Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Since @dugg133 ignored this the last time I asked, I'll ask again and offer it to everyone to answer:

Is anyone here against giving Sway $10 mill per for a term of 4-8 years?
I am.

Anything above $9mil AAV and I want the term capped at 4yrs. Preferably less. I like the player, but I have a fundamental issue with paying a goalie, ANY GOALIE, that big of a salary for that much term.

The higher the AAV, the shorter the term. He can have one, but not both.

Last edited:

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Do you know how often those high end UFA's make it to the market? Very rarely. Signing Swayman to a big contract doesn't hurt your long term ability to sign other players.....just like signing McAvoy & Pasrnak to big money deals didn't hurt our ability.....or TBL having Hedman, Stamkos, Kucherov & Vasi signed to big deals didn't hurt their ability to bring guys in
Yes well how come we ran with a bunch of re-threads last season, was it because we really wanted to? Well it would be nice if during the season a player comes up for trade and we could fit him under the Cap.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yes well how come we ran with a bunch of re-threads last season, was it because we really wanted to? Well it would be nice if during the season a player comes up for trade and we could fit him under the Cap.

Because we had $4.5 million in bonus money from the year before from Bergeron & Krejci that was on the books.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

Yeah because Pastrnak's big contract sure prevented them from giving big money to the top FA center right?

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The only concern I have, which I sort of admire Sway for anyway, is that he’s not only doing this for him but for goaltenders in general

That’s a hill he may be willing to die on
Wonderful, he is worried about fellow goaltenders, which admirable, but what about his teammates, that he shares Lockeroom with, does it not concern him it might have an effect on one or more of them, salary wise and maybe even costing someone a job. Oh I, forgot to mention maybe, just maybe a championship.

Reactions: Midship and KWbruin

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Wonderful, he is worried about fellow goaltenders, which admirable, but what about his teammates, that he shares Lockeroom with, does it not concern him it might have an effect on one or more of them, salary wise and maybe even costing someone a job. Oh I, forgot to mention maybe, just maybe a championship.

IDK did it not concern Pastrnak or McAvoy?

Kind of odd that Pastrnak & McAvoy are the 8th & 22nd highest paid players in the NHL and no one accuses them of not caring about their teammates.

Delocatedfan

Jun 1, 2021
Whats the dollar amount he is looking for? I thought Boston had a decent chunk of cap space available

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
With all the talk about Swayman being greedy for wanting to be paid, I was curious how people felt when Pastrnak signed the highest deal in franchise history. Let see what the Bruins HF had to say shall we.......

SOOOOOOOO FN HAPPY!!!!!!!!

Best day ever

Fair deal!! Good on Pasta and the B's!!

Fair numbers.

Hallelujah!!!!!

Great job Sweeney!

What a bargain. Big thanks to Pasta for giving the Bs a discount.

This is a VERY good extension. Seems like a 10% discount. It's going to look fine within the next years when the cap spikes.

I'm not sure what you expect a 26 year old 50 goal scorer to sign for....those don't grow on trees.

Seem it was a consensus party for making Pastrnak the biggest contract in franchise history and some even suggested that he left money on the table. Yet Swayman is a POS who doesn't care about his teammates because he wants to be paid like one of the top goalies in the NHL like he is :huh:

Last edited:

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Yeah because Pastrnak's big contract sure prevented them from giving big money to the top FA center right?
You give Mr. Sway 10 mil and you have to subtract from the current roster. He is not worth 10 mil and as such DS assumed 8.6 mil or a good portion of would satisfy his needs. Could be a stupid move by DS but he has managed a lot better that most of us would be capable of.

Reactions: Gordoff

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Since @dugg133 ignored this the last time I asked, I'll ask again and offer it to everyone to answer:

I'm pro-10mil, even though I would be annoyed by it pretty quickly, aka as soon as it prevents spending elsewhere. They just don't have a choice if they want to play meaningful games Spring 2025.

I have lost all hopes of him coming in under 8, and have accepted the situation for what it is. My new best case scenario is in the 8-8.5 range, but I'm starting to think he earns more. Quite a bit more actually.

Earns being a very important word.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

$10 million would leave a bit of distaste as the Bruins can negotiate better based on sample size. It would be better than no Swayman however.

Ideally they settle for $7-8 million long term. Both sides win as with McAvoy and Pastrnak. Contracts can be fair, each cannot be a bargain or overpaid.

Reactions: Gordoff and LSCII

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH

I am. It’s about 2 million a year too much imo. Other than Shesterkin and Bobrovsky there aren’t many goalies making that much in this market. Shesterkin is good and the Panthers pretty much regretted Bob’s contract the day they signed him. Even though he won this year, he’s not worth that contract and Swayman isn’t worth that either.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don’t think it has anything to do with anti corporations/pro employees or anything remotely to do with that.

Fans just realize in a hard cap league there is a finite amount of money they can allocate to certain players before it’s too much where it will hurt winning.
I'd be madder at the GM for taking on Korpisalo's cap or signing Zadorov for $5m than at Swayman for "maybe" wanting 1m more than the team wants to pay him.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Did it not concern McAvoy? E.Lindholm? Pasta? Zadorov? Why is it Swayman's job alone to sacrifice?

Reactions: EverettMike

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
Wish you could still work incentives into a contract for younger players. Messes with the cap, but would rather pay a penalty next season if a guy performs than a penalty every season from overpayment if he doesn’t. Seems a good way to split the difference. You want $10, we want $8, here’s $9 w/an opportunity to hit $10 if you do x, y, & z this year.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
This, exactly. Overpay for stiffs and trash, or overpay for quality. So far, Sweeney loves him the bargain bin, and then overpaying to shop there
Its not a question of whether to overpay, though. That's going to be pretty much a given at this point. The question is the AMOUNT you're willing to overpay, and where you finally draw the line.

I get the fact that we probably will have to go north of $8.5mil. I just don't want to be locked into that contract for more than 4 years. No way I go $10mil, regardless of term.

Reactions: Gordoff

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
He definitely shouldn't get $10M IMO ..still unproven in terms of workload and consistency... a fair amount of risk for the Bruins in this contract ... long term investments in Goalies are dangerous... I'd like to see a 4 year contract around $8M.....if he proves it he gets more here or on the open market in the summer of 2028. Boston has a good track record with goalie development/career resurrection plus our defensive system makes good goalies look great at times (our offensive system does the same for opposing goalies historically lol)...I'm fairly certain we will get another diamond in our pipeline if he isn't there already. I'm on the Sway train and he deserves a sizable raise but he is also replaceable.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I mind. It bothers me.

It's always struck a nerve with me when they say they have to feed their families.

Did it not concern McAvoy? E.Lindholm? Pasta? Zadorov? Why is it Swayman's job alone to sacrifice?
Do you not think that Pasta went to FA he would not have gotten more ? E. Lindholm is a over pay and that is on Sweeney. Mc Avoy, I wish came in a little less, but he would have been scooped up in no time if he was to hit FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad