Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
They paid Rask the equivalent of $9.5m a year in today's cap without ever handling full starter duties.

I love how everyone is all anti corporations and pro employees until it involves pro athletes then all of a sudden it becomes "kiss the boot and be happy with what they give you"

Kiss the boot? Not sure I said that but do you know who the owner of the Bruins is?

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Is that true that it was recommended that they get Korpisalo ? If true that shines a different light on this situation. If true that is an interesting bit of information.

I don’t think so. Ottawa needed the bruins to take back salary in the deal due to cap restraints and korpisalo gave the bruins a veteran backup.

Maybe goalie Bob said he could work with him but I’m not sure if the bruins had another choice either.

Reactions: LiseL and HustleB

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I blame him.

Plenty of players agree to take a bit less to ensure the team has a better outlook to stay competitive in the long term.

He is selfish and greedy, IMO.
I don't mean to be rude, but unless you are a personal acquaintance of him, his agent, or someone very high up in the Bruins organization...... that's a hell of a bold statement.

If you are any of the above, my apologies. Please share as much information as you can. Far too much speculation, rumor spreading, rush to judgement, and guessing going on here to my liking. Your data will be a god send.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
The only concern I have, which I sort of admire Sway for anyway, is that he’s not only doing this for him but for goaltenders in general

That’s a hill he may be willing to die on

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The only concern I have, which I sort of admire Sway for anyway, is that he’s not only doing this for him but for goaltenders in general

That’s a hill he may be willing to die on
Why would he do that? Comparables don’t matter so his contract won’t affect future goalie contracts, right? 😐

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
They paid Rask the equivalent of $9.5m a year in today's cap without ever handling full starter duties.

I love how everyone is all anti corporations and pro employees until it involves pro athletes then all of a sudden it becomes "kiss the boot and be happy with what they give you"

I don’t think it has anything to do with anti corporations/pro employees or anything remotely to do with that.

Fans just realize in a hard cap league there is a finite amount of money they can allocate to certain players before it’s too much where it will hurt winning.

• Love
Reactions: River Meadow

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Does everyone realize the only place the $10M ask has come from is Rich freaking Keefe and it’s even been denied by a few more well placed media members?

Why do you keep saying this? Everyone is aware. Just went back a few pages and no one is really even talking about $10 million except people like you saying “its only rumors”, it’s absurd, and “if the rumors are true”.

You are keeping the $10 million dollar topic alive more than anyone in this thread and the people who share your opinion saying the same thing.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Why do you keep saying this? Everyone is aware. Just went back a few pages and no one is really even talking about $10 million except people like you saying “its only rumors”, it’s absurd, and “if the rumors are true”.

You are keeping the $10 million dollar topic alive more than anyone in this thread and the people who share your opinion saying the same thing.
There was a post like 10 posts up. And the narrative about Swayman being too greedy etc - without explicitly mentioning the $10M ask - is all over this thread. Thanks for being the police though. Not all heroes wear capes.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
There was a post like 10 posts up. And the narrative about Swayman being too greedy etc - without explicitly mentioning the $10M ask - is all over this thread. Thanks for being the police though. Not all heroes wear capes.

The only post 10 posts up is talking about how absurd $10m.

You and like 3 other people just keep ranting about $10 million like people are advocating that the $10 million is valid.

The only people talking about $10 million are the ones like you who are calling it absurd and just rumors.

But you sit here making posts like there’s actually people saying it’s valid.

Nothing to do with policing, you’re just arguing with a crowd who is in the same boat as you weirdly

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
The only post 10 posts up is talking about how absurd $10m.

You and like 3 other people just keep ranting about $10 million like people are advocating that the $10 million is valid.

The only people talking about $10 million are the ones like you who are calling it absurd and just rumors.

But you sit here making posts like there’s actually people saying it’s valid.

Nothing to do with policing, you’re just arguing with a crowd who is in the same boat as you weirdly
Ok

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I don’t think so. Ottawa needed the bruins to take back salary in the deal due to cap restraints and korpisalo gave the bruins a veteran backup.

Maybe goalie Bob said he could work with him but I’m not sure if the bruins had another choice either.
ok thanks, just so much shit being thrown around trying figure out what is true.

Does everyone realize the only place the $10M ask has come from is Rich freaking Keefe and it’s even been denied by a few more well placed media members?
Oh ! Rich said it so it can't be true, I thought it was "Scoop" who said that is important, Rich is no Scoop.:)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Are you reading the thread? The last 5 pages are people calling Swayman every name in the book, selfish, etc, saying let him sit, wishing for Ullmark, saying play Korpisalo all based on the debunked $10m rumor.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Are you reading the thread? The last 5 pages are people calling Swayman every name in the book, selfish, etc, saying let him sit, wishing for Ullmark, saying play Korpisalo all based on the debunked $10m rumor.

Ahh yes it has everything to do with the debunked $10m and nothing to do with the interview he just did saying he has resentment towards management and that he won’t be taking a hometown discount because he doesn’t want to ruin the goalie market.

Just went back and looked. There’s one post calling Swayman selfish but it’s for not taking a hometown discount so the bruins can remain competitive. Nothing to do with $10m.

I blame him.

Plenty of players agree to take a bit less to ensure the team has a better outlook to stay competitive in the long term.

He is selfish and greedy, IMO.

This was that post.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
So I do not mind athletes when they talk about feeding their families and all that they pay a ton in taxes and their earnings will drop off a cliff inevitably mid-late 30s when other people enter their prime earning ages.

I do not mind them branding themselves on social for endorsements.

I do get annoyed when they try and act likethey are entrepreneurs or CEOs or accomplished business men. They are not this at all they are employees with extremely lucrative and cushy jobs with every benefit imaginable throuvht the duration of their contract. They don't take any risks or put up anything or have responsibilities to hundreds of employees or investors etc. Sure they can become this and use their earnings to that effect but a pro sports career to propel your business career is no different than being born into a family of millionairs/billionaires. Swayman has been on the ice for 4 straight early eliminations. And 2/3 regular seasons he was 2nd best goalie on the team.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
So I do not mind athletes when they talk about feeding their families and all that they pay a ton in taxes and their earnings will drop off a cliff inevitably mid-late 30s when other people enter their prime earning ages.

I do get annoyed when they try and act likethey are entrepreneurs or CEOs or accomplished business men. They are not this at all they are employees with extremely lucrative and cushy jobs with every benefit imaginable throuvht the duration of their contract. They don't take any risks or put up anything or have responsibilities to hundreds of employees or investors etc. Sure they can become this and use their earnings to that effect but a pro sports career to propel your business career is no different than being born into a family of millionairs/billionaires. Swayman has been on the ice for 4 straight early eliminations. And 2/3 regular seasons he was 2nd best goalie on the team.
You had me until the bolded

Foolish. No risks?! The sport is insanely dangerous, plenty of guys walk away with their bodies in shambles or their brains literally scrambled. Their entire careers are essentially one very long business trip. God only knows how many athletes miss a birth of their first child, their kid's first day of school or first steps, graduations, etc. I don't care how much money they make, that shit hurts.

I'll never fault an athlete for trying to maximize their earnings. I used to get annoyed by it, but the older I get the more I cheer on the players for getting the bag.

Reactions: Fingertools

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Well obviously you are going to try and make everything he says look real good and the management look like real "A Holes". Just because the Cap in going to increase does not mean you can give him a huge slice and forget about other signings in the next few years.

10 mil is just too much and he has to come back down to earth.

How is that obvious? Because my avatar says "Sway Day" in it? I haven't even said anything about management LMAO.

As for the rest, what's a huge slice? Again looking at how Sweeney handled Rask in nearly the same exact situation, Swayman would be looking at a $9.5 million deal on 8yrs.....that's not far off from the rumors $10 million he wants (which hasn't been confirmed by any reputable source). If you want to talk about signing in the next few years, who are you worried about internally? Whose that guy that you look at us needing to re-sign and feel like Swayman signing a big contract hurts our chances to re-sign that player.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I mind. It bothers me.

It's always struck a nerve with me when they say they have to feed their families.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ned Bouhalassa

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Montreal
Hockey players are entertainers. They make their employers a ton of money. They should make as much as they can negotiate. That’s what entertainers in other fields do.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I mind. It bothers me.

It's always struck a nerve with me when they say they have to feed their families.
If I were a pro athlete I’d be trying to setup the future generations of my family. I would not be talking about it in interviews. I don’t mind that they go after the money but talking about it never looks good.

Reactions: Gordoff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad