Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
In my opinion, Swayman will sign. I cannot foresee a situation where that doesn’t happen.

The speculation and degree of nastiness we’ve seen in these threads is nothing more than fear, boredom/impatience for the season to start.

We should all chill out on this and cut each other some slack.

He signs and we will have kind of a fun season, I think.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Long term 7.75 × 8 yrs is fair ...least to me.Again the numbers might be different but he will be signing with Bruins regardless for my money.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
so you think the bruins going from swayman/Ullmark to korpisalo/bussi is only a couple points difference in the standings?

I think it’s a 6-8 game difference.

Well that makes a ton of sense regarding your position.

I think it’s a potential to miss the playoffs and will result in

I mean if you think Swayman is sitting out all year, sure. But that’s crazy talk. Pastrnak, McAvoy, Marchand…the entire leadership core here…all signed their big deals later in the offseason than this. The summer overreaction is in full swing right now.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I mean if you think Swayman is sitting out all year, sure. But that’s crazy talk. Pastrnak, McAvoy, Marchand…the entire leadership core here…all signed their big deals later in the offseason than this. The summer overreaction is in full swing right now.

Well now this is just changing the entire scope of the conversation from whether or not swayman had more leverage with Ullmark here.

However despite as much as you try to move away from your original comments…

Scenarios and “what ifs” are a central part of negotiations.

Swayman is 100% percent making it known the bruins are in a much worse situation HYPOTHETICALLY (because hypothetical situations are massive parts of negotiations) without him and Ullmark on the roster.

Sweeney and company are 100% meeting and going through all scenarios and “what ifs”

- what if we sign him, how does that impact our team

-what if we sign him how does that impact our future cap

-what if he holds out( and for how long), how does that impact this season

And many many more scenarios/what ifs are being played out.

What ifs and hypotheticals are a central part of the negotiation process. It’s called doing your due dilligence in weighing all possible outcomes.

Reactions: KWbruin

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Well now this is just changing the entire scope of the conversation from whether or not swayman had more leverage with Ullmark here.

However despite as much as you try to move away from your original comments…

Scenarios and “what ifs” are a central part of negotiations.

Swayman is 100% percent making it known the bruins are in a much worse situation HYPOTHETICALLY (because hypothetical situations are massive parts of negotiations) without him and Ullmark on the roster.

Sweeney and company are 100% meeting and going through all scenarios and “what ifs”

- what if we sign him, how does that impact our team

-what if we sign him how does that impact our future cap

-what if he holds out( and for how long), how does that impact this season

And many many more scenarios/what ifs are being played out.

What ifs and hypotheticals are a central part of the negotiation process. It’s called doing your due dilligence in weighing all possible outcomes.

Swayman has way more to lose sitting out a year than the Bruins do. That’s why it’s just not enough of a part of the calculus to spend a lot of time on. He even has way more to lose if he sits out until after the season starts because of how cap hits get calculated for contracts that get signed after the start of the season. The longer he waits to sign after the season starts, the less AAV the Bruins could fit.

Reactions: KWbruin

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Swayman has way more to lose sitting out a year than the Bruins do. That’s why it’s just not enough of a part of the calculus to spend a lot of time on. He even has way more to lose if he sits out until after the season starts because of how cap hits get calculated for contracts that get signed after the start of the season.

I think bruins are potentially missing the playoffs even if swayman holds out until December. They need him for the full season.

That’s what roughly 25 games with some of the league worst goaltending?

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Swayman has way more to lose sitting out a year than the Bruins do. That’s why it’s just not enough of a part of the calculus to spend a lot of time on. He even has way more to lose if he sits out until after the season starts because of how cap hits get calculated for contracts that get signed after the start of the season. The longer he waits to sign after the season starts, the less AAV the Bruins could fit.
I would imagine he could short change himself for the next two seasons and sign his qualifiers, but that would be ultra risky. I would imagine it gets done, just seems like a very noisy situation which is different from Mac and Pasta from what I remember?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I would imagine he could short change himself for the next two seasons and sign his qualifiers, but that would be ultra risky. I would imagine it gets done, just seems like a very noisy situation which is different from Mac and Pasta from what I remember?

He had to sign qualifier back in July

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Not worth what he's looking for, yet. At this point, they should give him a 1 year bridge deal at $7M, see how he performs as a true #1 then lock him up long-term next season, a year before his UFA status.

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Not worth what he's looking for, yet. At this point, they should give him a 1 year bridge deal at $7M, see how he performs as a true #1 then lock him up long-term next season, a year before his UFA status.
And how would Swayman’s side feel about that?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
They should feel especially motivated to put their $ where their mouths are. It's not like the B's won't pay, but his sample size isn't big enough to get paid with the elite yet.
For a one year deal that doesn’t get him to UFA? At under market value? Hardly.

Reactions: DominicT

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
They should feel especially motivated to put their $ where their mouths are. It's not like the B's won't pay, but his sample size isn't big enough to get paid with the elite yet.
You are right about sample size, but he would be taking a big risk for one if an injury occurs.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
This is a bit misleading.

Unless I'm reading the contracts on PuckPedia incorrectly....

Marchand did sign his 3rd contract later in the offseason, on September 7. But he still had a year left on his prior deal when he did that. He signed his 4th contract (his current one) on Sept 26... but also a year early.

McAvoy signed his big contract on Oct 15 2021. Again he still had a year left on his 2nd contract when he did.

Pastrnak did sign his 2nd contract later in the offseason (Sept 14) so that one is true. Though he did sign his 3rd contract in March while still playing under 2nd.

Swayman will get done eventually because there is no other option for him.

Why would he sign a 1 year deal?

Reactions: wintersej

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
So he signs a year and proves it. At the end of the year, he's still an RFA and they are in the same position. What happens if the B's sign some free agents on July 1 and say "Sorry Sway we only have $6m left under the cap. We'll give you $5.5?"

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
For a one year deal that doesn’t get him to UFA? At under market value? Hardly.

I'd say Swayman's market value is somewhere between 5-6, even with just 132 games of NHL experience. If he's looking for $ in the Helleybuyck to Vasilevskiy range, he's dreaming. They paid their dues....500+ NHL games and one guy has 2 cups.

That's why I say let him ride a full season, prove himself, increase his sample size, then see if he's worth what he'as asking.

1725198952186.png

Reactions: BBruins and Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
If it ends up at 10-12M per, who we cutting to get under cap?
I have no idea.

But it will be someone they can afford to cut, in more than one way.

That Evan Gold 🥇 stuff I don't worry about. They will certainly figure that out. If they can afford to give Tyler Johnson a pto, they can cut who needs to be cut, should cuts be needed.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I'd say Swayman's market value is somewhere between 5-6, even with just 132 games of NHL experience. If he's looking for $ in the Helleybuyck to Vasilevskiy range, he's dreaming. They paid their dues....500+ NHL games and one guy has 2 cups.

That's why I say let him ride a full season, prove himself, increase his sample size, then see if he's worth what he'as asking.

View attachment 904427
It’s not 5-6. It not really close to that.

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
So he signs a year and proves it. At the end of the year, he's still an RFA and they are in the same position. What happens if the B's sign some free agents on July 1 and say "Sorry Sway we only have $6m left under the cap. We'll give you $5.5?"
Unfortunately, that's an ongoing conondrum of the cap era. Those tough decisions are perpetual and I guess there's a reason our Economics Harvard graduate GM gets paid the big $....to figure out how to make it work, sometimes with collateral damage.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Just as the B's would be taking a risk to shell out $8M+ long-term on a modest sample size. Risk sharing should be a partnership.
Well, Swayman is not signing for one year and the Bruins are not giving him the farm on an 8 year, so what do propose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad