Islanders Point Blank: Jaro & Berube agent Walsh not happy with 3 goalie rotation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Let's not forget Halak got off to a slow start in 14-15 too and was even benched briefly for Johnson. He's not usually a fast starter, last year was an abberation.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Are you serious with this post? On so many levels I dont even know why I am wasting my time responding. First Sorokin who I assume you are referring to is 21 and dominating a league for 2 years now with far better players than the AHL. Berube is 26 and his AHL numbers have not even been that impressive.
Second, Halak is a proven goalie in the NHL. He may not be a top 10 or even top 15, but he is a proven starting goalie in the NHL. Berube on the other hand has proven nothing. So you want to get rid of Halak (probably for a fourth round pick) and go with a career backup goalie with one breakout season and a 26 year old AHL journeyman who has proven nothing in the NHL. Are we the Buffalo sabres/Arizona Coyotes, or a team that is 8 years into a rebuild and supposed to be contenders?

Actually, absent Halak's MON performance in the playoffs years ago, he's done jack squat in the playoffs. Heck, WAS didn't even use him in the playoffs...he was terrible in Game 5 vs. WAS.

It seems Isles fans are a little too hung up on some fantasy that Halak is some amazing playoff goalie. He's a starter sure. So, is Cam Ward, Robin Lehner, and Kari Lethonen...

Look, Greiss led the team to the playoffs last year AND won a playoff series. Jaro sucked in Game 5 vs. WAS. That's a game he should have stepped up and didn't. Greiss stepped up during Jaros absence and won. Pretty simple.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Actually, absent Halak's MON performance in the playoffs years ago, he's done jack squat in the playoffs. Heck, WAS didn't even use him in the playoffs...he was terrible in Game 6 vs. WAS.

It seems Isles fans are a little too hung up on some fantasy that Halak is some amazing playoff goalie. He's a starter sure. So, is Cam Ward, Robin Lehner, and Kari Lethonen...

Look, Greiss led the team to the playoffs last year AND won a playoff series. Jaro sucked in Game 6 vs. WAS, forcing game 7. That's a game he should have stepped up and didn't. Greiss stepped up during Jaros absence and won. Pretty simple.

Game 6? The game we won 3-1?

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
And what is John Tavares? Chopped liver? It is about who you surround your superstar with. Edmonton's third line wingers are currently better than our first line wingers.
Tavares is a great talent but not a generational talent. Mcdavid is already better than Tavares and he just 19. The Oilers had 4 1st overall pick, plus two top four picks with Draisaitl and Puljujarvii. That too it helps! And the season is still early...

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Actually, absent Halak's MON performance in the playoffs years ago, he's done jack squat in the playoffs. Heck, WAS didn't even use him in the playoffs...he was terrible in Game 5 vs. WAS.

Look, Greiss led the team to the playoffs last year AND won a playoff series. Jaro sucked in Game 5 vs. WAS. That's a game he should have stepped up and didn't. Greiss stepped up during Jaros absence and won. Pretty simple.

WAS (WSH) didn't even use him in the playoffs? How would they have even been able to? They didn't make the playoffs that year.

Not getting your facts straight can really hurt your mental gymnastics, you know. Or maybe not, what do I know.:laugh:

lovegun

Jul 5, 2013
Sault Ste Marie
Tavares is a great talent but not a generational talent. Mcdavid is already better than Tavares and he just 19. The Oilers had 4 1st overall pick, plus two top four picks with Draisaitl and Puljujarvii. That too it helps! And the season is still early...
I totally agree, which is why I hated to see Edmonton win the McDavid lottery, as the Oilers are on a faster track to win another Cup than we are now, which absolutely sucks :banghead: We need to make more Reinhart type deals with them to slow them down and speed us up and we definitely need to trade a goalie, preferably Halak.

attilatheislander

It's Mr. Chicken Little to you!
Oct 10, 2014
California
This situation has some--not 100%--but some similarities with last year's Hamonic trade request: revelation to the media, discarding a player, limited trading partners, and most importantly Garth's PATIENCE. That was the rare non-move we've learned about. It is also recent enough for Garth to think it might work again.

The problem with the patient approach seems to be that Halak's value won't rise unless 1) a playoff-quality team suffers a significant goalie injury(ies) and becomes desperate; 2) Halak plays lights out, in which case he becomes too valuable for us to discard.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Halak and Greiss are the best options if this team hopes to make the playoffs. The team has 5 million from Grabovski if they choose to do so. The extra potential cap money from moving Halak means nothing when they won't spend it.

Snow is being a stubborn jackass as usual putting his own ego above the team. Berube is a dime a dozen goalie but Snow knows better than 29 other teams.

There is no issue with keeping Berube over Halak. The Isles made their decision and they live or die by the results. They have to move someone. Doing nothing is the bad thing here.

Grabo not on LTIR may be some contract issue. I don't know why they are doing that, but it is what it is. Halak is a known quantity. He will have good value for a team in goaltending hell. LA is there but probably can't eat his full salary.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
WAS (WSH) didn't even use him in the playoffs? How would they have even been able to? They didn't make the playoffs that year.

Not getting your facts straight can really hurt your mental gymnastics, you know. Or maybe not, what do I know.:laugh:

You realize WAS acquired him for the sole purpose to get them into the playoffs? Hence, he wasn't used because he failed in accomplishing that. Subsequently, he was traded to the Isles...needing a starting goalie.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/10557435/jaroslav-halak-traded-washington-capitals-buffalo-sabres

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
So you are basing your entire argument on one game? Greiss had several bad games in the series against Tampa last year. You really make no sense. Sorry.

Nope - there's enough there from several organizations that Halak beyond his MON 'hot' playoff and his 1st season with Isles until game 81 and the playoffs leaves a lot to be desired.

STL was a playoff team and they traded him at the deadline. WAS acquired, he failed, and was gone bc of it plus the 'I won't play vs STL drama.'

The entire team vs TB failed to capitalize on game changing opportunities and lost to the much better team. However, if the capitalized on those chances they may have gone deeper into that series.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Don't really care what Snow does, rather it looks like Halak seems to be an issue at some point during his tenure with other organizations and he's now the Isles problem.

So you want to keep a 3 goalies for no reason because Halak said it like it is. Holy PC society.

Halak and his agent probably told Snow multiple times privately last season and one can only be ignored so long.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
You realize WAS acquired him for the sole purpose to get them into the playoffs? Hence, he wasn't used because he failed in accomplishing that. Subsequently, he was traded to the Isles...needing a starting goalie.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/10557435/jaroslav-halak-traded-washington-capitals-buffalo-sabres

And how exactly is that all relevant when talking about what he has done IN THE PLAYOFFS (which you were doing)? Or relevant at all to our situation right now? Not to mention in those 12 games with Washington he had a .930 Sv%, yeah I bet he was the weak link there.

You're literally just looking for ways how to throw dirt at Halak. But did you know Berube was drafted by the organization who also drafted Quick and Bernier? That's really important, people. Amazing.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Don't disagree the 3 goalie thing sucks. Ever think the offers weren't there in the summer or the offers sucked?

Well according to Staple Snow is not a big fan of Halak. Your not gonna get much more now then in the summer for him. It's a mess. They have no set first line as they have no first line and you have an unstable goalie situation.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
PK, you seriously need to raise the bar of success in your life. what you just stated was over the course of 9 years. That isn't progress.. That's accepting Mediocrity.

Treating winning a playoff round as the equivalent of a Stanley Cup is sad. We need to be better then this.

Agreed. Especially while we have a guy like JT.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
So you want to keep a 3 goalies for no reason because Halak said it like it is. Holy PC society.

Halak and his agent probably told Snow multiple times privately last season and one can only be ignored so long.

Well, Halak went public on his own - that's insubordinate to your employer as an employee. If his agent wants to go public, that's fine, but it ALWAYS reflects on the player, his client.

Halak should go, but he was injured during the only time to trade him (the summer) and needed the WC to be marketable. At this point (and the one prior), Halak has been publicly reacting. Capuano sort of indicated in several instances that Halak's injury was about conditioning or his commitment. To me, ther is more about this story than is publicly known. However, I go back to the same situation - Halak was drama before, he's doing it again.

I would take my chances with Greiss/Berube.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad