The idea was to improve. You did not. Big fail. Again.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
I knew it! This thread has potential!
:laugh::laugh:
popcorn-eating-popcorn.gif

Reactions: dinodebino
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events