Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -neither elect arbitration (page 16)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
When I see Donny pay Trent before Swayman arbitration ruling then it comes down and it fits ,I feel like Sweeney already knew the numbers .
Ya think?

The fact that if you send Zboril down the 23 man roster fits to the dollar should tell you he knew the numbers months ago when he was signing guys in house to contracts that literally squeak in under the wire.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
So the Bruins could have had him at 2 years at the $3.475M number and only opted for one...how does this make business sense? Sign me up all day for Swayman at $3.475 in 2024-25. I get they may want to sign him long term after this one year but they are going to have to pay him more per year. Makes no contract sense to me.

Reactions: Maine Fan

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So the Bruins could have had him at 2 years at the $3.475M number and only opted for one...how does this make business sense? Sign me up all day for Swayman at $3.475 in 2024-25. I get they may want to sign him long term after this one year but they are going to have to pay him more per year. Makes no contract sense to me.

Because they want to lock him up long term next summer.

$Y for 8 years after the 2023-2024 season is better than $Z for 8 years after the 2024-2025 season.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Why not get him for two years at $3.475M then do a long term deal? Bruins are worried that will piss off Swaymans camp? He will be getting a lot more than $3.475 per year at that point. You are probably looking at $5-$6M per year.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Why not get him for two years at $3.475M then do a long term deal? Bruins are worried that will piss off Swaymans camp? He will be getting a lot more than $3.475 per year at that point. You are probably looking at $5-$6M per year.
Because they believe he will come cheaper long term after next season than if they wait until 2024-2025.

Ullmark also comes off the books in 2024-2025. At that point, Swayman has them by the proverbial balls because the only goalies they'll have under contract will be Reid Dyck if he signs his ELC and Philip Svedeback if he signs his ELC. Brandon Bussi will be an RFA with arbitration rights.

Bruins are thinking long term plan here. We as fans, always look short term. Not the way to do business.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Screenshot_20230802_181805_Instagram.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Mad Dr Pepper

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
When I see Donny pay Trent before Swayman arbitration ruling then it comes down and it fits ,I feel like Sweeney already knew the numbers .
To be fair...

When arbitration comps came out... most people here knew as well.

The end result wasn't far off from just splitting it down the middle.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Today’s Globe:

“In the hours leading up to the June draft, Sweeney cautioned a Globe reporter who surmised Swayman was in line for a “good bump” in salary that could put a pinch on the club’s cap. “Again,” he said, “in all due respect with everyone doing their own research, you do need to be a little careful with what your comp [comparable salary] and what the rules state a comp is, so … [Assistant GM] Evan [Gold] does a lot of work on that regard.” The Bruins knew that their $2 million arbitration offer would not get it done. It is standard practice to lowball at the table. But the award at $3.475 million had to be some $500K-$800K higher than their projections …”

Reactions: hrdpuk

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Today’s Globe:

“In the hours leading up to the June draft, Sweeney cautioned a Globe reporter who surmised Swayman was in line for a “good bump” in salary that could put a pinch on the club’s cap. “Again,” he said, “in all due respect with everyone doing their own research, you do need to be a little careful with what your comp [comparable salary] and what the rules state a comp is, so … [Assistant GM] Evan [Gold] does a lot of work on that regard.” The Bruins knew that their $2 million arbitration offer would not get it done. It is standard practice to lowball at the table. But the award at $3.475 million had to be some $500K-$800K higher than their projections …

I don't believe that part.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I find it hard to believe that after listening to all the negative stuff said by the Bruins about Swayman that Swayman accepts it a business as usual. I bet he goes to arbitration again next season.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I find it hard to believe that after listening to all the negative stuff said by the Bruins about Swayman that Swayman accepts it a business as usual. I bet he goes to arbitration again next season.

Why? It’s quite literally a business. He’s an adult and realizes the company wants to try and get him at a certain value and his agent is trying to get him at another value.

I’m also pretty sure he is well aware the arbitration process the team goes low and the player goes high.

I think some fans think far too much into this whole process. The players and teams know what to expect because there’s dozens of examples every year to look and realize this is the norm.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Fantastic podcast. Touches on his draft story and how he thought he was a Leaf, his relationship with Linus and Tuukka, why he chose U Maine and how getting cut in Jrs. after being promised a starting role shaped him.

He's beein playing gold with Tuukka a lot this summer and says Tuukka has been 100% in his corner since he joined the team and he and Linus plan to continue the hugs b/c it has been something he's done since college.

He also said that he did not go back to Alaska this year and his dad moved to Arizona so he no longer has family in Alaska.

Reactions: missingchicklet

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Fantastic podcast. Touches on his draft story and how he thought he was a Leaf, his relationship with Linus and Tuukka, why he chose U Maine and how getting cut in Jrs. after being promised a starting role shaped him.

He's beein playing gold with Tuukka a lot this summer and says Tuukka has been 100% in his corner since he joined the team and he and Linus plan to continue the hugs b/c it has been something he's done since college.

He also said that he did not go back to Alaska this year and his dad moved to Arizona so he no longer has family in Alaska.

Swayman demanding a trade to the Coyotes incoming on 98.5 and then of course here…

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

In two full seasons, Bruins goalie Jeremy Swayman has developed into one of the most promising netminders in the NHL.
But at one point, the 24-year-old Swayman thought he was going to be playing for one of the Bruins’ top rivals, the Toronto Maple Leafs.
During an appearance on the “Empty Netters” podcast last week, Swayman noted that he kept his options open while watching the 2017 NHL Draft from his home in Alaska.
“I was sitting at my breakfast table with my dad, we were four hours behind in Alaska,” Swayman said. “I knew I wasn’t going in the first round with it being my first year eligible for the draft. There was a lot of hope, but I was a C-rated prospect, so it wasn’t necessary [to go to the draft.]”

One club that regularly kicked the tires on the young goalie were the Maple Leafs. And with Toronto in need of reinforcements between the pipes, Swayman’s agent thought that the Original Six franchise was going to come calling in the latter rounds.

“I got a text from my agent saying, ‘I know Toronto was hot on you during the year. So just be by your phone,’ ” Swayman said. “So every time Toronto came up, we were like, ‘All right, maybe we’ll get a call.’ ”

But when Toronto landed on the clock in the fourth round, it opted to select another goalie, Ian Scott.

“It was like, ‘All right, maybe not this year,’ that kind of thing,” said Swayman. “Kind of bummed, but at the same time hopeful still ‘cause I talked to other teams.”

Swayman did not have to wait long for another Original Six team to come calling. Just one pick after Toronto selected Scott, the Bruins selected Swayman with the 111th overall pick.

Because of some Wi-Fi issues, Swayman said, he received news of his selection from a friend, who called from the draft in Chicago.

“I get a text and it’s from my buddy, actually from Alaska,” Swayman recalled. “He was at the draft and he said, ‘Congrats Sway!’ and I’m like ‘What?’ ”

After finally getting word from both his agent and the Bruins, Swayman said he and his family were able to celebrate all day, given that it was still morning in Alaska when he got word.

“It was totally unexpected, which is the coolest part,” Swayman said. “I think because you’re so devastated for one second and the next second it’s like a new world opens up. That was a pretty cool experience to share with them, and I’m glad it turned out the way it did.”

The Bruins haven’t regretted the decision. In 88 games in the NHL, Swayman is 54-23-7 with a 2.24 GAA and a .920 save percentage.

After being awarded a one-year, $3.475 million contract following an arbitration hearing this month, Swayman is expected to again be part of one of the top goalie tandems in the league alongside Linus Ullmark.

Meanwhile, Scott did not pan out for the Maple Leafs. The Calgary native fought injuries and made only two appearances in the AHL before announcing his retirement from pro hockey last July.

This is not the first time the Bruins have benefitted from the Maple Leafs when it comes to plucking potential franchise goalies from their rival’s grasp. Famously, Tuukka Rask was selected by Toronto with the 21st pick in the 2005 draft, only to be dealt to Boston in June 2006 for fellow goalie Andrew Raycroft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad