Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman II - still waiting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I absolutely don't blame Swayman for getting his money and I love him as a player, I just would rather trade him than sign him for 9M+ for 8 years

What's the over/under on the figure you'd be happy to keep him for?

History says you can win a Cup with an average goalie, but equally it sure doesn't hurt to have a good one. And the Bruins have relied on great goaltending for well over a decade now. To have anything less would be a shock and I don't think they're setup, at all, to succeed with so-so netminding. Not in the short term anyway.

Their options then were to go cheap, keep Ullmark instead despite him being 6 years older, somehow find someone else competent in a flat market, or pay up big (probably) for Sway. I think when you look at it like that keeping Jez was always the only logical decision. Like you I'd prefer it turns out not to be for too huge a cost, but Boston's just going to have to wear it at this point and hope it's not too steep and proves good value in the long run.

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
I blame him.

Plenty of players agree to take a bit less to ensure the team has a better outlook to stay competitive in the long term.

He is selfish and greedy, IMO.

He has every right to get the best deal possible, with that being said I'm out on him.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Just forget trying to come to reasonable terms with him, he is still friggin crying about being taken to arbitration last season.

He has to grow up and quit being a selfish little brat.

I have been a Bruins fan for years and wish the best for the team wether it be with Swayman or not.

Somebody make up their mind on this situation.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
Just forget trying to come to reasonable terms with him, he is still friggin crying about being taken to arbitration last season.

He has to grow up and quit being a selfish little brat.

I have been a Bruins fan for years and wish the best for the team wether it be with Swayman or not.

Somebody make up their mind on this situation.
Swayman and his agent elected to go to arbitration, no one held a gun to his head!.

Reactions: Gordoff

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Been reading a lot about how he is angling for 10 mill which is absurd. 7 mill or he can walk at this stage.

Ridiculous situation but trading their leverage in Ullmark was always playing into Swayman and his agent's game.

Always felt Swayman was a wolf in sheep's clothing i.e. self interested mercenary despite all the sound bites and the appearance he's a jolly nice guy and Bruin for life shtick.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Been reading a lot about how he is angling for 10 mill which is absurd. 7 mill or he can walk at this stage.

Ridiculous situation but trading their leverage in Ullmark was always playing into Swayman and his agent's game.

Always felt Swayman was a wolf in sheep's clothing i.e. self interested mercenary despite all the sound bites and the appearance he's a jolly nice guy and Bruin for life shtick.

I wouldn't go that far but he does make for an interesting little character study. The nickname ‘Bulldog’ is surely well-earned. He’s super-competitive, feisty, and has a semi-common trait amongst pro-athletes where he deliberately goes looking for sleights and perceived doubts about his ability/value (like the arbitration) as motivators for his performance. He has a chip on his shoulder and he knowingly wants to keep it there. But there’s a more chilled and down-to-earth side too, which being from Alaska probably feeds into.

The two traits produce interesting contrasts. I have zero doubt that his seemingly very close friendship with Ullmark is 100% genuine. True affection and each would wish the other nothing but success. However this has not stood in the way of him ruthlessly coveting the no. 1 goalie spot and being clearly and very vocally eager to be ‘the guy’ in the playoffs, exclusively if possible. One suspects that if Linus were the frontrunner he’d have been more willing to share, and if I were in Sway’s place I could not have treated a good friend thus, even though it were incidental and if I truly thought it were the best thing for the team. But quite possibly that competitive streak and complete self-belief are what makes him the better goalie, and why he is a top athlete and the likes of me are not.

Swayman allegedly seeking a high salary for me then arguably comes mainly from at least three things – huge self-belief, that chip on the shoulder mindset slightly shifted to the ongoing motivation to prove the value of a big contract, and his self-professed business savvy where he wants to show he can play the negotiating game to his advantage. I don’t think he’ll see a high cap hit as hurting the team, rather he’ll think that it’s going to be money well spent because he can deliver in a critical role. I think he's loyal enough to the Bruins but there's limits to that and self-interest ultimately comes first. On top of that, almost no-one short-changes themselves anymore. Why would you? 32 teams, supposed cap parity, the odds of winning a Cup are smaller than ever and the likelihood of doing so because one or two guys took ‘team friendly’ deals would go up by such an infinitesimal amount that it makes zero sense to do it. Take what you can get and let the GMs worry about the rest of the roster.

But end of the day, none of that really matters. He’s going to get paid a certain amount and then it’s on him to perform to that level. Money in itself is never the problem if things go south. It’s either (lack of) performance relative to cost, long-term injury, or bad attitude/behavior. If Sway wants high stakes for himself then it’s on him to make good on them, and if the Bruins have seriously doubts then it’s on them to walk away or find a way to move him on. The point where I criticize him for dealing in serious $$$ only comes if and when he can’t back it up.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney knew Swayman is soft when he made the Ullmark deal, and would be crying about them saying in arbitration he didn’t have the work load or won a round during arbitration.

Why Sorcerer Bob recommended getting Korpi in the Ullmark deal.

What the Bruins didn’t know is Swayman was going to get all educated and out brain the front office

I think in the end Donny sends Evan Gold to Macy’s and buys Sway a couple of sweaters and gets him an honorary degree from Stonehill

Sweeney needs to resolve because both radio stations are trashing Swayman demands

I’m going out to my Friday morning breakfast with my paint-by-numbers group at Panera (sip club pretty good) and we will figure out a solution to this. Hoping Razor drops by so we can get some inside info

#SWAYISGREEDY

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Sweeney knew Swayman is soft when he made the Ullmark deal, and would be crying about them saying in arbitration he didn’t have the work load or won a round during arbitration.

What the Bruins didn’t know is Swayman was going to get all educated and out brain the front office

I think in the end Donny sends Evan Gold to Macy’s and buys Sway a couple of sweaters and gets him an honorary degree from Stonehill

Sweeney needs to resolve because both radio stations are trashing Swayman demands

I’m going out to my Friday morning breakfast with my paint-by-numbers group at Panera (sip club pretty good) and we will figure out a solution to this. Hoping Razor drops by so we can get some inside info

#SWAYISGREEDY

He's an up and coming goalie for sure but can't see the Bruins paying that much for a goalie who hasn't handled full starter duties.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I know but he keeps on mentioning it was difficult, it is f***** time to live in the present not the past. Get over it.

Because he's asked about it in interviews lol.

He's an up and coming goalie for sure but can't see the Bruins paying that much for a goalie who hasn't handled full starter duties.

They paid Rask who hadn't handled a full staters duty

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
I'm not sure when we became leaf fans and started attacking players for getting their just contracts or expecting every superstar to take a 3 mil pay cut for the honor of wearing the spoked B. Rask, Pasta and Mac all got similar type deals and no one batted an eye or called them selfish or soft for wanting to be paid.

Reactions: HustleB

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

They paid Rask the equivalent of $9.5m a year in today's cap without ever handling full starter duties.

I love how everyone is all anti corporations and pro employees until it involves pro athletes then all of a sudden it becomes "kiss the boot and be happy with what they give you"

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

#SWAYISGREEDY
Is that true that it was recommended that they get Korpisalo ? If true that shines a different light on this situation. If true that is an interesting bit of information.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Because he's asked about it in interviews lol.

They paid Rask who hadn't handled a full staters duty
Well obviously you are going to try and make everything he says look real good and the management look like real "A Holes". Just because the Cap in going to increase does not mean you can give him a huge slice and forget about other signings in the next few years.

10 mil is just too much and he has to come back down to earth.

Reactions: Hookslide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad