Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -neither elect arbitration (page 16)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I don't know if they tried to move him this summer, but that is what I was alluding to somewhat inartfully in my posts about this. I would have liked to see them move Ullmark (if that is the plan) this summer and paid Sway in dollars and term instead having to go through this all over again next summer.
I think that was the plan but the cap was too tight leaguewide and it was a tough goalie market. I think they’re biding their time now, and will move Ullmark by this time next year.

I’d love to see them move Ullmark at the deadline, even if they’re on pace for 105 points like projected. Get a premium for him.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Just as predicted.

@mouser re your question in the other thread, Friedman always announces when one party is seeking 2 years as opposed to one like he did with Frederic. Otherwise it's a one year deal.

The plan is to lock him up long term next season. Two-year deal did not work in their plan.
Interesting. So the thought would be that they could lock him up long-term for less if they negotiated that deal in the upcoming off-season rather than the one after?

Hope it pays off.

Reactions: JCRO

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Interesting. So the thought would be that they could lock him up long-term for less if they negotiated that deal in the upcoming off-season rather than the one after?

Hope it pays off.
My understanding is that they are working towards that. But they can't enter into a contract extension until January 1, 2024.

My understanding is also that the Swayman settlement is just short of what the Bruins were offering on a one-year deal in negotiations, so even though this went slightly towards the Swayman side, the Bruins ultimately won.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I think that was the plan but the cap was too tight leaguewide and it was a tough goalie market. I think they’re biding their time now, and will move Ullmark by this time next year.

I’d love to see them move Ullmark at the deadline, even if they’re on pace for 105 points like projected. Get a premium for him.
you don't see goalies move at the deadline very often. after ryan miller went to STL, he talked about
the transition for a goalie being a lot harder than it is for a skater.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
you don't see goalies move at the deadline very often. after ryan miller went to STL, he talked about
the transition for a goalie being a lot harder than it is for a skater.
Agree. I highly doubt they would move Linus at the deadline, which would be quite disruptive to the goaltending dynamics.

The time to move a goaltender is the off season, which allows them the necessary time to adjust and install another tender.

Reactions: Gordoff

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I can't remember how the rules work with these things - is he now unable to be traded for a period of time?

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I don't know if they tried to move him this summer, but that is what I was alluding to somewhat inartfully in my posts about this. I would have liked to see them move Ullmark (if that is the plan) this summer and paid Sway in dollars and term instead having to go through this all over again next summer.

I think Sweeney was pretty keen to kick as many cans down the road as he could this summer, and for the most part not commit to many new multi-year deals. He's treading water. At present, the Bruins have 11 roster players who'll be FAs next year if not re-signed or traded by then, they'll get the overages and part of Reilly's buyout off the books, and they have a few very tradable guys like DeBrusk and Ullmark should they want to clear things out even more.

Next year the GM will have much more power and room to change and remould the roster as he sees fit, with a better knowledge of where exactly the team is at following the end of the 2010s/Bergeron era, and I think electing to offer Swayman only one year is part of that plan. Don's keeping his hands as free as possible to determine what he does in 2024.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Nice move to do just the one year. No feelings hurt, he's definitely the starter in 2024-25.

What's the next deal? 5x5?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kegs

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
I like to see what DS did signing guys to no more than 2 year deals and wait for the following season to make the changes and while giving rookies time to make their play

Reactions: Gordoff

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
What makes no sense is the Bruins had the option of signing him at that rate for 2 years and only opted for 1?

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
SO consensus seems to be this was a good, reasonable deal for player and team?

Any negatives? Does this signal to Ullmark...keep on doing well but we're likely to shop you around prior to 24-25?

Reactions: PlayMakers

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
When I see Donny pay Trent before Swayman arbitration ruling then it comes down and it fits ,I feel like Sweeney already knew the numbers .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad