Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
He definitely shouldn't get $10M IMO ..still unproven in terms of workload and consistency... a fair amount of risk for the Bruins in this contract ... long term investments in Goalies are dangerous... I'd like to see a 4 year contract around $8M.....if he proves it he gets more here or on the open market in the summer of 2028. Boston has a good track record with goalie development/career resurrection plus our defensive system makes good goalies look great at times (our offensive system does the same for opposing goalies historically lol)...I'm fairly certain we will get another diamond in our pipeline if he isn't there already. I'm on the Sway train and he deserves a sizable raise but he is also replaceable.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Do you not think that Pasta went to FA he would not have gotten more ? E. Lindholm is a over pay and that is on Sweeney. Mc Avoy, I wish came in a little less, but he would have been scooped up in no time if he was to hit FA.
No one is asking him to make a sacrifice ,but he has not earned that type of contract that is being tossed around.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
He definitely shouldn't get $10M IMO ..still unproven in terms of workload and consistency... a fair amount of risk for the Bruins in this contract ... long term investments in Goalies are dangerous... I'd like to see a 4 year contract around $8M.....if he proves it he gets more here or on the open market in the summer of 2028. Boston has a good track record with goalie development/career resurrection plus our defensive system makes good goalies look great at times (our offensive system does the same for opposing goalies historically lol)...I'm fairly certain we will get another diamond in our pipeline if he isn't there already. I'm on the Sway train and he deserves a sizable raise but he is also replaceable.
With whom? You want revolve a goalie like Toronto and New Jersey or would you like to lock up a top 5 goalie for the next 8 years?

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm pro-10mil, even though I would be annoyed by it pretty quickly, aka as soon as it prevents spending elsewhere. They just don't have a choice if they want to play meaningful games Spring 2025.

I have lost all hopes of him coming in under 8, and have accepted the situation for what it is. My new best case scenario is in the 8-8.5 range, but I'm starting to think he earns more. Quite a bit more actually.

Earns being a very important word.
Don't buy the rumors on what he's asking for. $10M/yr.... I don't think so.

I believe the Bruins/Sweeney want a deal around 4-5 years which is typical of what the majority of goalies get on term. Most teams don't want the risk of 8 years, don't think the Bruins are any different. With 2 years to go until UFA, a 4-5 year deal will be around the $7M/yr mark.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Don't buy the rumors on what he's asking for. $10M/yr.... I don't think so.

I believe the Bruins/Sweeney want a deal around 4-5 years which is typical of what the majority of goalies get on term. Most teams don't want the risk of 8 years, don't think the Bruins are any different. With 2 years to go until UFA, a 4-5 year deal will be around the $7M/yr mark.
I don’t think he’s asking for a firm 10 either. It may have been a starting point, i would believe that. But a hard line in the sand at 10 doesn’t sound logical. Not to me at least

7mil is equally preposterous to me

Reactions: Grimey

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
With whom? You want revolve a goalie like Toronto and New Jersey or would you like to lock up a top 5 goalie for the next 8 years?
In an ideal world, we'd have Ullmark and his $5mil cap it. Since we blew that move, options are limited. But it doesn't mean you follow up one stupid decision with a second one. Like I said in a previous post....I'm fine paying him$8-9mil, but not for 8 f***ing years. There isn't a single goaltender on the planet that I'd sign for that amount of term.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Internally it would be an audition to see if anyone can run with it...someone might given the opportunity .....externally we trade Swayman for a goalie that coach goalie Bob is high on that costs less and also comes with other draft pics/prospects. Toronto is a special case, they play horrible defense ... it's a goalie unfriendly workplace ..Sway's GAA would go up there IMO. Boston would not become like Toronto if Sway left simply based on our structure... we are truly a goalie friendly workplace

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Is he going to be a top 5 goalie for the next 8 years? 5 years ago Vas, Gibson and Ben Bishop were the top 3 goalies. Bruins have always found or developed goalies. Im not paying inflated price for Swayman. There is a long drop to being theToronto goalie carousel. They like to get a hot goalie and run him into the ground until he sucks or gets hurt. There is no danger of Leafing it. Leafing it would be making Swayman highest paid goalie in the league on RFA deal.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Internally it would be an audition to see if anyone can run with it...someone might given the opportunity .....externally we trade Swayman for a goalie that coach goalie Bob is high on that costs less and also comes with other draft pics/prospects. Toronto is a special case, they play horrible defense ... it's a goalie unfriendly workplace ..Sway's GAA would go up there IMO. Boston would not become like Toronto if Sway left simply based on our structure... we are truly a goalie friendly workplace
Toronto's got over 50% of their cap tied up in 4 players. They couldn't pay for a quality goaltender, even if they wanted to. Not having Swayman in the nets would be a blow to this franchise this coming year. But it isn't the end of the world, either.

We've seen the likes of Stuart Skinner, Aiden Hill, Darcey Keumper, and Anton Khudobin in net for teams in the SC final. You don't need a Cary Price, Bobrovsky or a Vasilevskiy to do it if your lineup is balanced.

Last edited:

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Since @dugg133 ignored this the last time I asked, I'll ask again and offer it to everyone to answer:

Is anyone here against giving Sway $10 mill per for a term of 4-8 years?
I ignored it cause it was totally irrelevant to what I was asking, but no I'm not against giving him that much. I'd prefer not to but I don't think it ages poorly if Sway is the guy we all think he is.

• Haha
Reactions: LSCII

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Do you not think that Pasta went to FA he would not have gotten more ? E. Lindholm is a over pay and that is on Sweeney. Mc Avoy, I wish came in a little less, but he would have been scooped up in no time if he was to hit FA.
That's fine, but it's a completely separate point. If you want to say "This is the price to get this player here because of UFA" or whatever else.. fine and true.

But it's irrelevant to the theory that a player should take less for the good of the team.

If you want to say Swayman should take less because he's an RFA w/ no real leverage- that's a defensible argument, and makes his case different than say Lindholm.

But if you want to say that Swayman should take less so the team can be better, then to me that has nothing to do with free agency status or anything else. Either all players have a duty to take less or no players should..... (btw, I believe no players have that duty)

Reactions: SwayHeyKid

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
In an ideal world, we'd have Ullmark and his $5mil cap it. Since we blew that move, options are limited. But it doesn't mean you follow up one stupid decision with a second one. Like I said in a previous post....I'm fine paying him$8-9mil, but not for 8 f***ing years. There isn't a single goaltender on the planet that I'd sign for that amount of term.
He might take 2/16 but we both know the Bruins don't have the balls to do that. Anything that is 3-6 years makes no sense whatsoever for Swayman unless it's 6/54 or so, which the Bruins I am guessing have no interest in. Max year deal he's going to be looking for 2028 cap aav during the life of the contract.

I guess I just don't understand the consternation about locking up a 25 year old franchise goaltender to an 8 year deal for whatever it takes. He will be 34 at the end of it. Bobrovsky just won the cup and finished 3rd in Vezina voting at 35.

Toronto's got over 50% of their cap tied up in 4 players. They couldn't pay for a quality goaltender, even if they wanted to. Not having Swayman in the nets would be a blow to this franchise this coming year. But it isn't the end of the world, either.

We've had the likes of Stuart Skinner, Aiden Hill, Darcey Keumper, and Anton Khudobin in net for teams in the SC final. You don't need a Cary Price, Bobrovsky or a Vasilevskiy to do it if your lineup is balanced.
The Bruins have literally one player now that would have played top 6 for those teams. The Bruins rely on defense and goaltending. Without Swayman they lose round 1 again. He put on a clinic.

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Is he going to be a top 5 goalie for the next 8 years? 5 years ago Vas, Gibson and Ben Bishop were the top 3 goalies. Bruins have always found or developed goalies. Im not paying inflated price for Swayman. There is a long drop to being theToronto goalie carousel. They like to get a hot goalie and run him into the ground until he sucks or gets hurt. There is no danger of Leafing it. Leafing it would be making Swayman highest paid goalie in the league on RFA deal.
Ok, give him two years then and let him walk after

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
If that's how the Bruins feel then they just deal him now while he has huge value. Preds got a 1 and 1st round prospect for Askarov. What does that make Swayman worth? 2 1's, a top prospect and good goalie? How about 2 1's, Nate Danielson and one of their goalies for Sway? A Husso/Korpi tandem would surely lead the Bruins to the promised land

Does it have to be 2 or 8? How about 4? You seem to be very binary. Its either Swayman or we become the Leafs. If he wont sign him for 8, we need to walk him to UFA. There is plenty of space between your extremes.
why would he take 4? Why would he allow them to buy 2 UFA years? Makes zero sense, unless they would offer 9mil or so (which I doubt they would) Would you sign for for 4 years at your company when in 2 you'll be free to go anywhere in a bidding war with 25 other teams instead of your current one option?

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
If that's how the Bruins feel then they just deal him now while he has huge value. Preds got a 1 and 1st round prospect for Askarov. What does that make Swayman worth? 2 1's, a top prospect and good goalie? How about 2 1's, Nate Danielson and one of their goalies for Sway? A Husso/Korpi tandem would surely lead the Bruins to the promised land

why would he take 4? Why would he allow them to buy 2 UFA years? Makes zero sense, unless they would offer 9mil or so (which I doubt they would) Would you sign for for 4 years at your company when in 2 you'll be free to go anywhere in a bidding war with 25 other teams instead of your current one option?
Why wouldnt he take 4? If he is a top five goalie like you say, his next contract should be much bigger as cap will be much higher. He doesnt really have leverage as RFA to "allow" anything. He either compromises and signs a contract or plays in Europe. Then we can all yell at Sweeney if Korpisalo sucks to start the year. You cant Leaf it and overpay.

Either way, I'd start planning for his replacement. His agent seems like a pain in the ass.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY
I'm not educated on all the contract stipulations and everything but if I were in Swayman's shoes and confident in myself and knew the cap was rising, I'd take a shorter term deal now and then cash in a few years down the road when the $ is undeniable.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
That's fine, but it's a completely separate point. If you want to say "This is the price to get this player here because of UFA" or whatever else.. fine and true.

But it's irrelevant to the theory that a player should take less for the good of the team.

If you want to say Swayman should take less because he's an RFA w/ no real leverage- that's a defensible argument, and makes his case different than say Lindholm.

But if you want to say that Swayman should take less so the team can be better, then to me that has nothing to do with free agency status or anything else. Either all players have a duty to take less or no players should..... (btw, I believe no players have that duty)
I really never said any such thing, he should go get what he thinks he deserves, and I say good luck to him and his family. The Bruins have a obligation to put out the best team they can possibly put out there, and in doing so they need to make decisions that are not always popular and not always right.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
I'm not educated on all the contract stipulations and everything but if I were in Swayman's shoes and confident in myself and knew the cap was rising, I'd take a shorter term deal now and then cash in a few years down the road when the $ is undeniable.
The problem is guaranteed money now vs. potential money in the future. He’s smart to cash in now. He could get lit up next season and lose all value he has or he could stand on his head and make more. It’s a gamble. One I wouldn’t take if I were in his shoes errr skates.

Take the money and run.

I just have to chuckle at the main board thread regarding Swayman. The last page of posts is all about the Leafs. It’s like there is no thread that’s ever been posted in the main board that hasn’t devolved into Leafs talk

Jim

Mar 11, 2002
Rochester NY
Preds dealt from a position of strength. They had their starter and back-up chosen. Bruins might have taken that position when they had Ulmark, not now. Even if you got three 1st rounders for Swayman, talk about dooming a season to mediocrity after spending big in free agency. And that’s assuming we signed a legit starter during the next fee agency period.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I ignored it cause it was totally irrelevant to what I was asking, but no I'm not against giving him that much. I'd prefer not to but I don't think it ages poorly if Sway is the guy we all think he is.
Uh huh, sure you did. Sure you did…:naughty:

Why wouldnt he take 4? If he is a top five goalie like you say, his next contract should be much bigger as cap will be much higher. He doesnt really have leverage as RFA to "allow" anything. He either compromises and signs a contract or plays in Europe. Then we can all yell at Sweeney if Korpisalo sucks to start the year. You cant Leaf it and overpay.

Either way, I'd start planning for his replacement. His agent seems like a pain in the ass.
It’s a physical sport and injury is always a risk. If he can get 6-8 years now guaranteed, why wouldn’t he?

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Uh huh, sure you did. Sure you did…:naughty:

It’s a physical sport and injury is always a risk. If he can get 6-8 years now guaranteed, why wouldn’t he?
He can at the Bruins price. You dont think the Bruins offered 6-8 year deal as option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad