Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Well, Swayman is not signing for one year and the Bruins are not giving him the farm on an 8 year, so what do propose?
I don't think anyone on this board believes he is worth Helleybuyck's $8.5M type of money, yet...at least he has 500+ NHL games. If not for a 1-year bridge deal, I would not go more than 5 x $7.5M.

• Haha
Reactions: Carbonated Puck

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don't think anyone on this board believes he is worth Helleybuyck's $8.5M type of money, yet...at least he has 500+ NHL games. If not for a 1-year bridge deal, I would not go more than 5 x $7.5M.
You’re paying for future performance. Like Brock Faber, Seth Jarvis, etc. That’s what you do with young players.

Reactions: UncleRico

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Hellebuyck, has 5 seasons over 60 games, 7 seasons over 50 games, Swayman hasn't even sniffed 50 games. You are right not giving him even close to Helleybuyck money.

Reactions: BBruins

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Unfortunately, that's an ongoing conondrum of the cap era. Those tough decisions are perpetual and I guess there's a reason our Economics Harvard graduate GM gets paid the big $....to figure out how to make it work, sometimes with collateral damage.
The same Harvard graduate who decided to give Jimmy Hayes 3 x 2.3 and ended up buying out the last season? Or Mike Reilly 3 x 3m... and ended up buying him out after 2 seasons? Or signed Derek Forbort 3 x 3m, or Nick Foligno 2 x 3.8 or David Backes 5 x 6m and had to send draft picks to get rid of his contract? It's true that ALL teams have to deal with that in the cap era... it doesn't take a Harvard degree to figure out how to use a spreadsheet to do the math for you.

The math is the easiest part. The hard part is knowing what players deserve the money and what players don't. If you think Swayman deserves the same amount as Nikita Zadorov then I don't think we are going to agree on things.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
This is a bit misleading.

Unless I'm reading the contracts on PuckPedia incorrectly....

Marchand did sign his 3rd contract later in the offseason, on September 7. But he still had a year left on his prior deal when he did that. He signed his 4th contract (his current one) on Sept 26... but also a year early.

McAvoy signed his big contract on Oct 15 2021. Again he still had a year left on his 2nd contract when he did.

Pastrnak did sign his 2nd contract later in the offseason (Sept 14) so that one is true. Though he did sign his 3rd contract in March while still playing under 2nd.

Swayman will get done eventually because there is no other option for him.

Why would he sign a 1 year deal?

Yes I misremembered.

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
The math is the easiest part. The hard part is knowing what players deserve the money and what players don't. If you think Swayman deserves the same amount as Nikita Zadorov then I don't think we are going to agree on things.

Amount and terms are 2 different aspects. I think he should get Zadorov type term, but more AAV than him.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Amount and terms are 2 different aspects. I think he should get Zadorov type term, but more AAV than him.
Just wondering, what salary would you give to a guy who was statistically the worst goalie in the league last year and who might play 20 games for you this year?

• Haha
Reactions: KWbruin

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
Big different taking chances on positional players, I am not taking that gamble with a goalie that hasn't proven he can be a true number one.

He could be another Andrew Raycroft for all we know.
And who's fault is that? Guessing he was the one that came up with the goalie rotation?

He did play 56 games last year incl playoffs and is only 25. I think he can handle 55-60 and play-offs. He's the kind of guy you hitch your wagon to. Kind of shocked there are so many detractors.

Reactions: Fenian24

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Well, Swayman is not signing for one year and the Bruins are not giving him the farm on an 8 year, so what do propose?

If I am Swayman, I am gunning for a 4 year deal then. Then at 29 he can go for a cap adjusted Helly-like retirement deal. At 4x7 and then a second deal late that is something like 8x10 (based on the cap going up around 4 a year until then). I would assume Boston would push for less than 7AAV on a deal that only buys two UFA years, though.

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Swayman is a stud, but he hasn't earned top 3 money, or the right to set the standard for future goaltenders, due to the rising cap......"YET"
He's yet to play 50G or more of the regular season. In fact after his hot start , that earned him a deserved All Star game, he crashed down to earth. Basically until the playoffs. People might forget that it was Ullmark that came alive post All Star break and played the better of the 2.
Now Sway was the B's best player in the Playoffs. No doubt, but he's "yet" to prove the consistency that Helly(repeatedly carries an average to poor team), Shesterkin(top 3 goalie in the world), Soroykin(carries an average to poor team), or Vasilevskiy(top 3 goalie in the world) have.
Will he get there? It's hard to believe he won't, but, at this point of his career, the top end money has to wait. I think 3x7-7.5M is a fair contract that takes him to FA. In year 3 they can negotiate an extension for the top of the market if he deserves it.

He is obviously bitter about arbitration and I'm sure the NHLPA would love to see him push the 1st down marker on goalie contracts. But, as good as he is and how much better, he most likely will be, 8-10M/yr is too much, too soon.

If he holds out and you can get an equivalent stud at forward, I'd trade him.
The Bruins mismanaged their goalie situation badly. At this point keeping Linus and trading Sway would have made sense, under these circumstances.(I'd prefer to sign Swayman for reasonable money)

Blast away, it's only an opinion.

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
And who's fault is that? Guessing he was the one that came up with the goalie rotation?

He did play 56 games last year incl playoffs and is only 25. I think he can handle 55-60 and play-offs. He's the kind of guy you hitch your wagon to. Kind of shocked there are so many detractors.
Lots of goalies look like the next one until they are not. He hasn't earned a long term highest paid goalie in the NHL.

He sounds like he's more concern about getting goalie deals to trend toward the roof rather than getting a deal done before the season.

I don't give a shit about him learning more about the business side of Hockey, How about learning to be a reliable number one goalie first.

So far this kid is all talk let see if he walks the walk

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Lots of goalies look like the next one until they are not. He hasn't earned a long term highest paid goalie in the NHL.

He sounds like he's more concern about getting goalie deals to trend toward the roof rather than getting a deal done before the season.

I don't give a shit about him learning more about the business side of Hockey, How about learning to be a reliable number one goalie first.

So far this kid is all talk let see if he walks the walk
Ok so what is the deal then? A 2 year deal that walks him to free agency?

SwayHeyKid

Mar 14, 2022
This thread is legit comedy gold. Playoffs he’s the next one, young superstar where there is no limit to what he can do

Now, what? He wants to get paid? Bussi and Korpisalo will be fine it’s a goalie system, guy is not a proven 1, you don’t pay goalies long term etc etc

Is there a special HF payment program from Jacobs where you knock the players and fluff management?

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Give three see where it goes. They have no choice but to not let this kid bend them over.

He still sounds bitter over arbitration, ironic that he says he's learning the business side of Hockey.

Doubt he signs long term regardless of the amount anyway because of it.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Swayman is a stud, but he hasn't earned top 3 money, or the right to set the standard for future goaltenders, due to the rising cap......"YET"
He's yet to play 50G or more of the regular season. In fact after his hot start , that earned him a deserved All Star game, he crashed down to earth. Basically until the playoffs. People might forget that it was Ullmark that came alive post All Star break and played the better of the 2.
Now Sway was the B's best player in the Playoffs. No doubt, but he's "yet" to prove the consistency that Helly(repeatedly carries a average to poor team), Shesterkin(top 3 goalie in the world), Soroykin(carries a average to poor team), or Vasilevskiy(top 3 golaie in the world) have.
Will he get there? It's hard to believe he won't, but, at this point of his career, the top end money has to wait. I think 3x7-7.5M is a fair contract that takes him to FA. In year 3 they can negotiate an extension for the top of the market if he deserves it.

He is obviously bitter about arbitration and I'm sure the NHLPA would love to see him push the 1st down marker on goalie contracts. But, as good as he is and how much better, he most likely will be, 8-10M/yr is too much, too soon.

If he holds out and you can get an equivalent stud at forward, I'd trade him.
The Bruins mismanaged their goalie situation badly. At this point keeping Linus and trading Sway would have made sense, under these circumstances.(I'd prefer to sign Swayman for reasonable money)

Blast away, it's only an opinion.
Naah, I agree with yoiur point. IMO they should've given Swayman a bit more for longer than a year last year. Maybe a 2 -4 year deal since they were somewhat sure of the cap going up. Now, all of the "experts" are saying that the cap is going through the roof in the next couple years and Swayman wants that money guaranteed. He took exception to the Arbitration process and it hurt his feelings and now he wants his pound of flesh.
Sweeney really should've thought about where both goalies were in the process and last year assured that Swaymans next contract wouldn't be at around or after moving Ullmark. Now it's too late to control the situation, Sweeney gave away his leverage. IMO it all goes back to last years Swayman contract arbitration battle.

Reactions: Mad-Marcus

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Give three see where it goes. They have no choice but to not let this kid bend them over.

He still sounds bitter over arbitration, ironic that he says he's learning the business side of Hockey.

Doubt he signs long term regardless of the amount anyway because of it.
Three years and the GM should get fired. No GM in the league would do that. Mike Grier wouldn’t do that. Even Chuck Fletcher wouldn’t have done that.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Four years. Give him the Shesterkin - medium years, medium-high dollars. 4 years, $6.5m.

Eliminates the chance of super long term regret while allowing Swayman to cash in big if he wins the Vezina over the next few seasons.

Everyone walks away happy.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If I am Swayman, I am gunning for a 4 year deal then. Then at 29 he can go for a cap adjusted Helly-like retirement deal. At 4x7 and then a second deal late that is something like 8x10 (based on the cap going up around 4 a year until then). I would assume Boston would push for less than 7AAV on a deal that only buys two UFA years, though.

If you go the way you talk with the cap growth i thing you are looking at 8 for 12-14 million, especially if he has proven to be the player he was in 2024

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Four years. Give him the Shesterkin - medium years, medium-high dollars. 4 years, $6.5m.

Eliminates the chance of super long term regret while allowing Swayman to cash in big if he wins the Vezina over the next few seasons.

Everyone walks away happy.
I don’t think there’s any way Swayman signs anything with a 6 on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad