Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Hilarious IMO that people seem more annoyed with Swayman's potential ask than what the billionaires are making with this team and managements reluctance/incompetence to have a deal done by now. The Saros extension was easy and done a year in advance and you know why? He short changed himself.

They gave Pasta 400k less than the highest winger, give Swayman 9.5 mil aav over 8 years. Done deal

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenian24

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Why would we calculate this with Zadorov’s salary rather than Lohrei’s. Other than the sensationalism of the bigger number?

Because I see lohrei and Lindholm as top 4 and zadorov as the 3rd LHD

But that’s a different conversation for a different thread

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Since @dugg133 ignored this the last time I asked, I'll ask again and offer it to everyone to answer:

Is anyone here against giving Sway $10 mill per for a term of 4-8 years?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Since @dugg133 ignored this the last time I asked, I'll ask again and offer it to everyone to answer:

I'm hoping they can get the deal done around 8-9 million. I mean, at the end of the day if it takes 10 to get him signed long term, so be it. He's just too important to the team.

I don't want one of the worst goalies in the NHL in the crease on opening night.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Which is a shame because I prefer the serious posts DKH used to post before he went satirical. At one time he was can’t miss reading for me.
You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Good responses are fostered by good posts. Without that, you get what you get.

But I love satirical Dan. That shit cracks me up.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

It seems too high to me. I wouldn’t be burning the barn down but 8.5 feels like the right number to me. Less then 8.5 on 8 years would be a win. More would be a loss.

Reactions: Gordoff

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

Against it, nah - but ideally he's in the range of 8 to 9 mil for me, can't really cry over an extra mil or 500k. If they go thay high though it should be max years

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Why is it high? Specifics please.
You’ll have better responses than mine. I tend to agree with the thought process of using Rask as the primary comparable with an adjusted pay rate of 9.5 per year. Rask has accomplished slightly more in my opinion. If it was exactly 9.5 I wouldn’t bat an eye. I couldn’t personally justify more but it won’t ruin my day unless it’s 12 per year and we start shipping out roster players.

Reactions: Gordoff

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I'd prefer something at $9.5 or lower, but I wouldn't freak out if it was $10 million. I think Sweeney & Co are looking at Sorokin's $8.2 million deal, maybe even Hellebuyck's $8.5 million for where they want to be long-term

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Sure that makes complete sense, but why and how do you reach your 8-9 mill number?

Okay, but how do you reach that number and why?

$10M because that is what elite, game changing goalies deserve. 4 years because its a balance between giving Swayman respect and not leaving the team high and dry just in case his game goes south. 8 years @ $10M is an eternity if he doesn't dominate. If he remains awesome for the 4 years - re-up for another 4 and continue to make him the highest paid goalie in the league.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Sure that makes complete sense, but why and how do you reach your 8-9 mill number?

Okay, but how do you reach that number and why?
I see him just a step below the top guys right now, mostly due to lack of a starters load so far. Obviously you are paying him for what you think he'll be at 10 mil, but I have troubles paying him much more than guys like Helle/Vasi who have been consistently two of the best year-to-year.

Something a bit more than Sorokin is what I'd deem fair given the somewhat similar number of games/age/stats as Sway when he signed his contract plus the cap raising bumping him a bit more than Sorokin.

Again I can live with 10 mil since it isn't that much more than what I'd consider fair

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
How is that obvious? Because my avatar says "Sway Day" in it? I haven't even said anything about management LMAO.

As for the rest, what's a huge slice? Again looking at how Sweeney handled Rask in nearly the same exact situation, Swayman would be looking at a $9.5 million deal on 8yrs.....that's not far off from the rumors $10 million he wants (which hasn't been confirmed by any reputable source). If you want to talk about signing in the next few years, who are you worried about internally? Whose that guy that you look at us needing to re-sign and feel like Swayman signing a big contract hurts our chances to re-sign that player.
I am glad you are not in control of negotiations, future signings do not have to be internal but upgrades to what we already have. Their is always room for improvement if your hands are not tied with no Cap space.

A top RW would not hurt.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You’ll have better responses than mine. I tend to agree with the thought process of using Rask as the primary comparable with an adjusted pay rate of 9.5 per year. Rask has accomplished slightly more in my opinion. If it was exactly 9.5 I wouldn’t bat an eye. I couldn’t personally justify more but it won’t ruin my day unless it’s 12 per year and we start shipping out roster players.
Actually I won't. And it's because the concept of comps is flawed and biased. It's arbitrary. If you're Boston, and you think he's a 6 mill per year guy, your comps and stats to back it up are going to be pulled from players in that range. If you're Sway and you view yourself as a $10 mill per guy, your comps and stats are going to be taken from dudes in that range.

In reality, it's bullshit. The comps don't matter because it's on the team and the player to come to a solution that works for both sides. And once that's happened, then you'll see what the real comps are.

In my opinion. he's young and on the rise. I'd want the team to get him for a 4 year 8-8.5 mill per year kind of deal. If he wants a slightly higher AAV but less years, it's not a huge issue. If he wants a longer term and more security, then I'd hope he's reasonable to concede something on his end like a lower AAV.

Either way, they need to negotiate and ignore the comps they're pushing because neither side is going to suddenly agree the other party is right and they had it wrong. :laugh:

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I am glad you are not in control of negotiations, future signings do not have to be internal but upgrades to what we already have. Their is always room for improvement if your hands are not tied with no Cap space.

A top RW would not hurt.

Do you know how often those high end UFA's make it to the market? Very rarely. Signing Swayman to a big contract doesn't hurt your long term ability to sign other players.....just like signing McAvoy & Pasrnak to big money deals didn't hurt our ability.....or TBL having Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov & Vasi signed to big deals didn't hurt their ability to bring guys in

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Actually I won't. And it's because the concept of comps is flawed and biased. It's arbitrary. If you're Boston, and you think he's a 6 mill per year guy, your comps and stats to back it up are going to be pulled from players in that range. If you're Sway and you view yourself as a $10 mill per guy, your comps and stats are going to be taken from dudes in that range.

In reality, it's bullshit. The comps don't matter because it's on the team and the player to come to a solution that works for both sides. And once that's happened, then you'll see what the real comps are.

In my opinion. he's young and on the rise. I'd want the team to get him for a 4 year 8-8.5 mill per year kind of deal. If he wants a slightly higher AAV but less years, it's not a huge issue. If he wants a longer term and more security, then I'd hope he's reasonable to concede something on his end like a lower AAV.

Either way, they need to negotiate and ignore the comps they're pushing because neither side is going to suddenly agree the other party is right and they had it wrong. :laugh:

I think they matter in a sense that it's each sides starting off point. Neither side expects to get the number they want, but it can at least give both parties an idea of how far off they are. For example let's say the $10 million rumor and that my thought on where Sweeney & Co want to be is accurate. In theory there is a deal to be had between $8.2 million & $10 million on a long term deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad