GDT: Canucks Training Camp Thread | FINISHED

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Feb 20, 2013
I would imagine we get most of the cuts soon and the full roster (of healthy players) for the last preseason game.
At this point I would go with:

DeBrusk - EP - Garland
Hoglander - Miller - Boeser
Heinen - Suter - Sprong
Karlsson - Raty - Sherwood
Aman

Hughes - Hronek
Soucy - Myers
Forbort - Desharnais
Friedman, Juulsen

Lankinen
Silovs
Karlsson and Raty have been really good this preseason (Karlsson has had the best underlying numbers on the team), so they make the cut. Lekkerimaki has been good too, but it is probably safest to let him play in Abby to start. Garland deserves to play in the top 6 at least while Joshua and Blueger are out. I think the actual roster will be similar to this but feature PDG over Karlsson.

To make it work with no Poolman on LTIR, the Canucks would have to go to with 11 and 7 and send down Karlsson, Raty, and one of Friedman or Juulsen.

Once Blueger and Joshua are back, you can reunite them with Garland, send down Raty and Karlsson (waiver exempt), and move Sprong onto EPs line:
DeBrusk - EP - Sprong
Hoglander - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Heinen - Suter - Sherwood
Aman
Is an excellent and well-balanced forward group (I could see it being best in the league). The defense (especially the bottom pair) is less good, and the goaltending situation is up in the air, but if Demko returns, and they can trade for a good top 4 dman later in the season (again Hoglander makes sense as trade bait) they are a cup contender.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
it was a really good camp to me.

epd is not a disappointment for me. he's not quite ready for the nhl but he's a lot more ready than your average d+3 3rd rounder. he is good enough to play 19 minutes of pre-season last night against a veteran oiler lineup without just falling apart after a lot of skating over the last two weeks. he was worked as hard as any prospect through this preseason and did not fade. that to me is close.

lekkermaki showed me more than i expected and is where i thought in his development but a better nhl player than i thought. hoglander looked really good early. raty has been unexpectedly solid and is doing it playing centre which is huge.

among the bottom six/ahl veterans most guys played their games and the only disappointments to me were bains and blais. bains to me is a certified ahl player for now and maybe europe bound. if blais is rehabbing a knee he gets a mulligan on being an nhl player. i guess you could say it is disappointing none of last year's ahl guys made a significant step other than raty. i did hope for karlsson, woo and aman to improve but at least they did not play worse.

among the main new ufas, forbort is a concern but not a fire alarm. desharnais looks pretty darn good to me. sprong remains intriguing. heinen and sherwood are low key signings living up to low key expectations. it also appears that, subject to waivers, we have 3 goalies other than demko who could scredibly start nhl games if necessary.

among the prospects and ahl new guys, felton is intriguing, mynio impressed me, and allrikson impressed lots of other people. kudrayetsev played 20 minutes of pretty respectable hockey last night after going mostly under my radar and might be the best of the group. mueller also showed something late in the day i did not see early.

among the established roster players, the main concern is ep40 underwhelming and maybe whatever is ailing miller. i will wait until the real games happen to worry about those things (and about forbort). juulsen has looked pretty bad to me in preseason games but it makes sense he does not really play his physical game in preseason so maybe he will pick it up in real games.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Juulsen is so frustrating to watch. Okay defending for periods in a game....but gets burned against going for a stupid hit or read. Those lapses are just too hard to ignore.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I’m a bit surprised they waived PDG for Aman already.

Aman plays the premium position probably the determining factor.

Any like others have said, it would be a major surprise if PDG gets claimed as the claiming team would have to keep him on their NHL roster and most teams have their own PDG types already occupying or vying for the 13th forward role.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
I pretty much agree with a lot of the comments about Bains. Right now he's a classic NHL/AHL tweener. The skill, the size and the skating all there. However, the NHL game is just too fast for him to process at the moment.

Reactions: Nucker101

Feb 20, 2013
Wish Juulsen and Aman were on that list.

Aman is beyond useless. He doesn’t do anything. Quite honestly Studnicka was more useful.
He does one thing really well... 9th in the league last year (min 300 minutes) for lowest xGA/minute.
1727808691195.png

1727808853072.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad